Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING advise on my bonding process

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • angelicvampyre
      Participant
      754 posts Send Private Message

Ok most of you know that I have two unaltered rabbits. Bugz who is approx 6 months and Anya who is 5 weeks.

Bugz is going in for the snip on Friday and Anya will get spayed early next year.  At the moment they are in two seperate cages with Anya on the top level of the hutch and Bugz with the two levels below, the plan is to open the levels later down the track so they both have access to all three.  I read somewhere that by keeping them like this helps get them use to each other smells and may help in the bonding process.

At the moment I am playing with Bugz on the floor at night and I also take Anya down with me, keeping her on my lap or on my chest so that Bubz can see and smell her.  Last night she was on my lap and Bugz would come over and lick her face and then go back to playing or rubing himself all over me or groom himself in front of her.  My question is should I allow this to continue to happen?  I would NOT leave them unattended or let Anya have free range of the floor if Bugz is out as Bugz is VERY randy and would most likely end up humping her (I got him a teddy bear and the other day I picked it up and the back end is wet! ).  They will be kept seperate with supervised play time for at least the next 4 – 5 weeks (to ensure that Bugz has no hope in hell of getting her up the duff!)  I know that everyones says that she has not reached sexual maturity but I still would not want to risk it.

Any thoughts suggestions ideas?

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

Personally, I think having them interact is a good thing and something you can continue after his op. After you are thru the safety zone (4 weeks?) you may even be able to begin bonding them. I’m not sure on this, but I assume it’s fine for them to bond before she is an adult. Only thing is when she hits puberty she may change toward Bugz but she may be fine also. I’m pretty sure it can be done though (katie.hedger bonded hers before one was fixed. Was meant to be a fixed male/ unfixed female pairing but Penny turned out to be a boy!)  If you prefer to bond them after she is fixed, then their close living will help.  You can even alternate them between cages and continue supervised play.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I would wait a little while until Anya has filled out a tiny bit more. She’s pretty small right now and you will have to be careful of injury. Definitely wait the month until after Bugz is altered. They could certainly see each other. I think it’s fine to bond before she is an adult but she is just to small right now and you don’t want to risk injury to her.

• jerseygirl
            22345 posts Send Private Message

Oh very good point Sarita! Especially if Bugz is still inclined to mount. I forget just how young Anya is – just 5 weeks?

• angelicvampyre
              Participant
              754 posts Send Private Message

I am being very careful that Bugz can not get to her to hump as I always have her in my in my lap and a bit higher then his face so that he can sniff and lick her face but that’s about it however if you think that I should stop that I will.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING advise on my bonding process