Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Another Charlie update on sneezing/ possible syphilis

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    • whispercalm
      Participant
      89 posts Send Private Message

Well, the update I had planned to post has changed just within the last half hour.
        Charlie has been on the antibiotic Baytril and benedryl for 10 days now. Thursday she had a very sneezy, runny nose kind of day then absolutely nothing until, sadly today.
        We went 4 days without me hearing or seeing anything. It’s possible as we were gone a bit on Saturday and Sunday that I missed something, but I was counting it as free and clear.
        Yesterday was the day I was suppose to update her vet. We talked and since everything seemed good, he decided to keep her on the Baytril for a total of 6 weeks. So that means 4 1/2 more weeks. Benedryl as needed.
        So I was happy as I truly did not want to have the expense of switching her to another treatment.  But that’s besides the point… I would switch if it’s best for her if that’s what she needs. He was thinking of switching her if there was no improvement and considering treating for syphilis which I put in a previous post. As of yesterday everything seemed great.

This morning she was up on the couch with me and did a few of what I call very light “air” sneezes. More of just a gentle force of air from her nose…but they are tiny sneezes. I never worry much about those at all…could be a bit of dust or something, but I keep a closer watch.
        I go outside for awhile and come back inside to a very sneezy, rattling her sinuses, congested sounding bunny who is sneezing over and over. Stops a few minutes and more. She’s scared and doesn’t know what to do. I even heard rattling in her sinus with breathing then she sneezed more and cleared it. Sticky clear mucous with one little tiny fleck of thicker white tinged gray…just a big enough fleck mixed in the runny wet to see.   Sigh 😔
        This was not good so I found my husband and told him. He looked really strange and said maybe it was his fault as he’s been outside doing heavy yard work and was just covered with dirt and dust. He came inside while I was out back (probably to get a drink) and laid down on the kitchen floor next to her to pet her for awhile. He probably spent 5-10 minutes on floor with her.
        It wasn’t much later that I came to him with the sneezing report.
        So… I don’t know. Nothing is ever clear with this. He thinks he caused it because of the timing.  I’m not so sure since she was air sneezing earlier today. But she did congest up super fast after the air sneezes. It’s possible, I guess,  that she’s reacting to the dust and dirt he had all over himself and his clothes.
        However, her pattern from the months we had this issue over a year ago would be she would do well for a few days or even a week then get sneezy, snotty again. I have no way to know if this is the same thing or a reaction to my husband. And again the question of was it allergies before instead of pastuerella. She did have cultures back then and the first showed a type of pastuerella, but not the “bad” one, I was told. Later culture when she still was sneezy but better was clear for any type of infection, fungus, etc.

My husband pretty bad ..we’ve talked about being careful not to bring any type of irritant into the house to her. He wasn’t done working outside yet and wasn’t thinking.
        He wants me to wait to call the vet back as he thinks he caused it and he feels it’s too soon to tell the vet and cause a medication switch as this could be something he caused to happen. She has settled down for now and napping.

It’s all so frustrating. I thought we were on top of it yesterday. I would be calling the vet right back today if it wasn’t for my husbands story to consider. Hard to know what to do.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Another Charlie update on sneezing/ possible syphilis