Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Another Bonding Trio Question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • luvmybuns
      Participant
      65 posts Send Private Message

Okay, I think I am going to introduce the new bunny (Digger) to my bonded pair this weekend. (Cinnamon adn Floppy).  Cinnamon is very curious and continues to go to the gate and looks at Digger.  He even tries to climb over the gate.   Digger is 2.6 lbs and Cinnamon is approximately 5 lbs.  I think I will introduce those two first.  After I introduce Digger and Cinnamon, when should I introduce Digger to Floppy?  Is it right after  Cinnamon or a couple days after Cinnamon and Digger get to know each other?   Ooops, a little background, Floppy was my first rescue, then we adopted Cinnamon from a shelter.  Digger came from a co-worker of my husbands.  All are fixed.  We were fostering Digger for the shelter, but they keep getting more and more bunnies and the shelter is 2 hours away from us.  It does not look like Digger is going to be adopted, so we are going to adopt him.   Any suggestions from first hand experience would be appreciated.  I have read and read information online, but am still nervous.  Thanks.

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

I think you can do the introductions one after the other if you have time.  My suggestion would be to "cross pet" first, that is, pet the new bun, then one of yours, then the new bun, then the other of yours.  This way they will all smell a bit like the other bunnies, so your pair will not get mad at each other for smelling like a stranger.  Do a short introduction with each of your pair and the new bun, watch closely for biting or chasing.  If you have time and neutral space, you can do this several times a day.

Since this is a bunny that you are sure you want to keep, I’d suggest keeping the initial visits short (5 to 10 minutes, maybe you on the floor with them).  You really do not want any early aggression to turn into a deal breaker.

Does the new bunny like to cuddle?  One of the things that I did with my trio was to lie on the couch with all three bunnies on my chest.  I got them nice and relaxed with pets and nose rubs, and sort of forced them into side by side positions with the new bun in the middle.  This was a way to get them used to each other in a place where they could not get territorial because I was in control.  Good Luck!

• luvmybuns
          Participant
          65 posts Send Private Message

The new bunny likes to cuddle, but the other two don’t.  My lop loves to be petted, but only when she wants to be and Cinnamon likes to be petted when he is in his condo.  When he is out, he is too busy being nosy (or chewing on things he shouldn’t be. lol).  I have lots of time in the evening to work with them and on weekends.  I will try the bathtub as a neutral area this weekend and see.  I don’t think it will be much of an issue with my bonded pair.  I go back and forth with the new bunny and my bunnies with all bunny smells on my hands and no one seems to care.  If I have any problems it may be with the new bunny.  He really likes my dog (45 lbs), but seems to not be sure of the bunnies.  Go figure, he isn’t afraid of a 45 lb dog, but isn’t sure of a 5 lb bunny. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Another Bonding Trio Question