Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Aggressive bunny can be bonded ?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Somg
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi all
        Im glad that i found this community

I have a spayed 6 months bunny and i just got a new 12 weeks old male bunny

I separated them , but my original

bunny escaped her cage and broke the new one’s cage and bite his lip so badly

She is naturally so sensitive and picky bunny but now she is even more , she is extra sensitive and aggressive so yesterday even i almost got bitten as well

My new one is so calm and sweet boy

even tho he got injured so badly , he is nice and sweet to us  which made us sooo sad

i dont know they can be eventually bonded or not
        I cannot deal with any injury anymore

is there anyone who experiences the same thing ?

• Bunniesareamazing
        Participant
        25 posts Send Private Message

It’s understandable for the female to be territorial to the new bunny especially since she’s 6 months old. How long ago was she spayed? It could just be hormones. Keep them separated the best you can, wait till the female fully recovers from her spay and of course neuter the new rabbit as well when it is his time.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

Oh man, how scary! Especially with one bun so young! Have you taken your young bun to the vet to have his lip looked at? This type of injury happened on one of my buns and she needed 1 suture to stitch it up.

So, as you probably are aware, it’s essential that they are not able to escape and get to each other again. It’s very normal for rabbits to be aggressive to other rabbits when they are not in neutral territory, especially females. That said, sometimes bad injuries can prevent a bond from forming correctly.

In this case, I would recommend full separation of the buns (so they are in different rooms) for at least 4-6 weeks. You also will need to get your new bun neutered. After he is neutered, his hormones have settled for at least 3 weeks, and that 4-6 separation period is up, you can set them up in side-by-side pens, but with a barrier that they cannot nip through (either fine mesh or a double walled fence with a 4-6 inch space between the walls) or jump over. Rabbits will jump much higher than you’ve ever seen before when they are trying to “get at” another rabbit.

This side-by-side arrangement is called pre-bonding, and you should have them live like this for a couple of weeks and see how they react to each other. Swap which bun is on which side every day or two, and continue this until the buns seem calm around each other (still on opposite sides).

If all of that goes well, then you can try dating in neutral territory (somewhere neither rabbit as been) and see how it goes.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Aggressive bunny can be bonded ?