Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR All Things Poop

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tails.of.Bunnicula
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

Hello new friends!

I have a 5 month old Rex/Harlequin mix, scheduled for a neuter in one month.  My little guy eats a LOT of poop. Not just his squishy ones which I know is normal, but hard ones as well.  He’ll poop 5 or 6 where he’s sitting then gobble them up. (He doesn’t seem to touch the ones in his litter box that I can tell). Also throughout the day he’s munching on his poops…

His daily diet consists of around 4 tbsp of alfalfa pellets, a small mix of veggies twice a day (when he came to me he was already eating veggies so I continued including them in his diet), he gets parsley, dill, romaine, cilantro mostly.  And he has unlimited access to Timothy hay.

I know poop eating can possibly mean he’s lacking something in his diet, I’m just curious if anyone else’s bun eats the hard poops?  All the time? Or should I bring him into the vet to get checked out before his neuter?  Otherwise he’s a pretty normal bun, binky’s, dramatic flops ect…

Any advice would be appreciated ☺

• Bam
        16872 posts Send Private Message

It’s not really known why some rabbits eat their own round poop. I’ve seen it in my bun when he was coming out of a bout of stasis. There is the theory that the bun needs the fiber thats in the round poop, or the good bacteria the round poop contains. (Some vets suggest feeding a poorly rabbit poop from a healthy rabbit, to help reestablish a healthy gut microbiome).

Puppy dogs often eat their own or other dogs’ poop. Some dogs retain this habit all through their lives. It hasn’t been linked to any nutritional deficiencies. It may be about gut bacteria.

Does your bun eat his hay? Hay is very good food for gut bacteria.

I dont think you need to take your bun to the vet for this, but its of course always a good idea to get a check up before any surgery.

• Tails.of.Bunnicula
            Participant

He does eat his hay,  I just bought him a nice bag from a local farm and he really loves it.  I keep stashes around the house for him to encourage him to eat it more.

Thank you for the reply! I appreciate all the advice I can get 😀

• Ellie from The Netherlands
              Participant
              2512 posts Send Private Message

Oh, that’s interesting about poop transplantations. Science is just starting to learn about gut biome, and it’s very complex.

Breintje once ate a couple of pellets of two other buns. They were in the bedroom during New Year’s Eve: we often have friends over who have buns too. I thought I’d cleaned up after them properly.

• LBJ10
              16899 posts Send Private Message

Poop eating (the regular kind of poop) happens more often than people think it does. I agree with Bam, I wouldn’t be overly concerned. He may grow out of it too.

• DanaNM
                8930 posts Send Private Message

Both of my boys do this. I chalk it up to them being gross boys! Bun Jovi will poop a whole pile and then eat them all (at least he’s cleaning up after himself) and Cooper will leave half chewed up poops all over the place!

But I agree, as long as he’s eating lots of hay then it’s not something to worry about.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Tails.of.Bunnicula
                  Participant

<p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>Thank you everyone! (Lol Bun Jovi)!</p>
                    <p style=”padding-left: 40px;”>As much research as I’ve done I find no information on eating “normal” poops, so I’m happy to have this community of bunny owners who can give real world experience</p>

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                    Participant
                    2512 posts Send Private Message

Our bun does this too when he accidentally dropped something in the wrong place: he eats the hard poop pellets.

Sometimes he lets a couple of poops go when he’s napping, or when he wasn’t fast enough for the litter box. He notices it when he wakes up, or walks back after going to the box.

Rabbits are surprisingly cleanly, even though eating poop sounds very gross to us 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR All Things Poop