Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Advice for best floor topper

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • DixonDad
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

To give a little background, my bunny is almost 9 years old. I live in an apartment and my floor is carpeted. I wanted to make him free range, but I have a lot of tech in my apartment, so that’s not possible. Therefore, I did the next best thing. I gave him 2/3 of my bedroom, including full access to my bed area. The carpet is somewhat rough, and recently, I’ve noticed some hair loss on the leg that he likes to thump with (he sometimes gets scared at night if he hears noises he can’t identify and will thump for a few minutes until I go over and pet him into a calm state). I was worried about sore hocks, so I did some research, talked to a vet, and decided on EVA foam puzzle tiles for new flooring. I covered his entire part of the floor with them, and covered that with soft sheets so he doesn’t chew the foam. He took to the new floor pretty quickly once I put the sheets down, but I’m worried about him not having enough traction to do zoomies (he likes to do the 15 foot run from the top of my bed to the opposite corner of his enclosure and back in the morning). Does anyone have recommendations for something I could put down over the foam instead of sheets that would give him more traction? I need something that can cover a large area (preferably not another carpet).

• LBJ10
        16897 posts Send Private Message

Fleece usually works pretty well for this. Soft, but not too slick.

• DixonDad
          Participant

Awesome, thank you! I’ll look into that.

• RabbitLove2008
              Participant
              14 posts Send Private Message

Another good thing about flat fleece mats (imitation sheepskin used to prevent bedsores in humans) is that, at least in our experience, they are the only rabbit comfort material we have ever found that does not become chewed. When we first had rabbits, we naively bought them fleece-covered foam-rubber dog beds. . .a big mistake, as they were soon chewed to perdition! We eventually tried the flat fleece mats, and while they are chewable, our rabbits don’t seem to be interested in chewing them.

• DixonDad
              Participant

Just wanted to give a follow up on the foam floors. He LOVES the texture. I was worried he’d be stressed out by the change, but every time I look over from my desk, he’s sprawled out or flopped in the middle of his space.

• Oliver The Bunny!
                Participant
                46 posts Send Private Message

I have a really soft throw blanket that my bin loves! It’s his favorite to flop on but he still has traction! I also found that when I use fleece it’s impossible to clean. But the hay and pop just slides right of this soft blanket. Here’s a picture of it!

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Advice for best floor topper