Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR acting out, dumping litter box

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunny004
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I’m new to here and saw there were plenty of experienced rabbit owners that I could learn from.

Here’s some background: I got my bunny a 1.5 years ago from a family with kids that planned to put her in the wild.  She was really mean and shy at first. Now, she’s loving but full of spunky attitude! I love it, but it causes her to act out.

The other day I had my boyfriend(who she loves!) bunny sit. In one day, she forgot her litter training and dumped the litter box and kicked it around. Since, I rearranged my bedroom (where her cage is), which I know she doesn’ t like change… now, she’s dumping the box again… kicking it all around. She isn’t fixed ((too expensive for my budget   )) so that may be some of it. I realize some of it may just be the change… how can I help her cope and keep the messes to a minimum?

• Hedi
        Participant
        969 posts Send Private Message

Welcome!

Is there any way you can put a second litter box back in the area where her litter box originally was before you moved everything around?

Having bunnies fixed can be expensive. Where do you live? Many people on here know where you can get it done cheaper than most vets.

My girls were kinda litter box trained before they were fixed but now that they are spayed their litter box habits are impeccable! Their bedroom is on the second floor and they have full run of the house. They never leave any poos (or pee) anywhere except their litter boxes. If they play downstairs they go upstairs to potty and get a drink then come back down again. You will be amazed how well a buns temperment and litter box habits change after they get fixed.

• x liddo bunny x
          Participant
          314 posts Send Private Message

do you live in southern cali? this may help if you do

https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/forumid/2/postid/5803/view/topic/Default.aspx

yea, ive learned to always put their litterbox in the same spot. what type of litterbox do you have? have you tried a square basen one? they are harder to tip over because if you put a good amount of litter it gets too heavy to tip over and it is wider too. =)

• bunny004
            Participant

thank you so much! I live in Indianapolis… do you know anywhere near here that will spay a rabbit for cheap? My parents are near Louisville, KY, so I would be willing to go there too.

My rabbit has a triangle litter box, because she just has the standard metal cage (like a big dog). I noticed the neat 3 story ones in pix on here… where can i get something like that?

I’m not sure if another litter box will really fit in there with her, so i will just put it back in the other corner (i was wanting it next to the wall b/c when she jumps out sometimes a mess goes too)

but she dumped it again today, so time to clean up and hopefully putting it back will help until I can get something bigger! thanks so much!!!

• poopy
              Participant
              684 posts Send Private Message

1) Welcome to binkbunny!
                2) Get the rabbit fixed!!!!!!!! This is absolutely necessary for good potty-training. A $100-200 investment is absolutely worth the potty training and health benefits. http://rabbit.org/vets/vets.html Here is a list of vets. You can also search for local rabbit rescues and contact them- they would have information about low-cost spay/neuter clinics.
                3) Take a trip down to Walmart or Target and get a covered cat litter box.

• x liddo bunny x
                Participant

either that or if you go to the 99 cent store they should have buckets that should be about 4 inches tall and i think big enough for 2 buns to fit (thats what i use) i have a cage as well and i guess it is pretty small but that bucket fits so thats where i put my hay as well so it gets less messy. =P i will get a pic of my bucket for you but i got mine at the 99 ranch market (any asian supermarket) for $1.99. i also have a triange one but it tips over easily so if you get one like the one i said, it should help. do you have a pic of your cage we can see?

i just took my buns to the vet and i had to pay $75 for 2 so it came to about $ 150. if that helps. there are others on here that paied close to $300 per bun. if you have a problem with the funds, do what i did, start a savings bank. how old are you? if you are still young how about asking parents or asking them for a loan? spaying her will also make her less moody as well. ive heard nothing but good news from spaying. oh, to add, it also puts a couple years onto ur bunnies life span. if not spayed, she can get cancer.

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

I understand about the lack of funds…I’m a grad student (at least for now–you can check out my other posts). 

