Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Adopting a Bun Dealing With Choosy Shelters Plus General Advice/Experiences

• This topic has 20sd replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Tay.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    • Shiver_Rose
      Participant
      47 posts Send Private Message

I have been interested in getting a second rabbit for a while now.  I would love for my bun Cynthia to have a companion.  I would imagine that life can get pretty lonely and boring for a single rabbit living in a cage. 

I am looking for a rescue only.  Not only do I want to rescue a bunny in need, but I also want an adult so I already know the personality and rescues/shelters are more likely to be honest about the personality/health of the bunny.

I have already found rabbits I am very interested in online.  The only problem is the obstacles that stand in my way of the adoption process.  One being that my dog is not spayed.  She is always leashed (for her safety) so this is not contributing to the problem of animal over population in any way.  The only reason she is not yet spayed is because I have always wanted her to have one litter of puppies and give one of them to my mother who simply adores her.  This is something that will be carefully supervised by a veterinarian to rule out any complications and assure healthy offspring.  After she produces the litter she will be spayed immediately for her health.  I am, however, morally conflicted about breeding her due to all of the shelter dogs without homes.  All things aside, if spaying my dog means the difference between whether or not I am able to adopt a rabbit I would probably choose the rabbit as I am not hugely motivated to breed her.   

My question is this- Is it possible to find a rescue/shelter that will adopt to you when you have the intention of breeding one of your pets? I applied to adopt a rabbit from my local shelter last summer and I was rejected because my dog was unspayed.  I never told them about my intentions to breed her, however I know they are highly against the breeding of animals versus adopting.  Also, I am concerned that I will be rejected since my rabbit has had an upper respiratory infection.  (Obviously I will apply to adopt only after that is cleared up so as not to expose any other bunnies to the illness.)

I know that shelters and rescues can be extremely selective about who they adopt to.  Sometimes I think it’s ridiculous.  Imagine how many animals are sitting in shelters without homes because of their pickiness.  I know that the bunny I tried to rescue is probably still sitting in that metal cage with little to no attention because of this (along with the 50 others they had rescued from a hoarding situation.)  That’s just my two cents but I don’t mean to bash shelters in any way as I have adopted from them, volunteered for them, and will continue to do so and support them.

Anyway, any stories/experiences/advice about adopting are welcome.

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Shiver_Rose on 4/10/2017 9:42 AM

I have been interested in getting a second rabbit for a while now.  I would love for my bun Cynthia to have a companion.  I would imagine that life can get pretty lonely and boring for a single rabbit living in a cage. 

I am looking for a rescue only.  Not only do I want to rescue a bunny in need, but I also want an adult so I already know the personality and rescues/shelters are more likely to be honest about the personality/health of the bunny.

I have already found rabbits I am very interested in online.  The only problem is the obstacles that stand in my way of the adoption process.  One being that my dog is not spayed.  She is always leashed (for her safety) so this is not contributing to the problem of animal over population in any way.  The only reason she is not yet spayed is because I have always wanted her to have one litter of puppies and give one of them to my mother who simply adores her.  This is something I am going to speak with my vet about extensively to rule out any complications and assure healthy offspring.  After she produces the litter she will be spayed immediately for her health.  I am on the fence and morally conflicted about breeding her.  If spaying my dog means the difference between whether or not I am able to adopt a rabbit I would probably choose the rabbit as I am not hugely motivated to breed her.   

My question is this- Is it possible to find a rescue/shelter that will adopt to you when you have the intention of breeding one of your pets? I applied to adopt a rabbit from my local shelter last summer and I was rejected because my dog was unspayed.  I never told them about my intentions to breed her, however I know they are highly against the breeding of animals versus adopting.  Also, I am concerned that I will be rejected since my rabbit has had an upper respiratory infection.  (Obviously I will apply to adopt only after that is cleared up so as not to expose any other bunnies to the illness.)

I know that shelters and rescues can be extremely selective about who they adopt to.  Sometimes I think it’s ridiculous.  Imagine how many animals are sitting in shelters without homes because of their pickiness.  I know that the bunny I tried to rescue is probably still sitting in that metal cage with little to no attention because of this (along with the 50 others they had rescued from a hoarding situation.)  That’s just my two cents but I don’t mean to bash shelters in any way as I have adopted from them, volunteered for them, and will continue to do so and support them.

Anyway, any stories/experiences/advice about adopting are welcome.

I don’t understand why you are quick to say you’re not contributing to overpopulation but then go on to say you want to breed your dog?

