Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE apparently it’s a big ‘NO’ to swiss chard

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

my near-by grocery store had a sad selection of greens last night… most were wilty looking already.  i couldn’t find a nice head of green leaf lettuce so instead i got swiss chard.  well.  when pinky sniffed her salad bowl this morning she immediately backed up, grunted & thumped!  then looked at me as if to say “what do you expect me to do with this?!?!  where’s my salad?”  stinker!  i had to move the swiss chard aside to reveal the romain & red leaf lettuce underneath before she began eating.  baby started nibbling on the swiss chard but must’ve stopped because i just peeked in her room & all the swiss chard is scattered on the floor out of her bowl.  little goofs!  guess i’m gonna have to eat it up myself. 

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

That’s pretty funny! Edson LOVES chard!

• Sage Cat
          Participant
          1883 posts Send Private Message

A few nights ago I gave my little ones 3 beautiful stalks of asparagus in their salad.

Now, I love asparagus.    I look forward to it every spring!

They threw it off the plate and devoured every thing else. Not even a nibble to try it out! 

I’m so not waisting asparagus on them any more!

P.S. I like swiss chard.

• osprey
            Participant
            2065 posts Send Private Message

Yep, chard gets disapproved in our house, arugula too.  Our foster bunny Marilyn also disapproves of all of the fragrant herbs that our bunnies love like mint and sage.  They are funny little creatures.  When we first got DJ, he would not touch cilantro.  When we got Curly Sue, we learned from her foster mom that she loved cilantro, so we offered some to the two of them.  When DJ saw her eating it, he decided he had to eat it too.  he’s loved it ever since.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

Ahahahh

We just tried cranberries last night and got instant approval from all three-a big first in my house!!

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

MUM!!!  HOW DARE YOU!!! 

lol… they’re so funny.  i haven’t tried chard yet b/c i stand in the store looking at it and i just imagine Meadow throwing a tantrum…

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant

AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH I got in trouble for trying brussel sprouts once…..

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

ooo that’s funny. they’re so opinionated, aren’t they? my bunnies all eat chard, but not with the same gusto as some other things.

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

That’s too funny. Bunnies have such wonderful personalities. Arugula is a huge hit with my two, I haven’t tried swiss chard yet. I think I just might do that, I know they aren’t fond of watercress.

• Hannah
                        Participant
                        274 posts Send Private Message

XD Humphrey eats anything I give him.

And anything he finds lying around, too.

I think he’s secretly a goat.

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

*Chuckle* How many stomachs do goats have? Five?

• babybunsmum
                            Participant

i would’ve normally added my dog into that category since he eats (to name a few disgusting things) bunny & horse poo, plastic, j cloths, and dirty tissues.  but even he would NOT eat the SWISS CHARD!  lol.  no way can you get me to eat something my dog turns his nose up at!

• Hannah
                              Participant
                              274 posts Send Private Message

Humphrey will eat chard. But… really, do dogs eat a lot of veggies? ^__^;;;

• KatnipCrzy
                                Participant
                                2981 posts Send Private Message

I think it as awesome that a former shelter bunny is now so spoiled that she can look at her “salad” and reprimand the “chef” for unwanted recipe changes!!!

THAT is the life for a bunny! 

• babybunsmum
                                  Participant

no kidding huh?  a very demanding bun.  no wonder she roped me in at the shelter!  she took one look at me & knew i’d be a good slave

as for dogs eating veggies… my dog will eat most veggies but i have learned not to feed him lots of greens.  it has the same effect that eating grass has… makes him vomit.  eww.  took me a while to catch on about that since the vomit didn’t come right away after.  i dropped a lemon wedge by mistake & he sucked on it…  had drool coming out of the corner of his mouth.  he also stole a tangerine out of my fruit bowl once.  he’s a kook.  i don’t feed him veggies but he gets the odd scrap or 2 when i’m cookng some times (sloppy cook am i).