Trigger, our mini-rex therapy bun, hated his litterbox.  He had a corner box and a small mammal size box.  He often chewed the box or tipped it over.  I got him a dollar store dishpan.  Its about 4-5 inches deep and when filled w/ litter (like 2 &quot he can’t turn it over.

Good Luck!  I too look forward to getting all our buns fixed so we can have great litterbox skills. 

STILL LOOKING FOR LOW COST SPAY/NEUTER IN PHILLY AREA!  House Bunny Soceity (PA) never answers the phone or emails.

Thanks

• x liddo bunny x
                    Participant

skunklionshow – i think at this point if they still dont return ur phone call, i suggest you do ao maps search on yahoo.

http://maps.yahoo.com/

type in your city and state on the first opening where you put ur 1st address and then go down to the search and type animal hospital.

view the verious ones in your area and start calling them asking:

1. do you do spay/neutering for bunnies
                      2. how long have you been doing it.
                      3. how many bunnies do you do per week? (more than 7 a week i think is good. the place i went only did surgeries 2 days a week but do atleast 8 a week.)
                      4. what do you do during the operations
                      5. how much do you charge and if there are any complications do you charge extra?
                      6. when would i drop them off and when would you allow me to pick them up (look for places that allow you to pick up same day)

try not to ask questions that go along the lines of "do people like you." basically things that you know is a perfect chance to lie to you. =) remember to record while you ask questions. thats what i had to do. many say that they need to see your bun first to give them a physical before they can give you an estimate. or they cant give you one over the phone…. usually places like those have verious prices based on the client…. dont always think that they will not charge you much cuz many times they give you a price and it will still be high and you are also stuck with a vet bill for a physical. i encountered many of those. they are knowledegeable but they changed outragious prices. i managed to convice the nurse to tell me, many places the nurse doesnt know and make u directly speak to the doctor. but it is up to you. if you are looking for a low cost one, many will usually tell you the price. go meet with the doctor without ur bun if you want to feel assured. see if the place looks like they are nice. if the nurses are experienced….. or if they are new. places may be old but employees come and go. hope i was good help. =) wish i can help you right now but i just got my bunnies spayed yesterday so i am pretty busy with them right now trying to get them to eat. so good luck. i may beable to help you when my bunnies feel better. =) but good luck.

bunny004 – 
                      skunklionshow seemed to have bought one at the 99 cent store as well. it sounds like the ones i am talking about and the one i have. since she says they have them them y dont you try them out? and for the litter try "Yesterday’s news" from Purina. it is compressed newspaper that doesnt stain your bun’s feet. it is definately the greatest. it is the best odor locking ive ever seen. ive left the litter box for my buns for 2 days and it didnt smell. i tried the pebbles as well but that had to be changed twice a day. as for "Yesterday;s news" you can tell which pellets are wet with pee. they expand. what i do is i use chopsticks or a spoon the scoop up the bad ones and leave the good ones becuase it is a waste to just trow them out. but if a majority of them are dirty, more than 4/5 then just trow it all out and put in some new. and about once a week you have to rinse out the basen. and even when you do that if you smell it all it will smell like is hay and news paper. you dont really smell the poo or the pee. =) i sound like a spokes person dont i? =P if you ask binky bunny she will agree with me that yesterday;s news is great as well. she was the one that told me about it. =P i think they sell it at petco and pet smart as well. call them for the prices. for me i found pet co to be cheaper. if you go to their website you can also find a coupon for $1.50 0ff. may not be much but better than nothing. i think u can use it over and over again too. you just have to print out a new one each time. ill tell you if it works when i have to get more. =)

http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/GetPage.aspx?D=375354

• Hedi
                      Participant
                      969 posts Send Private Message

Neither of my girls did well with those corner boxes. THey are kinda small and they were always moving them out of the way and would poo/pee in the spot they moved them from. I just use big cat litter boxes from the Dollar General but if they are tipping them then a covered one would be best as suggested

I stopped buying any type of litter. I just line each litter box with newspaper and cover with hay. Every night I throw all away and start over. Keeps everything clean and helps from any stink. They also gives you the opportunity to inspect the poos and make sure they are peeing and pooing ok.