I don’t think shelters are necessarily over picky, they have high standards because they need to be sure their animals are going to a good home. Many people complain about an animal shelter near me ‘demanding too much’ when actually all they ask for is adequate space. People seem to think a pet store type cage is enough and any more than that is a ridiculous ask. I mean,  people have moaned that the animal shelter demands the equivalent of a mansion for a rabbit when in actual fact they just asked for a cage with the minimum size requirements. I think to myself, if you think the bare minimum is equivalent to a mansion then perhaps a rabbit isn’t for you because you clearly don’t take their needs seriously! Sorry that rant wasn’t aimed at you, I just had to get it off my chest lol.

• Shiver_Rose
          Participant

What I meant when I said that I wasn’t contributing to overpopulation was that she is not left to roam free and breed with any dog she pleases when she is in heat.  She has never had the opportunity to produce puppies since she has always been leashed for her protection.  If I do decide to breed her she will produce one small litter of puppies who will be sent to carefully screened and loving homes.  So in other words, she is not simply breeding out of control like some unfixed animals.  But I am morally conflicted about breeding her like I said because there are so many shelter dogs.  

I understand that your rant about cage sizing was not directed at me no worries.

For my bunny I purchased the largest cage I could find and comfortably fit in my apartment.  Very soon, the downstairs apartment below me is going to be opening up and my boyfriend and I are going to be renting out both floors.  Once that happens I am going to be purchasing her an even larger cage.  I have often considered the possibility of having a free range rabbit but all of the risks associated with that are simply too worrisome for me no matter how carefully one bunny proofs their home (an animal so small can easily be unseen/accidentally stepped on!)

I do feel that animal shelters can be too selective as I have heard of experiences where they would not adopt to people based on bad experiences with relatives who were not even living in the same home and had absolutely nothing to do with the person attempting to adopt (or neighbors living in another distant part of the same compound.)

• BanditCamp
            Participant
            451 posts Send Private Message

First, about the puppy breeding my mom has a yorkie and she did the breeding process and it was super intensive and difficult. She thought she could sell off the puppies and she ended up having to keep all 6 cause she couldn’t sell them. Always be prepared that even though you want to give one puppy to your mom you may end up owning more than you can handle, just my two steps.

As for shelter adopting it depends on the shelter as they receive SO MANY abused and mistreated buns and they don’t just want to give a rabbit who has been abandoned or abused to a possible ‘bad home’. Some also have some requirements and some shelters can be opinionated however as long as you tell them (AND FOLLOW) the American Bunny Rabbit Association’s (ARBA) guidelines for minimum requirements you are doing no evil. I’m glad your choosing to adopt from a shelter as all bunnies need love and most don’t consider shelter adoption. Consider confidence when speaking to these people as if you don’t appear confident they wont feel comfortable releasing a bun to you.

I’m going to free range my bunny when he’s a bit older as he still has some bad habits to kick (carpet chewing now and then) but he’s been very good with his litter and he’s close but I want to be extra sure.

Go back sound confident and fight for your poor baby to give some love!

• Shiver_Rose
              Participant

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely keep up with the ARBA guidelines to the best of my ability. I’m surprised to hear that your mom had difficulty adopting out her puppies. From what I’ve always heard puppies go like hot cakes! It seems that there is always a demand for puppies (especially a popular breed like a yorkie.)
                Unfortunately it’s the adults that are more likely to have difficulty finding homes and end up in shelters 🙁 Obviously you want to be sure that the owner is going to make a forever commitment though, and not make an impulse buy based on seeing a cute little puppy. Hearing your story definitely gives me something to think about and give pause. There is no way I can keep all of the puppies along with the pets that I already have. I also realize that the breeding process its self is a huge responsibility.

• kirstyol
                Participant
                580 posts Send Private Message

Here in the UK its ridiculously difficult to get an animal from any of the major charities. Cats protection are famous for rejecting people for ridiculous reasons such as living near a road! The SSPCA wont let you adopt an animal if you rent your property unless you can provide them proof that its ok with the landlord, they also don’t like people who live in flats. We would never have been allowed to adopt our bunnies officially because we live in a third floor flat on a busy main road with a poorly enclosed garden, even thought neither bun has ever been outside in their lives outwith being transported in their carriers. Yet they will happily give buns to people who fully intend to put them in hutches in their gardens for their entire lives – it makes me so mad, these charities are supposed to protect animals.