• Sage Cat
                                    Participant
                                    1883 posts Send Private Message

Maybe Humphrey is a goat in a bunny suit! 

We had swiss chard last night. Bunny’s had it in thier salad. J. & I had it in pasta. The Bunny’s liked it more than J. did.

My huskey’s were crazy for fruit & veggies. Their favorites were bananas & broccoli.    But, they would spit out celery. My vet said it was fine to let them have vegetables on a regular basis.

• Holly
                                      Participant
                                      371 posts Send Private Message

Holly loves parsly. I have tried cilantro. She tried it, but she tossed it around and ate it as if she had to. Romaine she liked better, but both the regular parsly and Italian parsly she gobbles up. I haven’t tried anything else yet.

• kimberleyanddarren
                                        Participant
                                        2520 posts Send Private Message

hehe thats so cute! hopscotch did that to me when i gave him celery, he was like errrrm… no! lol

• Gravehearted
                                          Participant
                                          2428 posts Send Private Message

ooo I forgot to mention – many bunnies ignore something the first time, but then after that like it. It seems like they’re often hesitant to try new veggies.

• babybunsmum
                                            Participant

hmm… that’s true gravehearted.  baby didn’t like half the veg she likes now before.  she snubbed whatever i put in front of her.  during her surgery recovery i offered lots of juicy veg to her and she gobbled them up.  maaaybe i’ll give the chard a try again.  this time i’ll have to have a backup recipe in mind for me to try too.

• kimberleyanddarren
                                              Participant
                                              2520 posts Send Private Message

just casually drop it into her dinner (ssshhhh she’ll never know) lol

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                Participant

My dog will honestly eat anything and actually likes spicey indian food and vegetables…

Babybunsmom: just to share this info as it’s relatively new and not well known, here a few toxic things: Raisins and grapes cannot be given to dogs in large amounts (so we don’t anymore at all) as it can cause liver failure. Tomoates are toxic, but I”m not sure the quantity; Cooked onions (but raw are ok) are not ok for dogs either. Just thought I’d share as we had no idea, you know? We just knew about black licorice and chocolate….

• babybunsmum
                                                  Participant

k&k, thats good info to share!  thanks   i had recently heard that grapes & raisins weren’t good for dogs, and it really surprised me to learn this.  i did not know about tomatoes or onions.  another good reason to not make a habit of feeding him a taste of everything i eat!  i started doing this from the start with him, but at the time it was so he wouldn’t beg for food.  i’m sure he gets snippits of food that falls to the floor that i don’t see but they wouldn’t be big enough to fill a cavity so i don’t worry bout those.  he too will eat anything he can swallow.  oi.  it would be so much easier if these furbabies would just automatically avoid the stuff that isn’t good for them!

• Floppy
                                                    Participant
                                                    490 posts Send Private Message

I didn’t get a thump when Floppy tried the Swiss Chard but he sure didn’t care for it!
                                                      I usually buy red leaf, romaine, parsley, mint, cilantro, kale, basil.. but this week I decided to
                                                      print out the veggie list to bring along w me so that I know what is safe– cause I always
                                                      stick to what I remember…I got bell pepper and at first he didn’t care for it, but he eats
                                                      it now.

• MimzMum
                                                      Participant
                                                      8029 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Kokaneeandkahlua on 03/03/2008 12:40 PM
                                                        AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH I got in trouble for trying brussel sprouts once…..

As well you should! Anyone who serves brussel sprouts should be forced to eat them! lolzzz…j/k!

Nevermind fussiness over fresh vegetables…I have about as much luck with the buns and exotic veggies as I do with my teenagers! Mimzy actually ‘picks through’ his timothy hay and tosses the pieces out of the pen that he doesn’t like. I wind up having to pick it up off the floor before my cat gets to it. Otherwise I’ll wake up to the sound of crunching in the middle of the night and probably step in a puddle of kitty spew first thing in the morning. >_< YUCK!

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE apparently it’s a big ‘NO’ to swiss chard