Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Adding a second rabbit to the mix affects

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • new to this
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hi so I had a question regarding my rabbit and adding a second to the mix. My rabbit and I have a strong bond but I don’t want him to be lonely while I’m gone during the day. Would getting a second rabbit to keep him company affect his bond toward me. For example would he prefer the new rabbits company too mine?

• Asriel and Bombur
        Participant
        1104 posts Send Private Message

In short, yes. Because he’d have a bunny to interact with. It wouldn’t mean he’d forget all about you and never ask for attention. Just in general though he’d be more content and happy because of having a companion. You’d still have a few months from whenever you’d get a new bun. One month to settle, one month to prebond, and then you begin bonding sessions. I’ve noticed when my boys are together sometimes they’ll both seek me out for attention and I get extra love from them

• Doodler
          Participant
          337 posts Send Private Message

Hi there!  I also struggled with this same decision so I totally understand what you are going through.  My buck and I had a strong bond and I didn’t want it to change.   I decided it was worth getting a friend for him and I am happy with my decision.

I know bunnies can be happy as singles but I agree that they tend to be even happier with a friend.  I decided that I needed to consider his happiness more than my own.  He has now been happily bonded for over a month and I can tell you that seeing him snuggling with his bunny friend makes me so happy.  I don’t think there is anything much cuter than snuggling bunnies. 

Our relationship has changed a little bit.  He’s not as snuggly and doesn’t give me nearly as many kisses but that small trade off is so worth it.  Honestly those are the only things with our relationship that has changed.   We still have a fantastic relationship and he still has a great personality.

The one and only thing that I wish I could change is his slight change in litter box habits.  My buck used to be virtually perfect with his litter box with maybe only 3 or so poops outside of his box a day at the most.  Now between the two there are more pills, which is not something I have been used to so it’s kind of annoying, but not a big deal at all.  I knew this was a risk I was taking.  My doe is the main culprit anyway.

I have to share that while I was typing this my buck just came up on the back of my chair and was asking for pets and gave kisses.  I think our relationship is just fine .

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Adding a second rabbit to the mix affects