Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A A new cage to buy or not to buy

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnytowne
      Participant
      7537 posts Send Private Message

I have been eyeing this cage at the pet store for a while now. Every now n then I still go in well….several times a month…. and browse and ponder it.  This cage has wheels and is high off the ground. Cotton is  used to his loooooong floor level cage. He likes to hop on top so I put hiim a couple of towels to get comfy. And so he doesnt’ hurt himself between the bars.

This cage I have my eye on he would really have to jump to make it up there inside of it. He can jump good tho. It has a shelf in there I just know he would love to lie down on it and lounge around. It is wider than his by about 4 inches and shorter in length about 4 inches. I like it cause of the wheels. 

However he won’t be able to jump on the top of it unless he goes on the couch first. And to make sure he doesn’t hurt or break a leg I would have to put a box for him to jump down to to get to the floor or in the cage.

I just don’t know. What started this thought process is Ruby’s cage. It is a wabbitat cage. The bottom looks like it is corroding and I don’t like that. It is only 1 year old too. It isn’t real bad just yet. I was thinking of getting  a new one for Cotton and giving Ruby his house.

Or I could get one with the plastic bottoms for Cotton and find someway to put him a shelf in there. It would still be on the floor so he could have easy access to the inside and the top. Ahhh a plastic bottomed one sounds better. If I want wheels under it I can get the 4 wheel thingy from the Harbour Freights store. OH yeah hubby has one in his truck. I could use that.

I have his house by my couch. I move it back n forth as I lie down I move it to give my legs room to lie down and get up.  When I am just lying there I pull it closer to my arms so I can reach him for a petting. I move it closer to my wall to keep us from stubbin our toes on it by the way.

I can see this new  high in the air one banging my knee on it trying to get to the bedroom Ahaaa. And thats gona be the knee that is getting the surgery. well…… I think I am going to hold off on this new cage business. For a while. Ponder it some more and get him the plastic bottomed one. Yes that one sounds best.

Ruby I have 2 litterboxes in there. I don’t want to get her a plastic bottomed one yet. She still pees on the bottom instead of always in the litterbox.

maybe after her little girl surgery I will get her a plastic bottomed one too.

What do y’all think?  INput input input PLEASE

• Veronica Vigilant
        Participant
        186 posts Send Private Message

I say go with the one that is you think is best for both YOU and Cotton… if you think this new one would be easier for you because of the wheels then get it and adapt it so he can get in easy still… I can’t quite tell from your description, but I’m sure you know what kind of flooring is best for the buns (ex. no metal wires unless they have a soft place to rest their feet) so that is of course a factor too. Do you have pics of the different options?? That would probably make it easier for everyone to give you an opinion…

• bunnytowne
          Participant

[script removed]Ware Manufacturing Deluxe XL Home Sweet Home Cage - PetSmartI found this one on  Petsmart. It is close to the ground for Cotton to have easy access and a shelf for him too.  Pet store by my house doesn’t have this one. Theirs are higher up in the air than this one. Cool huh? Looks neat. And has a plastic bottom for him too.

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

I think that is way overpriced in my opinion.

I know Cotton is tiny but that just seems like no room to me.

I would keep looking if it were me.

• bunnytowne
              Participant

it is 50.00 and bigger than it looks on picture here. I measured agianst cottons cage and got wider and taller out of it. His cage is pretty long but rectangular not very wide.  this one is 41  L x 18 W x 21H     It is a ncie size. 

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

I think you might be better off with the expens, that way they are pretty easy to move around, and also you can adjust them depending on how much space you need. Also, then Cotton wouldn’t have to jump to get in and out!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A A new cage to buy or not to buy