Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A a friend for lullabelle

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • xnovalentine
      Participant
      309 posts Send Private Message

Lullabelle is pretty young, and I am concerned about her being alone alot of the time and being cooped up in her cage all day. I do plan to let her have free run – after litter training has control obviously. But I was wondering if she will be alright without another rabbit friend? She seem’s happy and definently loves being queen bunny of the house, but I don’t want her to get lonely. The boyfriend already shot down the idea of another rabbit – but that doesn’t mean anything to me. So what do you guys think? Obviosuly another rabbit would be ideal for her, but do you think she’ll be okay without one for awhile?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

of course, i’m no expert… but i think rabbits can be fine without another rabbit as long as they get plenty of attention from their people.  i am a stay at home mom primarily… i only work 8 hours on saturdays.  so right now Meadow has continuous access to me and to Michael.  i do start college classes next fall… so i may decide to bond Meadow over the summer to make it an easier transition for her. 

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

Hiya!
            I had never considered getting another rabbit as one was soo much work and I thought she was fine! Of course my Kokanee was fine and had loads of attention, love and time out. This is probably why she has such a BIG personality with lots of strop!
            However, when my boyfriend FINALLY caved and said I could have a second rabbit, the two bonded in about four seconds (this isn’t typical though) and I *swear* Kokanee was thanking me for her new bunny girlfriend! She would be off playing or cuddling and run over to me and give me kisses and look me strait in the eye. It was either thanking me or reassuring me that she still loved me even though she had a NEW girlfriend hehe.

So…I would recommend bonding her, but she definitely would be fine unbonded for some time, especially if she is getting lots of attention!

• MarkBun
            Participant
            2842 posts Send Private Message

I’m also no expert but my Maryann has been a lone bunbun for 5 years now. She’s cooped up in the cage more often than being out of it but when she is out, she does all the binkies in the world. Also, she gets a few more treats by playing upon my guilt factor (she’s learned how to look pitiful to get her goodies – and yes, it IS an act). I have been contemplating a second bunny too but my apartment really doesn’t have the room for anymore cages, and the work I do at home leaves too much exposed which isn’t bunny safe.

But, like I said, she seems to be a very happy loner bunny.

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

I think most rabbits are happier when they’re part of a bonded pair – but will agree there are lots of happy solo bunnies too.
                As long as you’re able to give her lots of attention and love she should be ok on her own. Although since it sounds like she is on her own much of the day, so she might really enjoy having a bunny friend.

• Firsttimer
                Participant
                144 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I am thinking along exactly the same lines. I work full time and I wonder if my Pepper could do with some company. I just don’t know if I could cope with a second rabbit or if it wouldn’t make too much difference. pepper can be hard work as she is still exploring and destroying.  I have just seen a rabbit the same age as her that is in a bunny home and I am torn.  Also my husband and i plan to start a family and I need to take that into account.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Lorna, there would definately be a lot of things to consider, especially if you plan to start a family. On the one hand Pepper would have someone to keep company with and would not feel so "left out" when the baby comes but you will need to cope with bonding them and it may not happen right away (who knows how far into pregnancy you would be for them to finally bond) and bending over cleaning etc. the rabbits would be a task. Especially when you need to intervene and you have a little one to take care of.  My thinking is that you just might want to wait, although I can only speak from what I know others have experienced regarding this.  It was hard for them to walk down rabbits, clean and separate them if they fought. I think some insight from anyone out there who has been through it would help too. Anyone?

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

xnovalentine – I think Lullabelle is fine by herself and getting a new friend is a nice thing for her but you have to think about all the things that go into that. I would not worry if I were you as she is in a fabulous home and she will get lots of attention from you when you are home. I think right now since this is your first rabbit (if I remember correctly) just enjoy Lullabelle by herself for now and learn what you can about her.

Lorna – I totally agree with ScarletRose on this. I don’t have a child but I imagine starting a new family and trying to bond a bunny would be extremely overwhelming. Having a little one will be a huge lifestyle change in itself – even being pregnant will be a total change for you. I just think for you trying to do both would be extremely stressful and that will affect Pepper in a negative way which you do not want.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A a friend for lullabelle