Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Abandoned bunny!! HELP!!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sarah!!101
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

hello!! I recently found an abandoned baby bunny outside. I read online that we should have left it alone but my mom was worried so we took it in. The thing is we don’t know what to do with it?? Should we take it to the vet or something? What should we feed it? And more importantly!!! Can we keep it as a pet? 

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Is it a wild bunny or domestic?

Here is an article that should have some useful info. What to do depends a lot on how old it is and whether it’s wild or not.

Caring for Newborn Baby Rabbits

If it is wild, it cannot be kept as a pet. It’s illegal in many places, and importantly wild rabbits often die from the stress when kept in a home environment.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
          16899 posts Send Private Message

Yes, what kind of bunny is it and how old?

As Dana said, wild cottontails do not do well in captivity. Very few that are hand-reared make it to adulthood, even with experienced rehabbers. If it has fur and its eyes are open, then it could just be a young bunny leaving the nest. You should return it to where you found it. If it is a newborn, then you should contact a rehabber for advice. Either way, it is illegal in many states to possess wild animals.

If this is a domestic bunny, then it is a different story. They do not survive well in the wild and should be rescued. In this scenario, you would contact an animal shelter for assistance.

• Sarah!!101
              Participant

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately it passed away an hour ago 😞

• Sarah!!101
                Participant

You are most definitely right! My parents should have kept it where it was but they decided to take it in because they thought it wouldn’t survive on it’s own.. but unfortunately it died an hour ago 😞

• DanaNM
                8930 posts Send Private Message

Aww I’m sorry. 🙁

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
                  16899 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry. They are very fragile. He/she could have been suffering from shock.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Abandoned bunny!! HELP!!!