Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Advice on baby bunny diet?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • amars831
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

So my bunny Bartholomew is 6 months old currently and I have had him since 11 weeks old. I got him for free from a farm in my area and he is the first bunny I have ever owned so I’m still new to bunny care although I have researched a lot.

When I got him he was already started on veggies but I wasn’t told any other info about his diet. I have been giving him Oxbow Young Rabbit pellets based on his weight and right now I have been giving half a cup a day. He gets unlimited supply of timothy hay and water and I give him about a cup or two of mixed greens a day such as red and green leaf lettuce, dandelion greens, carrot tops and cilantro (that’s his favorite)

He eats everything well and I haven’t noticed any issues with his bathroom habits or any lack of appetite, but he seems hungry all of the time, he will have a whole bunch of hay available but as soon as he gets pellets or greens he devours them sometimes I feel too quickly.

I just want to be sure I am giving him the right amounts of food,  I have to estimate his weight for now since he won’t stay still on a scale long enough to get an accurate weight anymore. A couple months ago he was 4 or 5 pounds and I would say he is 6 to 8 now. The person I got him from said he was a Flemish/Lop mix but again not much detail more then that was given. So I really have no clue how big he is supposed to be. To me he seems at a healthy weight based on looks possibly on the skinner side. I would just like some advice/ opinion on how much he should be eating and if I’m doing the right thing.

Thank you!

• Bam
        16836 posts Send Private Message

The diet sounds good. A rabbit should always act hungry. It’s when a rabbit do3snt act hungry or refuses food that you should worry. As long as he eats hay and has ample hay (and water) available 24/7, he wont starve.

Rabbits can however eat too fast, which should be prevented. They can choke on pellets, which can be fatal. To slow down the eating you can scatter the pellets around the living area so he has to “forage” for them, or you can serve them in a treat ball so he has to work for them.

Young rabbits tend to be lean. Their muscle mass is not yet complete, the fill out for quite some time after they’ve hit puberty, i e long after they’ve reached their adult height. We see the same thing in foals, they’re “all legs” until they are fully adult.

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Bam, his diet sounds good and he sounds very healthy to me!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Advice on baby bunny diet?