• sarahthegemini
                  Participant
                  5584 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Shiver_Rose on 4/10/2017 10:22 AM

What I meant when I said that I wasn’t contributing to overpopulation was that she is not left to roam free and breed with any dog she pleases when she is in heat.  She has never had the opportunity to produce puppies since she has always been leashed for her protection.  If I do decide to breed her she will produce one small litter of puppies who will be sent to carefully screened and loving homes.  So in other words, she is not simply breeding out of control like some unfixed animals.  But I am morally conflicted about breeding her like I said because there are so many shelter dogs.  

I understand that your rant about cage sizing was not directed at me no worries.

For my bunny I purchased the largest cage I could find and comfortably fit in my apartment.  Very soon, the downstairs apartment below me is going to be opening up and my boyfriend and I are going to be renting out both floors.  Once that happens I am going to be purchasing her an even larger cage.  I have often considered the possibility of having a free range rabbit but all of the risks associated with that are simply too worrisome for me no matter how carefully one bunny proofs their home (an animal so small can easily be unseen/accidentally stepped on!)

I do feel that animal shelters can be too selective as I have heard of experiences where they would not adopt to people based on bad experiences with relatives who were not even living in the same home and had absolutely nothing to do with the person attempting to adopt (or neighbors living in another distant part of the same compound.)

Ah okay, I see what you mean (regarding breeding) Sorry about the rant, I didn’t realise I had that building up in me haha! It sounds good what you’ve got planned

I’ve not witnessed that sort of picky ness with animal shelters but of course every shelter works differently. For what it’s worth, I can’t imagine your potential dog breeding being a cause of concern for adopting a second rabbit. Or the respiratory infection with your current bun so long as you follow safety and hygiene practices to prevent cross contamination whilst your bun is recovering. 

• Jessica
                    Participant
                    349 posts Send Private Message

Shelters are often very picky, often it’s all with good intentions but as an adoptive parent it can be beyond frustrating. When I first moved out on my own and wanted to adopt a dog I was turned down because they did not believe I owned my home, even after showing them the bill solely in my name. Most of the shelters in my area do require that other pets are spayed or neutered, and that they are in good standing/health with their vets. Right now I could not adopt a pet through a rescue because my dog does not get vaccines. This is because he has had a near fatal reaction and my vet believes another vaccine would kill him. It’s quite frustrating when all you want to do is offer an animal a forever home

• Shiver_Rose
                      Participant

Posted By Jessica on 4/10/2017 2:53 PM

Shelters are often very picky, often it’s all with good intentions but as an adoptive parent it can be beyond frustrating. When I first moved out on my own and wanted to adopt a dog I was turned down because they did not believe I owned my home, even after showing them the bill solely in my name. Most of the shelters in my area do require that other pets are spayed or neutered, and that they are in good standing/health with their vets. Right now I could not adopt a pet through a rescue because my dog does not get vaccines. This is because he has had a near fatal reaction and my vet believes another vaccine would kill him. It’s quite frustrating when all you want to do is offer an animal a forever home

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had experiences equally frustrating as mine with adoption.  That is very scary to hear about the vaccinations!  Is that type of reaction a possibility with all dogs/cats or simply with your particular dog?  If so I am terrified to get my cat and dog vaccinated again.

• Tony's Mum
                        Participant
                        431 posts Send Private Message

Yeah shelters can be almost too picky. I couldn’t adopt because I rent. In my city virtually everyone rents, it’s a really expensive place to live. I have a pretty decent job and I live alone in a pretty nice apartment, and I’m very responsible, but regardless I was still ruled out. I mean I do understand, there are some people who rent, move to a different place, and abandon pets because it’s too much hassle to move them, but I do think there needs to be a liiiiittle more flexibility sometimes.

• Shiver_Rose
                          Participant

Posted By kirstyol on 4/10/2017 12:26 PM

Here in the UK its ridiculously difficult to get an animal from any of the major charities. Cats protection are famous for rejecting people for ridiculous reasons such as living near a road! The SSPCA wont let you adopt an animal if you rent your property unless you can provide them proof that its ok with the landlord, they also don’t like people who live in flats. We would never have been allowed to adopt our bunnies officially because we live in a third floor flat on a busy main road with a poorly enclosed garden, even thought neither bun has ever been outside in their lives outwith being transported in their carriers. Yet they will happily give buns to people who fully intend to put them in hutches in their gardens for their entire lives – it makes me so mad, these charities are supposed to protect animals.

