Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Annoyed- “free range bunnies”

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sam and Lady's Human
      Participant
      2001 posts Send Private Message

I’m on another forum and just read about a “stolen bunny”. The person lets her 2 bunnies “free range” outside they are always loose in the backyard and squeeze through the fence to get more weeds or whatever. Anyway, she’s complaining that someone “stole” one, and refuses to admit that it could’ve been a predator. Ugh it’s so upsetting. 

I thought of you guys and was hoping it was secretly one of you rescuing it <3 

I had to come vent here, collectively they just don’t quite get how it’s abuse

• Roberta
        Participant
        4355 posts Send Private Message

Know exactly what you mean…. I constantly hear people say we don’t get foxes, eagles, hawks or falcons in the suburbs… WE Get All Three plus cats and dogs that roam about unsupervised… Then they wonder why their free range bunny has disappeared from the garden !!!!! Idiots….
          That also doesn’t account for the human predators that steal rabbits for a variety of reasons.

• Amys Animals
          Participant
          902 posts Send Private Message

That’s very frustrating. When my bunnies are outside they are in pens and I watch for hawks and other predators closely. I know there was a hawk that used to live around and I live in the suburbs. Haven’t seen too many hawks around here lately but I still keep watch. We don’t have coyotes around here or anything like that but I wouldn’t be surprised if them building so much brought them over here. I am very cautious when the bun buns are out. My cats aren’t even allowed outside because there is too much danger…Whether it be predators, cars, or humans. Ever since I lost my first cat that I got when I was 13 (my pride and joy up until the day he vanished) I have never let any cat outside and have been very cautious with my other animals. I do not know what happened to my cat but he likely got hit by a car.

So yeah, it’s frustrating that people just don’t get it. Domestic animals need protection, especially the bun buns.

• FrankieFlash
            Participant
            1710 posts Send Private Message

Well I am going to rescue a bun today that’s kept outside all year round but it’s kept in a hutch. It’s friend died and these people ‘scuse my language, are morons. Wish me luck! I hope you’re right about it being rescued.

• Amys Animals
              Participant
              902 posts Send Private Message

Posted By FrankieFlash on 02/19/2013 07:31 AM

Well I am going to rescue a bun today that’s kept outside all year round but it’s kept in a hutch. It’s friend died and these people ‘scuse my language, are morons. Wish me luck! I hope you’re right about it being rescued.

Good luck with the rescue!!  

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

Even if you “don’t” get eagles, foxes, etc. That doesn’t mean that another bird isn’t going to get your bun. We have Ian (our foster) out by the front window. And I noticed the other day on my way out to work that this gigantic crow/blackbird likes to sit and watch him through the window! I’m pretty sure he wants to try and eat little Ian. If a normal black bird wants to eat a bun. Who’s to say something else doesn’t want it.

• bunnytowne
                  Participant
                  7537 posts Send Private Message

dont forget hawks coons snakes n such   they will kill a rabbit some will eat them

• LBJ10
                    16869 posts Send Private Message

Crows are highly intelligent. I don’t think one would be able to carry off a large pet rabbit, but given the opportunity they may attack a pet rabbit and injure it. I suppose that is always something to think about. Just because you don’t see large hawks around doesn’t mean there aren’t wild animals out there that could cause injury.

• NewBunnyOwner123
                      Participant
                      1930 posts Send Private Message

Even if the birds and other wild life dont necessarily want to eat the rabbit, they can very easily frighten a bunny enough where the stress alone could be harmful.

• Elrohwen
                        Participant
                        7318 posts Send Private Message

I live near someone like this and it makes me so mad. They let their bunnies into the backyard, but the fence has a million holes and they come out to the front yard to eat grass. The front yard is about 10ft wide and then slopes down to a very busy, 45mph road. Seriously?

It drives me crazy. I drive past the house every day on my way home from work and I always check for the bunnies to see if they’re all still there. At least it’s cold now and they’re not let out anymore.

• Lintini
                          Participant
                          3329 posts Send Private Message

I raised a crow a few summers ago, don’t worry they will not eat your rabbit, but might give it a good scare!

