Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Any1 know anything about new zealand whites?

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    • alyssa
      Participant
      47 posts Send Private Message

i think thats what madison is but all the sites say they must have red/pink eyes, and madison has blue eyes

is she a mix? or now a NZW after all?

thanks

• charlie82
        Participant
        295 posts Send Private Message

She doesn’t look at all like a NZW to me, too small and dainty. I still think she is a dutch. 🙂

• alyssa
          Participant

YAY cuz that would make her the same breed as chewy, and it would be AWESOME if they could grow up and be around the same size, cuz i read that NZW grow to be 11 pounds! thats bigger than my dog! lol

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

Well, it’s hard to tell at her age since you don’t know what size she will be full grown. She doesn’t have the dutch markings if she’s all white so I wouldn’t say myself that she is a dutch. She could very well be a mix of some kind though. Generally the all white rabbits are either Florida Whites (smaller than a New Zealand) or a New Zealand White or a mix with these 2 breeds to the best of my knowledge.

• charlie82
              Participant

Dutch do come as white buns with blue eyes due to recessive genes. I know on Rabbits united they recently had a litter of purebred dutch babies. Mum was a typical B&W dutch and dad was a lovely G&W dutch. They ended up with two B&W, one G&W and two white babies….all with blue eyes. I didn’t know dutch bunnies could come all white but apparantly they do due to recessive genes somewhere along the line 🙂 They looked just like maddison!

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

Interesting! I did know that many dutches come with blue eyes which are so pretty but I have seen other breeds with blue eyes as well – perhaps they were dutch mixes though as well. Although I have seen rexes with blue eyes as well.

• charlie82
                  Participant

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123129

There is a picture of Louie on there who was from the litter of dutch babies…I can’t find the original thread 🙂 I think marchhare must have a dutch in every colouring!!!!!

• charlie82
                    Participant

Yeah I didn’t know Dutch could come like that either…infact I didn’t even know they came in so many different colours!!!! Milly has blue eyes and they are so unusual. She was supposed to have been a lionhead but she definietly has cashmere in her somewhere along the line.

• babybunsmum
                      Participant
                      3896 posts Send Private Message

i kinda thought madison looked like a wee / young new zealand white, but i think i’m just assuming that about white buns now-a-days.  pinky sure has influenced my judgement.      mind you, pinky has red eyes and looks more muscular than madison, but i adopted pinky at 10 months old so i have no cluse what she looked like as a wee one.  whatever madison is… she’s darn cute!

141591712571.jpg
                        141591718754.jpg

• Beka27
                        Participant
                        16016 posts Send Private Message

this is dorky, but i always loved learning about genetics and heredity stuff in school… it’s cool how those recessive genes can pop up further down the line.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

Here’s some interesting stuff on rabbit genetics…

http://www.tsukiyo.org/argent/genetics/other.html

Interestingly, Kahlua my dark lionhead, has the Vienna gene (according to the breeder, and sources-shown by the little white splotch on her nose) and her mom and dad were both BEW (blue-eyed-whites) and were completely white!

• babybunsmum
                            Participant
                            3896 posts Send Private Message

no way !?!  cool stuff

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant

Yup, these are here parents

This is her Daddy, Orion

[script removed]BEWLIONBUCK.jpg picture by kokaneeandkuhluha

And this is her mommy, Mary

[script removed]BEWdoe.jpg picture by kokaneeandkuhluha

• Tami
                                Participant
                                163 posts Send Private Message

Oh my goodness !  Her mama almost looks like an Angora !  LOL !  And the daddy resembles a Jersey Wooly…..to me, anyway :o)

They’re beautiful, though.  No wonder Kahlua is such a looker

• bunnytowne
                                  Participant
                                  7537 posts Send Private Message

that orion is a lionhead   and what is the vienna gene?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                    Participant

Yeh, they are both (mary and orion) pedigreed lionheads…I could have paid for a pedigree with Kahlua, but obviously she’s never going to be bred (she’s spayed now) and I don’t do shows so no point…

The vienna gene is mentioned on that page I posted http://www.tsukiyo.org/argent/genetics/other.html it has to do with producing Blue eyed white’s. I’m not sure exactly how it works but it’s mentioned in that article. I guess it’s expression in a non-blue eyed white (like Kahlua) is to have a white splotch on their nose…

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant

You can see the white spot good in this pic (there is fawn coloring on her nose, the white is a spot on the top of the fawn)

[script removed]Itcanbepart128437633940418750.jpg picture by kokaneeandkuhluha

• alyssa
                                        Participant

i just wish i knew how big madison would get, so i could prepare a bit. as of now, madison already makes chewy look like a midget bunny lol

lol i remember when we used to think chewys markings were so cute and special, then we went to the state fair and we were like
                                          that one looks like him.. and that one.. and that one.. and that one.. and that one 2

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                          Participant

LOL Madison is a dutch right? I thought the same thing with Kokanee, my dutch…Then I was like oohhhhh they all look like that hehe

• alyssa
                                            Participant

we dont know if shes a dutch, we were told she was..but we dont know really, cuz the petstore seemed pretty clueless and shes all white with blue eyes

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                              Participant

Oh darn I meant chewy is a dutch-now do I make more sense?

I googled new zealand white and I guess they can have blue eyes…maybe post some more pics of Madisson and beside soemthing so we can see how big she is, that might help some of our experts figure out her breed!

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Any1 know anything about new zealand whites?