Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Aggressive Holland Lops

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • blacktort
      Participant
      11 posts Send Private Message

Hey,

I have two holland lop females, sisters…they are going to be a year old in late April. They live together, and don’t seem to have problems, except for occasional squables. They are not spayed. (When I got them that was the plan, but I got scared off reading about how rabbits don’t always make it through the surgery because they are small etc.)

They were complete sweethearts until about six months of age. They loved to be held, were happy to come out of their cage, and were easy to handle. At Around 8 months or so they started to try to bite men, any boy or man would stick their hand in their cage and they would back up against the cage, growl, and sometimes try to bite. They have never growled or tried to bite me, but I am starting to get a bit more fearful of them, as I am worried they will try to bite me. One of them is much better then the other, she is hard to catch because she is quick, but ultimately she settles down. The other is very difficult to care for anymore. When I clean their cage I just take the top off and let them jump out, and when I am done I direct them back into the cage and put the top back on, but I worry quite a bit that they are going to get worse.

They also seem to go through “moods” where one day they will be angels, when I open the cage they nuzzle against my hand and beg for treats and attention where the next day they will not want me anywhere near them.

This is the first time I have had two rabbits at once, and also the first time I have had a female that lives indoors. My male indoor dwarf was never in the least aggressive or hyper.

Is it to late to correct the problem by spaying? Or is it best to try to just get them out more and try to socialize them better. (As it has become more of a hassel, I get them out less.)

My dad is not real happy with them, as one just tried to bite him when he was getting out their food bowl…but then I had no problem when I went to take over…as every person they have bit out of anger has been a man.

I really need help though, because if they keep it up…my parents aren’t going to want them around for another 7-8 years.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

Nope, get them spayed!! This will probably definitely fix it.

I know how you feel by being scared off…But this is what un-scared off me; 85% of female rabbits will get cancer by age 3 when not spayed.

To boot they become nicer, gentler and get better litter habits.

By the way, Welcome to Binky Bunny!!!

• blacktort
          Participant

Thanks for your quick reply –

Where is the best place to get spaying done, as I obviously wouldn’t be taking them where I got my dogs done…Someone that specializes in small animals?

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

welcome here!  it is absolutely necessary they both get spayed.  it is not too late to have improvements in behavior. i’d suggest they get spayed on the same day, they will need separate cages to allow for healing time and they will most likely need to be rebonded again after the surgery, but without the surgery the chances are good they will develop cancer and never be able to be the loving pets they used to be. 

here is the link to the House Rabbit Society page of recommended vets.  surgery is always risky, but in the right vet hands the chances of complications are very, very low.  it may be necessary to drive a but further to reach a qualified, rabbit savvy vet (some people drive one hour or more) but it’s very important to have trust in the doctor.

just click on where you live…   http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

Welcome, spaying will certainly help. Even after spaying though (and I highly recommend you spay your bunnies) they may still not be happy with you sticking your hand in their cage – it sounds like you have a work around for that though.

I actually would keep them together though after their spay since they are bonded – they most likely will not injure each other and it will help them recover quicker with their partner.

Do look at the HRS spay list. At the sanctuary I work at we get rabbits spayed at all ages and all sizes and we have never had a problem. We’ve had more problems with the older females coming to us that have not been spayed in terms of health and behavior issues.

• blacktort
                Participant

I will try to get them spayed within the month…I am wishing now I would have done it earlier, but I didn’t realize at the time that they were going to change a lot in personality after maturity.

I would like to keep them together, as they are very close, as they have been together since birth. The more shy of the two also tends to get a little anxious without her sister around and I would like them to be as relaxed as is possible.

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

okay… disregard what i said, the wise Sarita has spoken!

you do want to make sure to watch them tho that they’re not attacking each other while they are trying to heal and make sure to keep them somewhat confined for at least a few days after.

• kimberleyanddarren
                    Participant
                    2520 posts Send Private Message

Kokaneeandkahlua basically summed it uo for u! i know spaying is worrying as i am worrying about it to, but it really is whats best for your bun and the cancer thing is a shocking statisitic but nonetheless very acurate. This should sort out your problem and welcome to binkybunny!

• blacktort
                      Participant

Well, I am glad to know that it is pretty normal for unspayed females to have mood swings/be aggressive…as I felt I must be doing something wrong with them that they were acting that way.

• kimberleyanddarren
                        Participant

are u going to consider having them spayed?

• blacktort
                          Participant

As I said before I am going to try to get it done as soon as I can.

• kimberleyanddarren
                            Participant

oh whoops i didnt read it sorry.
                              its a scary thought i know! i am worried crapless lol

• blacktort
                              Participant

Well, I scheduled a appointment for April 14th…I am quite nervous about the whole thing, but I am sure it will be for the better, any ideas on how to make the transport less stressful for them though?

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Aggressive Holland Lops