Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A 4th of July Freak-out?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • CaitlinS
      Participant
      13 posts Send Private Message

Hey all,

Happy Fourth of July for Americans! Probably won’t be so happy for bunnies, though. Right now Kale is in my bedroom with the radio blasting and the fan on full power, so hopefully that will help drown out the sounds of fireworks. But in case some idiot next-door neighbor (and believe me, I’ve got loads of em) starts setting off firecrackers, I was wondering: what is worse for bunnies: heat, or loud noises? Right now my bedroom window is open because the second floor of my house is HOT 24-7, but would it be safer for Kale’s nervous system to have the window closed so the sounds aren’t so loud?

Thanks,

Caitlin and Kale

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

Dog’s don’t care about fireworks unless they’ve had a scare with a loud noise before…So I’d think perhaps the bunnies would be the same way. But…*Fingers crossed*!!

• kralspace
          Participant
          2663 posts Send Private Message

well, it was an interesting night. Despite the in-town firework ban, a few of the neighbors were out in the street with some wild ones. Luckily not the really loud firecrackers but the whirly, screaming, flashing color ones that had the rabbits thumping like mad.

the funny part was that the piggies thought their mother ship had landed…lol. As the colors lit up the blinds, they ran to the front of their condo and squealed, weeped, eaped and heaven knows what else in response to all the squealing noises the fireworks were making. They were definitely having some sort of conversation all night.

Kathy

• bunnytowne
            Participant
            7537 posts Send Private Message

your piggies sound like a funny group.  I heard some not so loud fireworks.  There is usually a ban on them but people let them off anyways. I didnt’ hear any illegal ones last nite. Yeah those are loud.          I didn’t notice any thumping from the girls.  Ruby does get a little upset during thunderstorms and lightening. She sits at the door of the xpen when she hears me coming. So I comfort her.

Oh spar my boxer was terrified of fireworks. She would shake oh dear. poor girl.

Oh  about those illegal fireworks …. My downstairs neighbor is a nut. Every person who has lived above himi he says sounds like bombs going off up their. He drinks a lot. and is hard of hearing.  I ignore him.

Anyway I was contemplating getting some or those real loud illegal fireworks and set 1 off at his bedroom window at 4 a.m.   He wants to hear bombs well there  you go. I can imagine him sticking to the ceiling after that.

• kralspace
              Participant
              2663 posts Send Private Message

BT, the description of what your neighbor might do if YOU set off some fireworks reminded me of that old (ok, old, old old) cartoon of the sneaky mean cat that the puppy would sneak up on and bark and send him to the ceiling…..heheheheh (I AM that old)

Kathy

the piggies are fun to watch. One is normal. one is a lethal, white, blind and deaf, but she has a good life. When I clean the condo, they both popcorn and squeal for half an hour. They play the nornal piggie games, except for the follow-the-leader doesn’t go so well. When the white ones following the brown one, she keeps her nose on her rear and follows wherever Brownie goes. Once they switch and Brownie is the caboose they just kinda stand there for a bit.

I keep the condo pretty clear of stray toys because it freaks the white one out to run into them, but I have a tunnel and a sheepskin ‘tent’ against the wall. Snowflake comes running out of the house in one corner follows the wall to the water, feed and hay then on to the potty corner and thru the tent and the tunnel and back to the house. Some times she’ll make a small circle through the tunnel and the tent over and over, just squealing and popping like crazy….lol

She also has to go in to have her only front tooth clipped, seems like I attract animals with dental problems! But its very heartwarming to see her enjoy her food so much and having a soft place to stretch out like a dog and sleep. I only have litter in the potty corner, the rest is towels and sheepskin blankets.

no, i don’t spoil them at all!
                Kathy

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

It gets CRAZY around here with fireworks. They always go on all night long with everyone doing their backyard stuff. I’m always worried about fires starting.

I was freaked out, as some would really startle the hell out of me, but the bunnies…they couldn’t have cared less.

• babybunsmum
                  Participant
                  3896 posts Send Private Message

my buns also take no notice of fireworks.  the canada day celebrations didn’t phase them… tho the dog was frantic

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

One of my bunnies – Juli – was found running down the street loose on the 4th of July because the fireworks were scaring her, so I feel really bad for her when the fireworks are going off. I think she has forgotten though because it never seems to bother her too much. She does have sorehocks, so I’m sure she was kept in a wire bottomed cage before, so I’m kind of glad the fireworks scared her out of that situation!

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

^^^that gives an all-new meaning to Independence Day! YAY Juli…!

• wendyzski
                        Participant
                        1312 posts Send Private Message

Pepper went ThumpCrazy the morning of the 4th when the local kids started playing with snaps.  I was out most of the day, although I did leave music playing in case it helped.  She really didn’t settle again fully until Saturday evening

• osprey
                          Participant
                          2065 posts Send Private Message

We had very little in the way of fireworks this year, I think because the threat of fires is so great.  Last New Year’s Eve there was a fireworks show at midnight someplace nearby.  We had a foster bunny at the time named Suttarra, and she absolutely freaked out because of the noise.  She was running back and forth in her pen, jumping up on her box and then down again, clearly very scared.  My bunnies were not effected.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A 4th of July Freak-out?