Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Acidophillus daily?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hedi
      Participant
      969 posts Send Private Message

Carrera is actually now about 6 years old and she seems to out of all the others have a more sensitive stomach. She is much more sensitive to gas producing greens so I have to keep a more watchful eye on her foods. I am constantly watching her for an upset stomach. I would say in the last few years she has had about 6 stasis scares that ended up just being gas. Gas-X relieved her pain and she was completely fine after she took it.

I know many people keep Acidophillus so I was wondering- can you give it daily? I did see one website saying to put it in their water daily to help w/ digestion.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

I’ve no idea -sorry! But Im really interested in the answer!

• bunnytowne
          Participant
          7537 posts Send Private Message

As far as I know acidopholous for buns really doesn’t; do a whole lot.  Their bacteria are different and very delicate balance. Hopefully someone will know more.   I was waiting for someone else who knows more to reply.    You may receive a different answer. 

There was a post some time ago about this and as I recall that is what was said.  You can do a search for it.  On the right side in the green bar is a Search thing. HIt that and take a peek.  I am too lazy this morning to do it. 

Later on I can. After I have my lunch at the clubhouse.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

i am def interested in hearing an answer…

• KatnipCrzy
              Participant
              2981 posts Send Private Message

I am curious to hear the answer too.  I did use acidophillus (spelling) caplets on some wild bunnies I was rehabbing- seemed to make no difference at all.

Cotton had diah after her spay- I assume from her upset in eating habits- I gave her Benebac and that seemed to help- plus she liked it which was a bonus.  She ate if off the end of the syringe.

If you decide to trial the acidophillus make sure that you are not giving it in anything sugary like juice as that will most likely negate the effects.  Have you tried cutting out all sugary treats and seeing if that helps?

the acidophillus capules that I used for the wild bunnies were a pain- I had to divide a capsule, capsules needed to be refrig after opening bottle.  But at least I could sneak it in their formula.  Chewable tablets aren’t suitable as they have added sugar.

• Hedi
                Participant
                969 posts Send Private Message

I found the answer to my own question:

Lactobacillus/Acidophilus (Yogurt)
                  Lactobacillus or Acidophilus (Yogurt) is often recommended in some texts for the diet of the rabbit, but although it is not harmful, it is not necessary. The touted benefit is that the live bacteria in the yogurt will replace bacteria that may be killed in the intestinal tract of the rabbit by disease or drugs. Lactobacillus is NOT a significant normal part of the rabbit intestinal flora and in addition it will be killed in the stomach before it even reaches the intestine due to the fact that the stomach pH is about 1-2. Therefore, it makes no sense to give this product. The nutrition that may be gained by feeding a dairy product (which contains animal protein, which rabbits don’t really need) could be better provided by a plant source such as a dark green leafy vegetable.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Hedi, I was going to chime in with what you already found. If anything, it makes a nice treat in flavored tablet form.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Acidophillus daily?