I hear ya.  It’s very frustrating!  I’m not an animal expert or a vet but sounds overly cautious to me.

• Shiver_Rose
                            Participant

Posted By Tony’s Mum on 4/10/2017 3:37 PM

Yeah shelters can be almost too picky. I couldn’t adopt because I rent. In my city virtually everyone rents, it’s a really expensive place to live. I have a pretty decent job and I live alone in a pretty nice apartment, and I’m very responsible, but regardless I was still ruled out. I mean I do understand, there are some people who rent, move to a different place, and abandon pets because it’s too much hassle to move them, but I do think there needs to be a liiiiittle more flexibility sometimes.

Omg your bun looks a lot like mine! hehe 😛  And yes I agree.

• Azerane
                              4688 posts Send Private Message

Posted By kirstyol on 4/10/2017 12:26 PM

The SSPCA wont let you adopt an animal if you rent your property unless you can provide them proof that its ok with the landlord,

That’s standard fare here. If you’re renting and you can’t prove you have the ok, they won’t adopt an animal to you. A lot of renters hide their pets from landlords when they’re not supposed to have them. However if the landlord finds out, often you get the ultimatum of get rid of the pet or find another place to live. In many instances, people get rid of the pet because it’s much easier than moving. Shelters screen for landlord approval to prevent that happening. Even on facebook groups I see it happen way too many times.

If your unspayed dog is an issue, you might have to look around at other shelters or rescues where it’s not a concern. For example, I can’t see a rabbit only rescue being concerned about whether you have a dog that is spayed or not. On that topic I think the issue will not be being able to find homes for puppies, but not wanting to find homes for puppies for a dog that you are very attached to etc. Also there’s no way of guaranteeing that she will have a small litter. Some breeds can have as many as 15 puppies in a litter.

• LBJ10
                                16898 posts Send Private Message

Possibly breeding your dog aside, I’m not sure what business of theirs it is if she is spayed or not. I mean, it’s not like you’re going to produce dog-rabbit hybrids. I guess I don’t understand why they would even ask if a dog is spayed/neutered yet. What if it were a puppy?

• Jessica
                                  Participant
                                  349 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Shiver_Rose on 4/10/2017 3:35 PM

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had experiences equally frustrating as mine with adoption.  That is very scary to hear about the vaccinations!  Is that type of reaction a possibility with all dogs/cats or simply with your particular dog?  If so I am terrified to get my cat and dog vaccinated again.

Reactions to vaccines do happen but fatal/near fatal is very rare. My dog is very tiny and has a number of allergies, a previous vet decided to do both his distemper combo and the rabies shot at the same. He was under 2lbs at the time and his system couldn’t handle it. Needless to say we never went back to that vet

• kirstyol
                                    Participant
                                    580 posts Send Private Message

I was asked all sorts of crazy stuff when we tried to adopt a friend for Bramble. Some places wouldn’t let us because we already had a pet (Bramble of course) I pointed out that was kinda the whole point but it got me nowhere. Another place had a problem with my being in a flat, my flat is bigger than any small one bed house but this was still a problem, then the fact that we were on the third floor was a problem for reasons I cannot figure out because I don’t get how that matters to a house bunny. Another place wanted some sort of letter from the letting agency, only we are not with a letting agency but they couldn’t accept anything other than a letter on letterheaded paper from a letting agency that we don’t have. The garden was also a problem for some reason because its small, communal and not completely enclosed – how that matters to my house bunnies I have no idea. The neighbours having a cat and another set having a dog was also an issue. I gave up and got Ron from the same classified site we had gotten Bramble from the year before.

• Shiver_Rose
                                      Participant

Posted By Jessica on 4/11/2017 9:39 AM

Posted By Shiver_Rose on 4/10/2017 3:35 PM

Reactions to vaccines do happen but fatal/near fatal is very rare. My dog is very tiny and has a number of allergies, a previous vet decided to do both his distemper combo and the rabies shot at the same. He was under 2lbs at the time and his system couldn’t handle it. Needless to say we never went back to that vet

I don’t mean to bash veterinarians and *obviously* if your pet is sick you *must* go to a vet but it’s amazing how many people out there seem to be pretty incompetent.  I was able to find a pretty awesome veterinarian for my rabbit who I just saw today.  She specializes in rabbits and exotics.  But as far as my dog and cat go I haven’t had a terrible amount of confidence in any of the vets that I’ve seen so far.  There was one vet I seemed to like but she switched offices and now charges a fortune.  I’m in the process of trying to get a good referral.  The vet I saw today seemed to have a promising recommendation.  

