Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Appropraite Weight

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • MStewart87
      Participant
      41 posts Send Private Message

I know I am full of questions….Scooby is a 2 year old Holland Lop. When I got him from the breeder (I know I know I should have adopted but I did not know nearly as much as I do now) he was in the cage with Netherland Dwarfs. The breeder said that his mom was a bad mom and refused to feed him so he had to be stuck with a litter of bunnies around the same age as he was so that he would be properly fed.

He went to the vet for his check-up a few months ago and he weighed 2.8 lbs. He is not skinny but he isn’t "plump." He eats really well and is always interested in food. He eats greens once a day and always has hay AND pellets available to him. I know you are only supposed to give like a 1/4 cup of pellets per 6 lbs body weight. He eats way more than that a day but is not overweight. The vet said it would not hurt him to put on a tiny bit of weight. He eats his greens, hay, pellets and treats of course. How would I put a little weight on him? Of course not too much to where he becomes unhealthy.

When I was a  little kid and had a rabbit that we rescued from our backyard that lived outside (again I didn’t know a whole lot about them) he was always fat and never had the amount or quality of diet that Scooby has. I don’t get it haha. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

i’m not a vet… obviously, and i don’t know as much as many of the people on here… but my thoughts on this are based on my human child… the doctor always says… if the child is eating the correct foods in proper amounts, and is happy, active, and healthy [according to the doctor/vet]… does the weight really matter?  is it necessary for your rabbit to plump up?  maybe he’s just small for his age…  maybe he will always be on the lower end of the weight chart…

if i’m way off base here… please correct me.

• MStewart87
          Participant

The vet never said he NEEDS to put on weight like he was too skinny. The vet just said it would not hurt him to put on a little weight. It just seems like people have to really limit the amount of pellets they feed and he always has them available. My boyfriend calls him “piggie” cause he lived for food and treats. He loves the papaya tablets so much that when you open his cage he jumps and in and out and in and out until you give him one, and if you don’t he follows me around until I do.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

lol!  he sounds like such a sweetie!!!  and he’s absolutely adorable…

i wish i could eat whatever i wanted and not gain weight… maybe he just has the metabolism that women wish they could have

i guess i can’t really help you.  i don’t know what to give him to fatten him up.  i know those seed treats are fattening, right?  i’m not sure if it’s a good idea he has that tho…

• osprey
              Participant
              2065 posts Send Private Message

Have you offered him any oat hay?  The little seed heads in oat hay have a few more calories that the regular grass hay, but they are not loaded with calcium like alfalfa is. 

• Floppy
                Participant
                490 posts Send Private Message

Holland Lops are suppose to be 3-4 lbs max. If you plan on showing your lop
                  I read somewhere that the “appropriate” weight for that is around 3.5… my
                  bunny I swear he looks heavier than he really is…all that fur! LOL he is a lop
                  too and he was weighed before he got neutered and he was a lil over 3 lbs.
                  My lop eats Timothy Pellets, greens and Timothy hay.

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

I wonder if his lack of enough to eat as a baby effected his digestive system when it was developing? Another thing that I know we’ve used in the past with haven bunnies is oat groats or wild oats sprinkled on pellets, you should be able to get them at a feed store.

• MStewart87
                    Participant

Humm I need to find out where to get all of this stuff. I order most of my food from Oxbow or Rabbit Stop depending on how much stuff I need and I just buy his treats at PetsMart. Are there any vegetables or fruits that are more fattening than others that are still somewhat healthy?

• skunklionshow
                      Participant
                      1257 posts Send Private Message

My Jessica is a chunky monkey!  She’s a netherland dwarf and weighs almost 4 lbs.  Leo is a lionhead and he weighs the same.  We cut back on the treats and carb based veggies (i.e. carrots) & she lost weight.  Then after she got spayed, she got chunky again.  So we limit the pellets for both and really load up on the green veggies.  My vet tech said that for chunky bunnies increase the greens.  Anything green is a good veggie.  When she was chunkier, well when we were over feeding her, she had lots of seed treats, raisins, craisins, and carrots.  Once we took that out she got lost weight.   So I guess I’m giving you advice in reverse.

I’d like to put more weight on Leo, b/c I feel like he’s still kinda boney & ribby.  He too eats like a pig and just maintains his weight.  I’m sure Jessi thinks, what a lucky bunny he is…all I ever hear is that I’m a chunky monkey!

You can get wild oats at Whole Paycheck AKA Whole Foods.  I don’t mean oat meal, whole oats REALLY!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Appropraite Weight