Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Apple question

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Laura
      Participant
      182 posts Send Private Message

Is it okay to give buns apples that are not full grown? In other words the apples have been picked early to let the other apples get bigger.

Thanks,

Laura

• Theresa Moan
        Participant
        249 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure but I would definately not let them eat the seeds or stems.

• osprey
          Participant
          2065 posts Send Private Message

Another tip if you have your own trees and know that they are not sprayed:  Buns love love love to eat apple branches, leaves and all.  If you ever have to trim the trees, save the twigs for the bunnies! 

• poopy
            Participant
            684 posts Send Private Message
              Posted By osprey on 07/20/2007 2:10 PM

Another tip if you have your own trees and know that they are not sprayed:  Buns love love love to eat apple branches, leaves and all.  If you ever have to trim the trees, save the twigs for the bunnies! 

Are you supposed to set them out in the sun first, and if so why?

• osprey
              Participant
              2065 posts Send Private Message

If you are going to keep them for a while, dry them first so that they will last.  If not, go ahead and feed them the branches right off of the tree.

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

I think that the apples that are picked early could be very acidic for the bunny – don’t those apples usually have a very sour taste? The reason i would be a bit concerned about feeding these apples is I know that if they are too underripe they can sometimes give humans tummy aches – and since rabbits have such sensitive stomachs, i would be careful with anything that might cause stomach upset. Maybe try just a thin slice for your bunnies and see how they do with it?

• Hedi
                  Participant
                  969 posts Send Private Message

If you want to make a nice tasty treat for your bun you can cook them. I made some to sell at our humane society bun store.

You just slice apples fairly slim, any kind. Lay them flat on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle with just a little cinnamon. Set your oven to the lowest possible setting (150-200). It usually takes about 3hr. Your house will smell wonderful and you have a treat that will keep for quite some time that your buns will love!

• Laura
                    Participant
                    182 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have the apple trees (I wish), but co-workers do.  I have already gotten some branches from my boss and the buns LOVE them!

I will bake the apples – wonderful idea – thanks!

~Laura

• x liddo bunny x
                      Participant
                      314 posts Send Private Message

i think that with sour apples bunnies and humans are alike. usually we get tummy aches when we eat something sour without some type of absorber or base in our tummies because it is like something acidic mixed with something acidic instead of what it should be, acid into base. and of course it doesnt work the other way around or else the tummy would hurt. usually i give my bunnies some pellets before any treat. ive given them green apples and they seem to like it. especially when i cut it into thin slices. (i like em too so i eat it when they eat. =Pi hope that makes sense and i am not sure if what i am doing is right but it makes sense to me.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Apple question