Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Advantage and Fleas

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gravehearted
      Participant
      2428 posts Send Private Message

I think my kidlets have fleas, so I’m going to order Advantage.  Normally I get the 9+ lb cat formula and split a single tube over all three bunnies, as directed by my vet. I was reading online that the dog Advantage is exactly the same formula  and  costs much less since it goes further.  Being the nervous bunny mom, I wanted to see if anyone has heard about using Advantage for dogs on buns – since if there’s any question of safety I’d never take the risk!

Hareiette also wanted me to let you know she does not approve of fleas and has banned them all from the house.  Unfortunately the little buggers aren’t fleeing on the princess’ will!

Thanks!

• KytKattin
        Participant
        1195 posts Send Private Message

Since we have so very many animals (somewhere around 25-30 that need flea meds) we buy the biggest tubes and I draw up the exact dose per animal through a needle into a syringe. I then take the needle off before applying it to the animal. We have never had a problem with this. Do so only if you feel comfortable properly dividing it as it would be very easy to overdose.

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

As long as you are getting Advantage and NOT Advantix that should be fine.  Just verify the active ingredients are the same between the dog and cat products you are comparing. 

AdvanTIX has added tick medication that is toxic for cats- so I assume is bad news for bunnies too.

Julie

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Hi Gravehearted!!! So great to see ya back here!! Actually this is good to know about Advantage for dogs. I just figured that the strength of the meds was stronger for larger animals. So it’s the same strength, just larger tubes?

• RabbitPam
              11002 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been trying to buy some Advantage (though the need has passed. We got fleas where I work!!! They’re gone finally.) and can’t find it in stores.
                I was shopping for Kitten dosage, which is what I had read to be recommended, so am interested in the dosage info. as well.

My question is, where do I buy this – is it only online?

• KytKattin
                Participant
                1195 posts Send Private Message

We have lately been buying ours at Petsmart. It is a good deal more expensive than online though, so if you can do that, I would strongly recommend that! As far as I can tell it is the same strength, that is why you just use more of it. A vet told us once that it is all the same stuff, but it’s good to check from time to time as companies do change things.

I need to point something out that is important though; while the big dog tubes work well for us, you have to keep in mind storage if you don’t use all of a tube. For us it tends to not be a problem, and if there is a little extra then I just pull it up in the syringe for storage. So the biggest tubes may not be the best option. Instead find the size that will dose all of your animals without too much extra. It might cost a little more, but it would be worth it.

• KatnipCrzy
                  Participant
                  2981 posts Send Private Message

The dosage is based on dog and cat- and then also by weight of the dog and cat.  The strength of the solution of Advantage is the same- but the amount is larger for a larger pet.  If you only have a single bunny it would not be cost effective to buy a larger dose and “save” some for a month later- because one of the main inactive ingredients is alcohol which helps the product to spread over the pets skin and hair coat (that is why you only need to apply in one place between the shoulder).  Saving an opened tube for a month would most likely evaporate some of the alcohol and the active ingredient may not spread properly then. 

If you have multiple animals that you are treating- as long as you are clear on dosing and making sure you are using the correct product- then that is fine.

Be careful about buying online as there are some counterfit products out there- that are packaged just the like name brand ones but they do not contain the same active ingredient- they use the cheaper pesticide that is in most of the el cheapo topical flea drops that don’t work as well- but these are NOT safe for bunnies.  So be sure to buy from a reliable source when buying online.  Using on a rabbit is probably an off label use- so counterfiters don’t care that it is not safe for bunnies.

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Posted By KatnipCrzy on 05/31/2009 04:30 PM

The dosage is based on dog and cat- and then also by weight of the dog and cat.  The strength of the solution of Advantage is the same- but the amount is larger for a larger pet.  If you only have a single bunny it would not be cost effective to buy a larger dose and “save” some for a month later- because one of the main inactive ingredients is alcohol which helps the product to spread over the pets skin and hair coat (that is why you only need to apply in one place between the shoulder).  Saving an opened tube for a month would most likely evaporate some of the alcohol and the active ingredient may not spread properly then. 

Thank you for clearing that up, that is helpful for me to know as I wouldn’t need the whole tube all at once.

• SirThumpsey
                      Participant
                      539 posts Send Private Message

I thought I was going to need to get something for my flea-ridden bunny..but turned out she didn’t have fleas.

I always thought they recommended the cat formula for rabbits because both animals groom themselves. But perhaps that has nothing to do with it. I went to a pet store when this happened and asked them what they use.

They use pyrex which is actually made for birds who have mites. They have been using it on hamsters, mice, rabbits and other rodents and lagomorphs.

I think this is a baad idea…

• Gravehearted
                        Participant
                        2428 posts Send Private Message

oops – i checked the day i posted – but didn’t notice all the replies! Sorry for taking so long to reply and I appreciate all the comments.

One of my bunny rescue people got me nervous about using the dog formula and based on KatnipCrzy’s advice about it sitting around I think I’ll not go for that option. I generally just buy the one for cats 9+ lbs and divide the dose among all three bunnies.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Advantage and Fleas