Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE 4 month diet

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Payton
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hello all!

I’ve gotten my second rabbit at 8 weeks old and he is a doll! Though I’ve come across an issue I have not seen before.

I feed unlimited oxbow young pellets and alfalfa hay, and my rabbits poop has been soft and smelly for almost two weeks now. I haven’t had this issue with my previous rabbit, I’m guessing I should start limiting his pellets and that’s what’s causing these nasty poops? I thought unlimited pellets was best, but obviously his stomach is having some issues. How much should I start feeding?

Thank you

!

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

Congratulations on your new bun!

It is very common for very young buns to produce a surplus of soft poopies. If thepoop isnt runny or sticking to his butt and he’s gaining weight like he should, I dont think you need to cut back on pellets in any radical way. You could start mixing up his alfalfa hay with grass hay, so he gets into good hay eating-habits while he’s still young and impressionable.

The soft poop are probably caused by a diet that gives him slightly more protein  than his body is making use of. This can hower change any moment, because young rabbits (and humans and dogs etc) tend to grow in spurts. It’s very difficult not to say impossible to provide a baby bun with the exact right amount of food, no more, no less, which is why free feeding (within reason) is recommended.

Another factor is that a young bunny’s gastrointestinal microbiota (what we used to call gut flora) isnt yet mature ot fully diversified. Especially grass hay will help him develop a sturdy, resilient gut microbiota, but it takes some time.

• prince dorian the bun
          Participant
          743 posts Send Private Message

Totally nothing to add to the diet advice, but had to say look at that baby bunny yawn, he’s just too adorable!

• BunnyLass568
            Participant
            446 posts Send Private Message

I’m no expert but I agree with Bam given the research I did. Sorry not to have to add anything but I gotta say your bunny is so cute! Congrats on getting them!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE 4 month diet