Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Another dandelion question!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Alicia Conklin
      Participant
      721 posts Send Private Message

This weekend I bought Tucker some dandelion greens at the organic food co-op.  They looked great, nice and fresh.  It was an hour long drive home but we put all the veggies in a cooler in the back of the car to keep them fresh.  When we got home they were still pretty fresh looking, however by the next morning they were looking rather wilted and then this morning when I was making Tucker his salad they were so wilted that I didn’t even give them to him, I just had to throw them out.  Is there a special way of storing dandelion greens that I am just not aware of??  I’m not quite sure what happened to them! 

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Good question! I have this happen to carrot top greens too. They look fantastic, then the next day I throw them out. I have tried washing them, and wrapping in a paper towel and not washing them and the results are the same. Next I will try the green bags I am now using. I’ll let you know if that works!

• Alicia Conklin
          Participant

OOh yes please do, I have seen those online and I’ve heard mixed reviews…if those work I’d love to get them. We go grocery shopping every two weeks and what we had been doing for us was eating mostly fresh fruits and veggies the first week and then switching over to frozen/canned for the second week since most stuff does not last a full two weeks. But now with the bunny..we can’t exactly do that! I did go to the farmer’s market though..which has fresh direct from the farm produce (which is not where the dandy’s came from) so I am hoping maybe that stuff will last! I am thinking atleast the romaine lettuce, spinach and celery will as we have had good luck with those lasting two weeks BUT…if these green bags actually work that would be just awesome!!

• babybunsmum
            Participant
            3896 posts Send Private Message

i really think it depends on how fresh the greens are when you buy them.  tho i’ve never had carrot top greens last longer than a day or 2.  when stores display greens they keep misting them to keep them fresh & i’ve found the same to work for me at home.  i usually buy romaine, red & green leaf lettuces and each time i take them out of the fridge i wet my hand & pat moisture on the top of each so they’re not dripping wet, but have some moisture.  my greens usually last long enough this way for me to use them up (4 or 5 days).

• Alicia Conklin
              Participant

Hmm ok, maybe I will need to do that and make more frequent/smaller trips to the store for his bunny veggies.

• Bunnies4ever
                Participant
                368 posts Send Private Message

Yes, they are highly perishable! They are soaking wet from the produce mister when I bring them home. My buns can finish them off before they get all wilty. One thiing I do is when I get home, I dry them out with a paper towel, then wrap them in another paper towel and they manage to keep better that way. If you have the green bags, let us know if they work with dandelions. I usually buy romaine lettuce, cilantro, curly and/or italian parsley for my babies. The dandelions leaves are a real treat! I use to buy carrot tops, but I had way too many carrots to eat!

• Alicia Conklin
                  Participant

Ahh..I don’t think we will be buying dandelions again! The pack they come in is huge..I can’t imagine tucker being able to finish those off before they wilt! Hopefully I’ll get the hang of which produce lasts soon! I am wasting so much because of it going bad quicker then he can eat it!

• Bunnies4ever
                    Participant
                    368 posts Send Private Message

I have four rabbits, so I can get rid of them pretty quickly. I saw some edible flowers in the produce section. I’m assuming if they are okay for rabbits? Has anyone fed these to their rabbits?

• Floppy
                      Participant
                      490 posts Send Private Message

Hmm with the dandelions, I go home and make sure they are pretty dry first, then I cut them into 4 good size portions
                        and I place them back into a small plastic produce bag. Sometimes I wrap them slightly with some newspaper and then place
                        them back into the plastic produce bag.That seems to work well too!

• Gravehearted
                        Participant
                        2428 posts Send Private Message

I find they gown downhill quickly too. I try to remember to un-rubberband or twist tie them as soon as i get home.
                          Also, I try to feed them within a day or two of buying them.

• skunklionshow
                          Participant
                          1257 posts Send Private Message

I always remove the rubberbands and/or wires around my produce.  I also remove them from the plastic bags and store w/ dry paper towels directly in the produce drawer.  I don’t store leafy veggies w/ anything but leafy veggies.  I find that when I buy my produce from the farmer’s market on Saturdays, it tends to last during the week.  The only thing I’ve gotten that’s gone bad quickly is my red leaf lettuce.  I get dandelion greens from the farmer’s market & have had success.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Another dandelion question!