• Shiver_Rose
                                        Participant

Posted By kirstyol on 4/11/2017 3:22 PM

I was asked all sorts of crazy stuff when we tried to adopt a friend for Bramble. Some places wouldn’t let us because we already had a pet (Bramble of course) I pointed out that was kinda the whole point but it got me nowhere. Another place had a problem with my being in a flat, my flat is bigger than any small one bed house but this was still a problem, then the fact that we were on the third floor was a problem for reasons I cannot figure out because I don’t get how that matters to a house bunny. Another place wanted some sort of letter from the letting agency, only we are not with a letting agency but they couldn’t accept anything other than a letter on letterheaded paper from a letting agency that we don’t have. The garden was also a problem for some reason because its small, communal and not completely enclosed – how that matters to my house bunnies I have no idea. The neighbours having a cat and another set having a dog was also an issue. I gave up and got Ron from the same classified site we had gotten Bramble from the year before.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with adoption.  Cute name for your bun! (Bramble)

• Shiver_Rose
                                          Participant

Posted By LBJ10 on 4/10/2017 8:27 PM

Possibly breeding your dog aside, I’m not sure what business of theirs it is if she is spayed or not. I mean, it’s not like you’re going to produce dog-rabbit hybrids. I guess I don’t understand why they would even ask if a dog is spayed/neutered yet. What if it were a puppy?

My guess is that a lack of spaying shows irresponsibility.  Spaying and neutering are something that all veterinarians and shelters recommend the owner do as soon as the animal is of maturity and safe age to do so.  Aside from unwanted litters and adding to overpopulation not fixing an animal can lead to a whole range of health and behavioral problems such as aggression and fighting among pets, dogs/cats wandering off to reproduce and possibly getting themselves into danger or never coming back.  I know with females, remaining intact can cause a whole number of health issues.  The veterinarian I saw for my rabbit today was right on top of assuring that I spay my rabbit.  I assured her that this was something which I already planned to do.  The rabbit only recently reached maturity and shortly after she got sick.  She told me that until spayed, my rabbit runs the risk of ovarian cancer.  My aunt’s unspayed dog got an infection of the uterus which cost her family $6,000 to treat.  I’m sure you are already aware of all of these risks but it bears repeating if it could help anyone who might be reading this.  My point is that failing to neuter or spay shows a lack of responsibility for the pet’s health and welfare which I do understand.  In fact it is often shelter policy not to adopt out to homes with unspayed pets regardless of how fit the owner.  I mean think about it, they are in the business of animal control.  Failing to spay goes against everything they are about.  It just sucks in situations such as mine where the reason is slightly different, as I might want to breed my dog to produce one litter. 

• Shiver_Rose
                                            Participant

****Update
                                              Unfortunately it could be a while yet before I am able to adopt anyway I briefly mentioned it to the my rabbit’s vet today…just putting it out there. “Oh by the way, if I were to adopt another rabbit when would I be clear to do that?”

And she told me that it would not be for a while. Not only do I have to get my rabbit spayed first (obvs) but unfortunately it could take a bit before we figure out what is actually going on with my rabbit through different treatments and diagnostics.

Well…all good things are worth waiting for.

• Tay
                                              Participant
                                              105 posts Send Private Message

It’s frustrating when you’re trying to adopt a pet knowing that you’re going to give them a good loving home
                                                BUT the shelters have to be cautious – because not everybody trying to adopt a dog/cat/bunny is going to give them the good home they describe. It’s an unfortunate world we live in and people are crazy and so really it’s in the best interest of the animals when they’re super selective like this. If an animal is in a shelter there’s a good chance it’s come from a home that’s unfit for it – and who knows what kind of life that pet lived – abused/neglected/etc. and the shelter doesn’t want to see them come back because of a bad situation

It’s not fun stuff to think about, and you have a bunny who you obviously love and care about, so I’m not saying they shouldn’t adopt to you, but I’m saying that in general they are careful for the special cases of people who aren’t really planning to give them the beautiful life they explain when trying to adopt

I wish you all the best in trying to get another bun in the future – maybe really think about the situation with the dog and decide what you want more – two bunnies and a litter of puppies is a lot of commitment but 2 bunnies I think is very manageable

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Adopting a Bun Dealing With Choosy Shelters Plus General Advice/Experiences