Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Adopting an Older Bonded Pair

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunnies4ever
      Participant
      368 posts Send Private Message

Hello Everyone!  I came across a bonded pair (7 & 5 years old) that are in rescue. Cody is a Polish or Netherland dwarf (not sure which) and Charlie is a Holland Lop.  They were living in a deplorable condition and are now in foster care.  I’m thinking about adopting them, but have a question.  I consider myself a pretty experienced rabbit mom, but is there anything I need to know about an "older" rabbit.  I would love to adopt them so they can live our their years with love and tranquility. Currently my buns are 1.5 and 2 years old.  Even though they were living in cramped quarters, they seem to be in good health with no apparent health problems, but will be checked out by my vet.  Thanks.

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have any experience with older buns (my guys are all around 2), but good on you for considering adopting what would otherwise be a difficult to place pair.  I have read in passing that older bunnies have less energy for chewing, digging and running than their younger counterparts, and some older bunnies begin to lose weight and need extra calories in their diet from alfalfa hay.  This would of course be based on a suggestion from your vet.

• JK
          Participant
          2223 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know about older rabbits but I did want to say you are an angel to consider this.  Over and over again I am so shocked about what animals must endure because of horrible humans. It should be an eye for an eye in my opinion!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Oh right! I’ve read that too osprey! Alfalfa hay is good for senior buns! Your vet will be able to tell you if they should have it now or not yet.

• Bunnies4ever
              Participant

Osprey, that’s good to know! I did ask some questions about chewing and their foster mom says that they don’t. I didn’t know about the the extra calories so that good to know also! Their foster mom has them set up in her bathroom right now, since she also fosters guinea piggies and probably is running out of room in her house! I plan on building a NIC cage this weekend. I’m so excited! She sent me some pictures of them and I will try to post them later!

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

Kudo’s to you for considering these rabbits!

Most rabbits are considered senior around 8 years old in my opinion so these are quite senior yet :~) but getting there. The majority of my rabbits I’ve had for over 5 years and I’m not certain of their true ages since they came to me as adults. It would be wise to get bloodwork on the bunnies so that the vet has a baseline in case they do get ill.

As far as behavior, it’s hard to say, none of my rabbits are the same but they do tend to be less destructive.

I have friends who have rabbits who are 9 years and older. Yes, they have had some health issues but every rabbit is different but certainly older rabbits might have a greater need in some areas than younger ones.

Let us know what you decide.

• Bunnies4ever
                  Participant

Sarita, thanks for the advice! I will have the bloodwork done when I take them in for their check-up. My vet is pretty bunny-savvy so I’ll ask what he thinks.

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

Kudos to you for considering adopting them, it really would be a blessing for them!

I’ve had older buns and they aren’t too different. They do tend to get a lil more mellow with age, but none of mine lost enough weight to be of major concern

• RabbitPam
                      11002 posts Send Private Message

I love an older rabbit! After about his 6th year Spockie mellowed and was really easy to have around. I could let down my guard because his habits were formed and he was more into naps and affection. It was as if, after 5 years of tasting those wires, he finally knew they weren’t food and lost interest. He had the option to run and play, but obviously liked just hanging out.

Their teeth may need some work, but then, not long after I started getting dental procedures done by the vet, the teeth stopped their constant growing and he was actually better off. They can age the way we do – quickly deteriorating or just slowing down a bit. Possibly more visits to the vet, but so worth it.

Also, the bonded pair will have your two young ones as companions. Are you introducing them first or just going to accomplish the rescue?

It’s wonderful of you to give them a great home.

• LittlePuffyTail
                        18092 posts Send Private Message

That’s great that you want to offer them a loving retirement home. I hope all goes well with the vet check.

• Bunnies4ever
                          Participant

Thanks so much for all the advice! Right now, I plan on accomplishing the rescue if I can. I informed their foster mom of my intention on building the NIC cage. She really wants them to have enough room since they were living in a really confined space. I told her not to worry, they will have their own room to romp and play in!

Currently, Kahlua and Chloe live in my office upstairs and I plan on Cody and Charliie living downstairs in my spare room. Hopefully, once everyone settles in, I’ll introduce them. I know Kahula is not the friendliest rabbit in the world, he harrasses Chloe most of the time. Chloe just wants to chill out under my desk and Kahlua wants to play chase!

• Lisa_43
                            Participant
                            1499 posts Send Private Message

Ditto here as well, good on you for taking in senior rabbits that would find it harder to get a home.

• skunklionshow
                              Participant
                              1257 posts Send Private Message

I love that senior pets are more mellow and set in their ways.  3 out of 4 of my cats are considered Seniors, they’re about 13 yrs old.  I have had more vet bills w/ them then when they were younger….dental problems, thyroid, diabetes.  The ex once told me that w/ aging cats, they tend to keep all the interpersonality characteristics of their younger selves, just w/ less energy.

I’m so excited for you.  I’m sure you will provide them w/ a wonderful retirement home!

• MooBunnay
                                Participant
                                3087 posts Send Private Message

Yay for adopting senior rabbits!! My constant “daydream” is having a retirement home for older bunnies. Also, I would consider 7&5 a bit more “middle aged” than “senior” really. I have a couple 5 yr. old bunnies and they still act like little children I think that you’ll really enjoy having the older more mature rabbits.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                  Participant
                                  4293 posts Send Private Message

That’s wonderful you are considering Charlie & Cody! I love older bunnies myself, although the vet bills can be a bit higher. Just a thought – motility can be an issue so you’ll want to know how able they are to hop up & down levels in a NIC condo and if they will need ramps and a litter box with a low side.

• Bunnies4ever
                                    Participant

Thanks for that thought Scarlet Rose! I was thinking about low level platforms, but now I think I might use ramps. I plan on making it big enough that I can have two boxes; one at the top and one on the bottom.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                      Participant
                                      4293 posts Send Private Message

You’re welcome and that’s a great idea and two waters as well! With smaller breeds though, they tend not to have quite so much trouble with motility issues like bigger rabbits. I think the fosterer would be more than happy to share all info with you too so you have a better idea.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Adopting an Older Bonded Pair