Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Abbie is depressed

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • NewBunnyOwner123
      Participant
      1930 posts Send Private Message

So I gave Bear to the other family who ADORE this dog. And I know I made the right decision. Her husband just finished his last treatment of radiation yesterday. (Bear has been on her husband like white on rice) And her son has Aspergers and the son is already showing signs of compassion since getting Bear. He usually isn’t the one to want to brag and love his dog but with Bear, he was bragging to all his classmates and to his teachers. Her son LOVES Bear and Bear is helping this family so much. THey were even thinking about enrolling him into a Paws for cause program at helping disabled children or taking him to  nursing homes and such. I went to visit them the other day to see how things were going and you could just tell just how much they love Bear.

Anyhoo, Abbie, my other dog, isn’t doing so well with this sudden change She is normally very active and always wants to play and eat. Well, she has been just laying on the floor for the past two days next to the back door. She doesn’t want to play with her toys and when I ask if she wants to go outside she doesn’t seem the least bit interested to go on her walk. She has only finished about 1/2 cup of food in the past 3 days. She normally eats 1/2 cup every day. 

Abbie has NEVER been an only dog her 4 years of life. All my roommates have had a dog and so she has ALWAYS had a dog around growing up. How long do you think it will take for her to come around? Sunday marks the one week mark since Bear has went to his new family. But Abbie only just recently realized that Bear really isn’t coming back. 

The family said we can bring Abbie to visit ANYTIME we wanted. But I don’t want to keep confusing her. Not to mention when we went to go visit a couple of days ago Bear thought we were just picking him up from the babysitters house. He thought he was getting to come home and he looked so sad watching us pull out of the drive way. I was wanting to wait a good month before making another visit so both dogs KNOW where they belong and to not confuse Bear. I want Bear to know that this family, is his. He needs to take care of them. This family NEEDS Bear. 

How long do you think I should wait before allowing our dogs a play date? Bear’s new parents were wanting to take the dogs to the park together but I told her we should wait so Bear won’t keep thinking we are just coming to pick him up. Do you think it will be ok to allow Abbie to continue seeing Bear in the future? Or do you think that each time will throw her into a depression? I really want her to have playdates because she really does need that interaction with a dog she knows and you should see her when she greets Bear. She was the happiest dog when she saw bear again. Just crying and jumping up trying to lick his face. 

I KNOW I made the right decision for Bear. There isn’t a doubt in my mind that Bear is incredibly happy and spoiled with that family. But now I don’t think I made the right decision for Abbie I am so heartbroken watching her so sad, not playing like she normaly does :/ It’s weird because her and Bear NEVER actually interacted together. THey never cuddled up or played with one another. They just co existed in the same room. I didn’t think she would take it this hard! 

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

I’ve heard stories of rabbits that seem to know their roommate is gone, even if they weren’t bonded. If they were housed in the same room together, their presence still brought comfort and reassurance to each other. I have never had more than one dog at a time, but I imagine it can be much the same way for them. Just because they didn’t appear to be the best of buddies doesn’t mean they don’t rely on each other for things. I’m sure Abbie liked having another body there, even if they didn’t cuddle or sleep together. It could take her some time to get over it. I’m sure she will eventually come around though. I do like the idea of allowing them to have play dates. Perhaps they both just need more time apart and then you can start letting them visit. You would think after a few visits, they would catch on as to who belongs where now.

Did you talk to Bear when you left him? Sometimes I think they understand more than we think they do. You could tell him that this is his family now and he needs to take care of them.

• NewBunnyOwner123
          Participant

When we went over there a couple days ago it was to “make it official” and say our goodbyes and such. But only AFTER that last visit did Abbie go into a depression. She didn’t get sad while the family was just “babysitting” Bear for the 4 days we went camping. She didn’t get sad at all. It’s like she KNEW we were literately giving him away the day we went over there to visit Bear again. Maybe she fed off our energy or something, I’m not sure. We were going to hold off going over there until the end of June. So that would give the family a month to cement their bond with Bear.

When we left we gave Bear a hug and told him that this was his family now and to take care of them. He watched us drive off from the glass door. And while he was watching us drive off I could tell he was probably whining because the wife went over to him and was hugging him patting his side to try and comfort him.

• FrankieFlash
            Participant
            1710 posts Send Private Message

Our eldest dog now, Neela got depressed after her companion Ginger passed away. It wasn’t until we got her a new friend, Lucy, and they bonded that she returned to normal. And there was months in between these events. I don’t really have advice besides Abbie probably needs another dog companion if that’s what she’s used to. Since Neela grew up with a dog friend she was the same way. They form bonds just like rabbits- just less kissing.

• NewBunnyOwner123
              Participant

Yeah my husband stated today that we should start at least thinking about adopting a dog around the same age and size as Abbie. She is still a little off. She just doesn’t seem like herself anymore. She played a little bit today but something is just off with her. She has changed. She will have to wait until the end of July because we have a lot going on right now until then. Hopefully she can handle. I just feel guilty because we just got rid of our dog and only to turn around and get another one.

• LBJ10
                16908 posts Send Private Message

If your husband is open to getting a smaller Abbie-sized dog to be her companion, then I think that is a great idea. Maybe the pair could then visit Bear together later on down the line. And don’t think of it as “getting rid” of one dog and getting another. You were just trying to do what is right for Bear. If he truly is happy there, then you know you did the right thing. Just because he didn’t fit in (literally) at your house, doesn’t mean another dog won’t.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Abbie is depressed