Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR An appetite for fluff

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • BrunosMama
      Participant
      1485 posts Send Private Message

Hey all! Long time no post! I have a question. Roxie and Caesar have been bonded for years. I’ve noticed lately that Roxie will plop down on top of Caesar, pull out a tuft of his fur, and eat it. Has anyone else had a bunny do this? Is my child just neurotic or is this normal? I can’t imagine it’s a very healthy habit. She’s also an aggressive groomer and Caesar has a small bald spot on his bum from her.

Any insight would be great!

• Bucephalus
        Participant
        21 posts Send Private Message

Definitely get her to stop. She may need to see the vet. Or it could just be a very bad habit. Either way, it’s not healthy at all. If she ingests too much fur, she could get wool block which leads to GI Stasis.

• Vienna Blue in France
          Participant
          5317 posts Send Private Message

Hey BM how are you !!!!!! “Waves enthusiastically”

Ohhhhh sounds strange…. it does sound strange…. i can’t help you sorry, but not sure what to do about it anyway. It’s not like you’re going to split them up…
            Hmmmmmmmm, hows my favourite back to front bunny ??

• BrunosMama
            Participant

Hey VB!

She’s doing great! She turns 7 this June. She and Harley got upgraded to the kitchen recently. They have free roam! Although they spend half the time under the hutch….

• BrunosMama
              Participant

Bucephalus,

Yeah, I knew it’s pry not a *great* habit for her. Maybe increasing her hay will help.

Thanks!

• Bam
                16879 posts Send Private Message

Hi BM!

I’m sorry I don’t know anything about this problem, but it is a known problem with rabbits and chickens and some other animals that are housed in groups/pairs. It’s perhaps mostly commonly occurring among chickens. It’s called barbering. I couldn’t find much interesting info about it though. here’s one article, but I know you know everything it says about hay and activities etc.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/33016/rabbit-behavioral-problems:-barbering

• LittlePuffyTail
                  18092 posts Send Private Message

Horses do that to each other too. They chew each others manes and tails. My new pony has a big chunk of mane missing.

• Vienna Blue in France
                    Participant
                    5317 posts Send Private Message

Yeah but is it ok, or stress ?

• LittlePuffyTail
                      18092 posts Send Private Message

I think for some it is, but others just do it out of boredom.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR An appetite for fluff