Plus, if you get the newspaper or have relatives that get the newspaper that could save them for you that will save you $ as well. My dad reads a few newspaper daily and he keeps a stack for me at his house.

OH, and if no one has mentioned it yet a mixture of white vinegar and water makes the BEST cleaning solution for cages and litterboxes.

{SKUNKLION-PA VETS:Use this link: http://houserabbit.usersource.com/vetlist.html which has a list of the PA vets experienced with rabbits per the rabbit house society.}

Hope this helps! Many people have their own ways of doing things so you have to figure out what works best for you and your bun.

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome bunny004!   Wow, it amazes how many people will put their bunny ‘out into the wild" as if it’s some wild animal.   Through breeding, rabbits have been domesticated and they are not as fast and as wild savvy anymore.  I am soooo happy to hear that you stopped that from happening and took her in. 

Since she acts out with physically when she’s anxious, it might be a good idea to offer new "explore" type toys when you know there is going to be change to help work off her anxious energy.  Large Cardboard Tubes (like the ones you can find at home depot for pouring concrete $8, brown paper grocery bags, cardboard boxes etc.  and then put them near her cage.  If someone is bunny sitting, does she have freedom to be out of her cage.  If not, and she’s missing out on getting enough exercise, she might be acting out trying to get out her pent up energy.  IF that is the case, then get an x-pen and attach it to the pen, and put her toys, boxes and such in there.  That way she still can have exercise, but it’s limited so she doesn’t get into trouble without anyone there.

Regarding her being spayed.  The other thing that hasn’t been mentioned so far is that  nonspayed females have a high risk of cancer in their reproductive organs.   Do you know the estimated age of your bunny?  If your bunny is over 2 years old, spaying may be more expensive because they do have to do blood work first.   And I don’t think many will spay her if she over 5 years. old.

It’s a good idea to start a saving for her anyway, even if you don’t get her spayed, because you may want to prepare for any future vet visit.   Vets are just plain expensive when you’re not prepared, and if you ever have to deal with an emergency,  you certainly wouldn’t want to feel like you have to wait and hope things get better because you’re not financially able to handle the possible vet visit.  

I have pet insurance http://www.petinsurance.com, and it has saved me over a thousand dollars over the years.  

It does not cover any parasitic stuff though like fleas, mites etc.  But gi stasis is a common problem which can be a financial strain when not prepared, and the insurance covered that (70%)

• bunny004
                          Participant

you all are awesome!! i wanted to wait it out before claiming victory, but it worked! i have a rectangular box that is working great! she fits much better in it… she’s a pretty big girl for the corner one. since that’s taking up less time, i’m playing with her more around the house, so that leads to a happier bunny! she is much better behaved. i wish i found this site sooner! thanks everyone for your help!

• osprey
                            Participant
                            2065 posts Send Private Message

The House Rabbit Society has a chapter in Indianappolis.  You can get their contact information here: http://www.indianahrs.org/

I’ll bet they can hook you up with a good local vet.

• x liddo bunny x
                              Participant

oh, as for the 3 story cages, you can find the suppies at walmart. when i bought them i think they were on sale for $14.99 and there is a no charge for shipping if you pick it up at the store. yes, you have to make it yourself though but they kewl part is u can be creative and make it to best suite ur bunny. =)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4433075 (pink)
                                http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4433076 (purple)
                                http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5005199 (Black)
                                http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5005200 (white)

the sucky part is only the purple and pink ones are on sale. then u need wooden poles for support and Zip ties to keep everything secure. =) i think there are links at the bottom of the kewl habitats that show you how to put one together. =)

good luck. i am still making mine, havent had much time lately with school.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR acting out, dumping litter box