Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE An Unexpected Passing, We Don’t Know Why She Died, This Is So Hard

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bow Tilly
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone. Apologies for the length of this. I think I need to just get it all out in a place where I will be heard and seen. Thank you in advance if you have the patience to read through x

On Friday my partner and I came home to find one of our beautiful little girls Nia dead. We’ve had her since she was a baby and she was only 5 years old. Hear death was totally unexpected. There were no signs that I could see and we’re struggling without her so, so much.

On Friday morning and afternoon she was seemingly happy and healthy. She had her breakfast as normal with her bonded companion Ta. They were out and about during the day, eating their hay, drinking, lounging. Being the lovely girls that they are. On Friday evening my partner and I braved going out for dinner, we’ve not done it much since the pandemic started. We took a long walk there as it was a lovely sunset and walked back slowly. We decided not to go out for drinks after dinner as we just wanted to get home to the girls and curl up with them. When we got home I went straight into their room to see them, getting home to them never gets less joyful. When I opened the door and I found Nia laying dead. It was so traumatic. Ta was running around her.

Nia was laying on her side with her head tilted upwards. We immediately checked for any signs of life in case we could rush her to the vet. Nothing. She was gone and had already begun to stiffen a little. We decided not to take her to the vet for an autopsy as we personally (and this is no judgment on anyone else who chooses to do so) didn’t want to put her body through that. Because of this choice we have no definitive reason for her passing. I’m struggling with that more than my partner. I keep thinking what if we didn’t go to dinner, what if we walked quicker, what if there were signs I missed, what if, what if. I just wish I had had a chance to fight for her. I feel like I’ve failed her. I’m distraught at the idea that she was scared or in pain. It was my job to look after her and protect her. My heart hurts so much for her. She was so young in our eyes and we had no idea that she was going to pass away.

She looked strangely peaceful though. There was no blood, no signs of distress around her body, no trauma or wounds to her, nothing disturbed in their house and when we felt her body there were no broken bones that we could find or anything different (but we’re obviously not experts). My partner thinks she may have had a seizure or heart attack but I don’t know if this is common or likely. I know lots of buns pass quickly from GI Stasis but I’ve gone through that with Nia before and know the signs of which there were none. She had a delicate tummy so I kept an extra close eye on her more generally. I’d do belly checks on her each feed where I’d rub her little belly to check for bloat or gas and adjust her food and intake accordingly. I also kept a keen eye on her body language, poops, pees etc. She was a healthy weight, always had unlimited fresh water, hay which she ate well most of the day and a healthy diet of greens which was the appropriate amount for her size. Everything was moving through nicely and she looked well to me. Nia and Ta are both spayed and Ta remains healthy and well. I can’t help but think I missed something with Nia though. I suppose it’s hard to believe that there was nothing I could have done. I don’t want to let myself off the hook.

The day before she passed she was super cuddly with me and my partner. Sitting on my shoulder, nuzzling, sitting on his lap while he worked. Looking back we both think perhaps she knew she wasn’t well and we wonder if she was saying her goodbyes to us. Perhaps that’s just us seeing something that isn’t there. Either way, she was such a precious little girl and it has been a privilege to be a part of her life.

With this post I suppose I just want to share our story. I guess I’m looking for some reassurance, other’s experiences if you have any, perhaps the sharing of any potential ideas around what may have caused her passing. Either way, thank you once again and if you’ve lost a bun recently too my thoughts are with you x

• BZOO
        Participant
        330 posts Send Private Message

Well, all I can say is crap happens.

She was well cared for and loved … That is all you can do.

I am sorry for your loss and offer virtual hugs to you and yours.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss. 🙁

Heart attacks and seizures do happen. A friend also had a bunny die very suddenly from choking (confirmed at autopsy because she was concerned it could be RHDV). Bunnies unfortunately have not been bred to live long lives, so a number of things can go wrong that we can’t really predict. The only thing to be concerned about that would also cause sudden death is RHDV. Are you within an outbreak area? Hopefully that wasn’t the case (less likely anyway since your bunnies are indoor), but just wanted to mention it.

I hope Ta is doing ok and you can comfort each other. It doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong at all, just bad luck. 🙁

(((Binky free Nia)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LPC
            Participant
            3 posts Send Private Message

Very sorry to read your news. There are some good answers above, and although Nia passed suddenly, at least it was without pain and suffering.

Our dear bunny, Ella, passed very suddenly without any explanation. It does happen, just like with humans.

You and Nia will meet again, later, in another dimension.

(Do animals have souls? Of course - including bunnies!)

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE An Unexpected Passing, We Don’t Know Why She Died, This Is So Hard