Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Advice with breaved young bunny

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • SmudgyFudgyLoafs
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi all,

Last Thursday (3rd June) we picked our 2 little bunnies from the breeder and bought them to their forever home.

They were settling in really well and we bonded with them quite fast.

On Wednesday this week at around 12:45pm, Smudge all of a sudden started lifting his paw up and looked like he was fitting, without a second guess we picked him up and got him to the vet – where they suspected he has e.cuniculi and gave us some Panacur – we checked on him every 30 minutes but he was struggling, by 6:30pm he had passed away. Fudge was by the body and had his head on him, to let us know what had happened.

We moved Fudge to a seperate play pen we had and my family cleaned the hutch, while I played with Fudge and he seemed alright.

We got him checked over at the vets yesterday and he is healthy, but as a pre-caution he’s on Panacur for 28 days and advice from the vet is to not get another bunny until he’s off the meds – fair enough.

We kept him inside with us yesterday evening for a few hours, playing and cuddling him and he was pretty chilled – he even licked and nibbled my finger for the first time!

We return him to his run and he was chewing on his little play bridge we got him, but he wouldn’t really move from the corner and was standing up by the door.

We decided to let him out of the run to explore the patio and garden again, but by this time it was 9:30/10pm so it was dark-ish.
        He was having zoomies and binkying but he was very on edge to us, he would run away if we got near him and if he did come near, he would sniff us and run away.

I’m not sure if he was playing with us and just having fun or if he is scared.

We put him back into the hutch, and closed off the run. We put a bunny door stop (all we had at 10pm at night!) we had in with him to cuddle and he was really calm and he was fine this morning as far as we can tell.

He’s eating and drinking OK, he loves to be petted and that. He’s not the most energetic bunny anyway, and doesn’t like to move for his food (just like his owner!) but I’m just worried he’s suffering inside and not really sure what else we can do!

At the moment, he’s just in his run munching on this play bridge – so not sure if thats a sign of him being lonely or stressed or if he’s just being a standard bunny.

It’s our first rabbits together as a couple, and Nic’s first one since she was a teenager – so we’re just worried as we don’t want to go through the emotions again with another bunny so soon.

Thanks in advance for your help.
        Chris

• Bam
        16836 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry you lost Smudge.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things with Fudge. Since rabbits find safety in numbers, he may be more cautious and fearful of his surroundings now when he is on his own. Rabbits dont like being alone. They like to have other individuals around them, because being prey animals, they always feel vulnerable.

He will benefit from extra attention from his humans now.

• SmudgyFudgyLoafs
            Participant

Thank you Bam.

We’re just worried about leaving him at night in case he does pass away.

He seems to be a lot better today and has been happily hopping along the patio, I think letting him out at night time didn’t help.
              He’s lying next to the bunny door stop in his run and he’s a lot calmer, and doesn’t seem to be grooming as much.

I just hope he’s going to be OK, I work from home so can always check on him every hour or so, so I hope that’s enough to keep him going.

He’s only 9 weeks old bless him, so hopefully age and not being with Smudge for too long might be in his favour, as they were only bonded for 3 weeks before we picked them up.

• Bam
            16836 posts Send Private Message

It does sound like he will be ok. Give him extra attention, and keep an eye on his eating and pooping so you see everything is in good working order!

• SmudgyFudgyLoafs
                Participant

Thank you! Thought I would reply to say Fudge is doing fine now!

He’s binkying. flopping and eating – so all happy 🙂

• SweetPotato
                Participant
                100 posts Send Private Message

Binky free Smudge! It sounds like the last week of his life was a great one :-c

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Advice with breaved young bunny