• Boing
                            Participant
                            253 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

A single crow is unlikely to pose any threat to a healthy rabbit. A murder of crows will gang up on a rabbit, especially if it is perceived as weak. They will not carry it off; they will do it in where it is. I grew up in a fairly wild area; this is not uncommon, and they are not the only kind of non-raptor bird that will do this. In fact, this behavior targets more than just rabbits, they also do it to other creatures, including other birds. Nature can be savage. If wild rabbits succumb, I fail to see how domestic rabbits would fair any better.

Sincerely,

Boing

• Lintini
                              Participant
                              3329 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry, how much research have you done with crows? Have you ever raised one and successfully released it back into the wild?

• Bam
                                16836 posts Send Private Message

There are lots of wild-life in cities, and that’s of course mostly a good thing, but not for our pet rabbits. But predators don’t have to be feral, house-cats are f ex very keen on rabbits.

Crows and magpies can tease rabbits and hurt them when they come running to see what’s going on, even if the rabbits are in a run. Sometimes you need a double fence with space in between to keep birds from hurting your rabbit. Crows and magpies like to tease dogs in runs as well.

• RabbitPam
                                  11002 posts Send Private Message

I think everyone expresses a fair description of the variations of behaviors you can expect from both birds and bunnies depending on the circumstances. A wild crow, or one in a group, will behave differently than one that has been conditioned somewhat by humans, just as bunnies that become feral will behave differently than a totally indoor bunny from birth.

We all agree here it seems on one point: we love to keep our bunnies safe and happy, and that seems to happen quite well in the house.

• Snowytoshi
                                    Participant
                                    263 posts Send Private Message

Agree with everything said, we do not live in the middle of nowhere, but we get coyotes, owls, hawks, foxes, snakes, bears, not to mention neighbor’s cats and dogs. There are also groundhogs, wild rabbits, etc. I have no doubt that our rabbits would be dead within twenty four hours of free-ranging outside.

• Boing
                                      Participant
                                      253 posts Send Private Message

Hi Lintini,

Actually, crows are one of my favorite birds. I have also taken post-secondary natural history classes on a variety of creatures including them, in addition to general observation and reading. Wild is wild. Respecting and liking any creature, be it wild, tame, or domestic, involves acknowledging the good and the bad. Crows, jays, etc. can and do take out compromised rabbits, etc. They peck out the eyes of immobile creatures. Then it becomes easier to eat.

Furthermore, raising and releasing a wild creature, however laudable this is, and I am not denying it, does *not* count as research. It is much more akin to informal observation.

I have to admit that I had not expected to come back to Binky Bunny and find that I had been cyber-attacked. What does my educational background have to do with anything? I joined this forum because it seemed friendly.

Boing

• Deleted User
                                        Participant
                                        22064 posts Send Private Message

Boing we have a flock of crows that live in the woods on our land. I don’t mind them being around. They are beautiful creatures and they eat all the nasty scorpions so I’m a happy camper. I’m just saying that bun parents should be cautious and just keep them inside. I was, also, surprised by the fact that the crow enjoyed watching Ian through our front window.

• LBJ10
                                          16869 posts Send Private Message

Boing, as RabbitPam said, everyone here appears to be giving fairly accurate descriptions of possible behavior (good and bad). I’m sorry you feel like we are an unfriendly forum. I don’t think it was anyone’s intention.

Speaking of jays. Blue jays will snatch a baby squirrel from an unguarded nest. Yikes! No wonder the squirrels around here are always barking up a storm when they see them around.

• Roberta
                                            Participant
                                            4355 posts Send Private Message

You are exactly right Boing…. I love crows but they can be vicious little buggers. I prefer to enjoy their antics out of doors and keep my bunnies indoors. The local rescue had several stray domestic buns brought in that were rescued from magpie or crow harassment.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • The topic ‘Annoyed- “free range bunnies”’ is closed to new replies.

Forum THE LOUNGE Annoyed- “free range bunnies”