Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Any ideas of the breed of my 8 week old bunny? Or “potty training” tips?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hope
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

So I’ve had my bunny for around a week now, and I’m learning new, cool things everyday! Though, I’m not too sure the breed. Me and my family believe it’s a girl, and decided to call her hope. She’s about 8 weeks old, and is extremely fluffy. Any ideas?

Also, I’ve tried some small things to try and “potty train” her to use her litter box, but it seems she’d much rather leave her little presents scattered across the room. I have some litter on the bottom of the pan, covered by Timothy hay. When she’s out of her cage, I leave her litter pan in a corner of the room, near her cage, and next to her food and water, along with always making sure she knows where it is. I try putting her “droppings” from the floor into the pan, and occasionally when I see her leaving droppings in the floor, I put her immediately into her pan, hoping she’d get the idea. Does anyone else have some helpful tips to speed up the process?

• Louiethebunny
        Participant
        603 posts Send Private Message

AWW what a cutie! Super jealous! She looks like a cinnamon rabbit, which is a breed on the ARBA website. It’s normal for her to be fluffy, as baby bunnies have fluffier fur. I’m not sure about what her living situation is, but that cage does look a little small for a rabbit. As she gets older, she will need more space. Since you just got her, it’s normal for some territorial poops for a little bit. Successful potty training doesn’t always work out until she gets spayed, which once she’s old enough, should be a priority because female rabbits have a high chance of developing uterine cancer if they aren’t fixed. The surgery also calms down lots of hormonal behaviors that she might start showing when she reaches a few months old. You sound like you’re doing the right thing to potty train her, and I would keep it up. I would also keep the pan in one spot, preferably her favorite spot, as she’s more likely to go there.

• LBJ10
          16898 posts Send Private Message

Satin? I’m going off the fur texture. Satins come in shaded colors (i.e. “tortoise”).

• Hope
            Participant

Thank you so much! And we rescued her, so on short notice we didn’t have the chance to get the perfect cage, but we are looking for one that should suit her just fine. And Louie is adorable! Thank you for your help🙂

• Louiethebunny
              Participant
              603 posts Send Private Message

Of course! Hope’s huge ears on her little head are to die for!

• pinkiemarie
                Participant
                414 posts Send Private Message

Can you get at least one extra litter box? Rabbits sometimes pick their own litter spot and if she has a spot outside her cage that she’s going it can be helpful to put another box in that spot while you work on training. Definitely get her spayed. It will help with her litter habits, general behavior, and as mentioned above rabbits are at very high risk for cancers of the reproductive organs (boys as well but it’s more common in females).

I agree that her cage looks too small but it’s totally fine for now while she’s little and still getting house-trained. Have you done a lot bunny proofing so she can be out without being destructive? They’re kind of like toddlers and like to put everything in their mouth, but their teeth are sharper 😂

Is this your first bunny? It sounds like you’re doing the right things with her!

• prince dorian the bun
                  Participant
                  743 posts Send Private Message

Dorian would leave little pellets about for the first couple weeks, marking territory I think. And he also used to have what I called sleep poos… he’s out grown both pretty much, though once in a while there will be stray one. Given you just got her I bet a lot of that will calm down, and since she is a baby still I am sure some of that is from that. If she is peeing in the litter box I think you shouldn’t stress too much yet and just give it time. Putting them back in the litter is good, lets her know that’s where they should go. Oh and she is adorable!! I don’t know anything about breeds other than the obvious ones, so will skip that part of your question.

• Hope
                    Participant

@prince dorian the bun

Hope is peeing in her litter box so I would think that’s a plus. Thank you for your helpful advice! And may I just say that is one handsome bun you got there😂

• prince dorian the bun
                      Participant
                      743 posts Send Private Message

Thanks @Hope! He knows it too :D. I really think when they are little they just have a hard time holding in the poops, maybe like human toddlers they just don’t have all control yet.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Any ideas of the breed of my 8 week old bunny? Or “potty training” tips?