Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Advice for a special rabbit?

This topic contains 2sd replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kurottabun 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

achajo2
    Participant

Hi, all. Long time / first time.

I found a rabbit in my area in desperate need of a home. The rabbit has a permanent head tilt, which doesn’t concern me so much, and a foot with no claws, which concerns me a bit more. 

Currently, I have two rabbit companions (F/7yo and M/4yo). They slip a bit on certain parts of my floor, so I worry that this new rabbit may not be able to stand. I am thinking about crafting a little rubber booty for the afflicted foot, but don’t want to constrict it at the expense of his bone health, etc. 

Please share any advice, ideas, etc.! 

Sirius&Luna
    Participant

I can’t imagine that one foot with no claws would cause a huge amount of problems – perhaps you could get a big rug or something for his area. I don’t think most rabbits would tolerate a little boot, it’s likely to distress him.

Have you thought about whether you’re going to bond him with your two existing bunnies? He’ll need some time to settle in to the new environment at first anyway, especially with his medical issues. There’s also always a risk that having a new bunny in the house will break the bond between your existing pair, so make sure you’ve thought about all eventualities, not just for him, but for your existing buns too.

kurottabun
    Participant

You mentioned that it’s “a” foot with no claws, which sounds like the other three feet are functioning properly? If that’s the case, I wouldn’t be too worried since the functioning feet can provide some balance. Like S&L said, most bunnies don’t tolerate having something attached to them and it’s likely that this bunny too would try and get the boot off constantly, so I’d just leave the foot be.

If you’re absolutely sure you can afford to take in this bunny (in terms of space, finances, potential bonding issues etc), you could always try to let him/her walk on the floor first and observe their reaction. If bunny seems to be apprehensive of the “certain parts” that you speak of, or is slipping/facing some trouble balancing, you can try some area rugs or mats.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.