Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR angry rabbits?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • MD
      Participant
      49 posts Send Private Message

I recently did a long distance move and just got into my new apartment yesterday, after being in a hotel for a week.  My 2 bunnies are in the same pen they were in at the hotel, and it’s part of the set up I had for them at my old apartment (minus the exercise pen).  This new apartment’s previous residents were heavy smokers and the smell is still in the AC ducts.  I’m allergic to smoking and I can’t imagine the rabbits like it much either.  Last night when it was particularly bad, I had to turn of the AC and went to check on the bunnies.  They both looked a little nervous so I sat down and pet them a little to be reassuring.  All of a sudden, Daphny attacked my hand with both of her front paws.  She’s never done this before, and all I was doing was gently petting her head the way she likes.  It happened again tonight.  The other rabbit, Misty, was thumping her foot a few times earlier, but Daphny is the thumper, not Misty.  Misty would also put her back to me when I put more hay in the pen.  Both rabbits are spayed females and are sisters from the same litter.  They are roughly 2 years old and unknown breed from a shelter.  I’ve had so many issues with this apartment that Daphny’s attack sent me off the edge and I started sobbing uncontrollably.  I am far beyond stressed out.  I’m still learning about rabbit care and have purchased several books on the subject but continue to feel so ignorant.   I just want them to be healthy and happy but I don’t know how to deal with this kind of behavior.  I want to let them out to run around a bit but with their current mood, I’m afraid they’ll destroy the whole apartment. They have been litter trained but continue to poop all over their bunny enclosure, so I am reluctant to let them out as it is. 

• Cassi&Charlie
        Participant
        1260 posts Send Private Message

MD you poor thing. I have no advice because I haven’t moved with my bunnies but it does sound like you might smell different to them, and since they depend on smell they may not have recognised you. Charlie will box my hand if I’ve been somewhere else and petted cats or dogs so maybe the smoke smell is confusing them.

Moving is always stressful! As a defence force child I understand, and maybe they’re stressed as well.

And don’t worry about the feeling of ignorance, I don’t think it ever goes away cause they’re such complex fuzzy creatures. Even the forum leaders, who aare so knowledgable still ask questions! I bet your a great bunny parent and you’ll get loads of good advice on this forum!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

My advice, rabbits will let you know when you have been a bad slave-but they will always forgive you!! I’m sorry your move didn’t go as well as hoped, but your bunnies will come around. They’ll need time to adjust and time to forgive. Keeping them in the same type of set up is going to help -your already doing great! Keep us posted.

There are some products that can help remove smoke smells…you could try some and see if it’ll make your place more bearable.

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

I moved through several apartments with one bunny and finally from Massachusetts to Florida – he rode in my car for 3 days with me – so I know how hard it can be. The move for you is very stressful, and you don’t need to worry about them as well.

One suggestion: set up their xpen right away and possibly get a cheap shower curtain liner for the floor if you’re worried about the new floor/carpet.
              Set out open boxes of Baking Soda in several rooms to start clearing out the odors. Put them out of reach of the bunnies, like on window sills and desk tops. You might have filters on your air, so if they’re the kind that need to be changed, get the cheap ones at the grocery store or Walmarts and swap them out pronto. If there’s a screen from where your air originates (It might be in a closet with the water heater) you can use a dust buster or vacuum hose to just suck out the area around it to try to clean up old stinky dust.

Your bunnies will most definitely forgive you – probably with the first batch of treats. I have no idea if this helped, but I used to carry Spockie around the whole apartment and “show” him the new rooms, talking soothingly about where we were, then put him back in his house. Just try to stick to their schedule as much as possible. Feed the same times, play, etc. Reinforce the familiar. It seemed to help when he was in a strange room, but OH! That’s his favorite couch and pillow right there in it! He’d play with stuff he liked to play with and it made it home for him too.

• RabbitPam
              11002 posts Send Private Message

One more thing:When you move, designate one room that is completely clear of boxes and clutter. Could be your bedroom, a study, the bunnies’ room (recommended) so that when you can’t stand to unpack one more minute, you go into that room to rest. It’s “done” and comfortable for you. It’s very good if it can be the same room the buns are in. You can all unwind together.

• MD
                Participant
                49 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I hadn’t thought about a shower liner to cover the carpet, but it sounds like a good idea. The odor treatment for the apartment is today (Friday) so if there’s any smell after this, I think I’m going to tell the leasing office they have to give me a new apartment. One thing I forgot to mention is that this property encourages dog owners to move in, and sometimes there is incessant barking, which drives me crazy but might be scaring the rabbits. I don’t know how long I can take this–I might have to transfer to a new property if the office can’t do anything about people’s untrained barking dogs. I like dogs and have nothing against dog owners–I had a dog as a kid–but I don’t want to hear the dogs and I’m not sure the rabbits do either.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

I’m sure the rabbits will get used to the barking-they’re very resiliant. BUT I’d go insane…That’s irresponsible to let your dog bark all the time. Let us know how it goes!! Hopefully you find something better!

• kimberleyanddarren
                    Participant
                    2520 posts Send Private Message

im sorry its not going to well for you, you’ve had some good tips so far! I second that its probably just because they are a little confused and hwat to let you know that you have been a naughty bunny slave but dont worry they will come around soon enough, try and get their space set up as soon as possible and just continue to spend time with them. Do keep us posted and let us know of any changes.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR angry rabbits?