Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A About bunnies with misaligned teeth…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • kralspace
      Participant
      2663 posts Send Private Message

My adopted foster, Toby, has terribly misaligned teeth, we go to the vet every few weeks for a clip. A few days ago I noticed his coat had a funny spot, like ‘poofy’ hair. I checked for a wound and the skin is smooth, but everyday the poofiness spread, he was looking kinda like he was quilted, but the skin was fine underneath.

After reading about everyone’s bunnies molting and shedding right now, can it be that he’s just not able to groom properly? I caught him last night, THAT’s like chasing a mosquito, and worked over a spot with my fingers and the hair comes out pretty easily. Brushing doesn’t remove any, but plucking with the fingers like I’ve heard here works.

Toby is very thorough about grooming the lovely Pringles, but that hussy doesn’t return the favor. The other male, Daisy, has proved to be very fond of yanking Toby’s hair out by the roots, but not in a very loving way.

If that’s what’s going on, I guess I’m trading the ‘he can’t chew and destroy stuff’ perk for a ‘plucking spell’ everynight. Which is cool, he seemed to like it after he calmed down and realized I wasn’t going to actually eat him for dinner. Another perk is he can’t bite!

This is the only photo I have of Toby, when you pick him up he kinda falls apart trying to hide. that white spot is his tooth hanging out.

110167258471.jpg

• PocketFaeries
        Participant
        81 posts Send Private Message

I am sorry that I can’t offer any experience based advice on how to handle the tooth and grooming issues, but I have got to just say that I LOVE that cute photo!  Too, too cute!  I sure hope it all works out, and I’m sure someone far more knowledgeable on this than I will be along soon to help you.   In the meantime, hugs to you and your bun!

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I don’t find that my rabbits can really groom enough on their own to help control molting, they always needs some plucking from me to help pull out the extra fur. I think too that some rabbits just moult more than others. Toby sure is cute :~)

• MsBinky
            Participant
            62 posts Send Private Message

Wow that is some serious malocclusion. Has the vet not mentionned removing the incisors? Sounds to me like he is moulting… Some shed much more than others so it can be that. Where is the spot located?

Hope it all works out with the malocclusion!

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

I think the plucking is a good idea, since you don’t want him (or even Daisy) to ingest too much of that fur. I’m so glad that you’re taking such good care of Tobey and getting his teeth cared for often. Maybe the plucking will become a nightly ritual and even help him be less frightened of you.

• kralspace
                Participant
                2663 posts Send Private Message

I think all you guys are right, we’ll just keep on plucking while watching tv at night. I was being sarcastic about Daisy yanking his hair out, he lives for the moments that Toby wanders into his condo so he can kick his furry butt out. I think somedays Toby might wander too close to the condo walls because I’ll find little tufts if his hair there also.

He’s to go to the vet this week if I can con him into the carrier. I got it out Sunday night and all the bunnies look at it like the monster in a scary movie….”THE CARRIER IS HERE, WHO HAS IT COME FOR……….IT COMES FOR YOU!!!” and then they all disappear for hours.

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

ooo nooooo not the dreaded carrier!!! apparently mom’s decidedly to put out the really terrifying halloween decorations early!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A About bunnies with misaligned teeth…