Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Anyone here have Pit Bulls

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • BZOO
      Participant
      327 posts Send Private Message

I’m looking into the possibility of getting a PB pup.

My biggest concern is that strong terrier temperament and the rabbits.  They are in a cage/pen combo, but it would hardly be Pittie proof.

Obviously, stronger puppy training required, but is it doable.

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message

Personal experience likely won’t be helpful honestly in you making this decision — there are probably examples online of people with pit bulls cohabitating with rabbits and then examples where it has not worked. It is up to the personality and training that the particular pit bull you choose has. In all circumstances, you must be prepared for permanent, safe separation of the dog and rabbits. If that is not possible, please do not get a dog.

Also note that puppies are difficult in general to try and cohabitate with rabbits, similar to kittens, since younger animals are much more energetic and they have yet to develop their personality, so you can’t really gauge until several months in whether they have a temperament suitable with being with rabbits. You are much “safer” in making an informed choice by looking at already adult dogs and getting an understand of what their personality is, rather than starting with a puppy.

Please read through the following for important information/considerations of getting a dog: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Relationships_with_rabbits#Dogs

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• BZOO
          Participant
          327 posts Send Private Message

Thanks.  Yes, have had many dogs, latest crew is Willow and Kylee, both just over a year and a half, baby Pheobe, not quite 5 months and spending Christmas evening at the vet ER, great fun!

So have raised these pups with the rabbits, no issues.

I can separate the rabbits if a Pittie pup is too much, was just wondering about general prey drive.

No idea if this will come to fruition, just looking at everything I can, just in case.

• DanaNM
            8901 posts Send Private Message

My impression is that prey-drive in pit bulls is really variable, and can be species specific. I know of some pits that would just run into the bushes and come back with small-mammal prey routinely, but have an acquaintance who had a pit around their house rabbit, and he completely ignored it. But, he was OBSESSED with crows! He would stand in the backyard just barking at the crows.

There are also so many different pit-mixes out there, I bet a lot would have to do with what they were mixed with.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Azerane
              4688 posts Send Private Message

If you’re getting a PB from a breeder, you can at least make your selection easier. High drive dogs tend to have high drive puppies. So you want to look for a breeder, or specific dogs from a breeder that meet that low drive, relaxed requirement. If you’re adopting, the rescue and/or foster carer will be able to help you select the dog with the most suitable temperament.

At the end of the day, selecting a low drive dog doesn’t always equate to no trouble, but it certainly makes the process easier. As you’ve raised dogs before you know what’s involved, I personally don’t think there’s any more risk with a pittie than most other breeds, you’ve just got to get that training right.

I know it’s different, but I have two cats that I raised from kittens, they are a very active breed but with consistent training and clear boundaries they very quickly learned that the rabbits were off limits.

• Bunster360
                Participant
                8 posts Send Private Message

I do!

I have an almost two year old pit. My rabbit mostly free roams. I let her free roam whenever I am home and ho entry, we haven’t had any issues. However, I want to take every precaution in case my dog does get rough and so do not let the rabbit free roam when I am gone. Instead, she has a bedroom of her own and the cats can come and go through the cat door. My pit is a rescue. When I brought the rabbit home I trained her like I trained her with any foster kittens we have. She can smell but if she tries to chase is is overreacting, she gets spayed on the side with a water bottle. She hates that and its taught her how to behave. As I typed, I just watched her pretty much ignore the rabbit as the rabbit kept sniffing her. I think with any dog, you have to be careful and know your dog. Its not a put thing, its the prey drive.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Anyone here have Pit Bulls