Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE 4.5 Year Old Rabbit Died Suddenly: how to deal with the grief

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bun81917
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I am completely lost and heartbroken. My sweet Bun passed away suddenly yesterday afternoon and I can’t shake the feeling that something went wrong.

Our 4.5 year old bunny, Bun, exhibited symptoms of GI stasis on Sunday night. I had pain and motility meds on hand from a previous episode of stasis so I administered those as directed hoping they would take effect as quickly as they had in the past. She wasn’t doing any better by morning so I rushed her to the emergency vet. They took her back and examined her. The vet told me that upon exam she seemed to be in good health just had a full belly and a little bit of gas. She suggested they administer subcutaneous fluids and take x rays to make sure there was no blockage. There was no blockage and the vet sent me home with Bun and a bunch of medicines (lactulose. upper GI motility med, lower GI motility med, and a pain med). When we got home I gave Bun her meds and within the hour she passed away.

How could this have happened so suddenly?? Bun had survived numerous GI stasis episodes in her past and always was back to normal by the next morning after receiving meds. Is it possible that the vet messed something up? I don’t understand how she could have died so suddenly with nothing else wrong and no underlying conditions. She was a perfectly healthy Bun until 6 PM on Sunday and she was gone by 1 PM on Monday. All I keep thinking is if I would’ve taken her to the emergency vet on Sunday night she would still be with us. This is the first time I ever waited until the next morning, because I was told I could use the meds we have, and now she is gone.

We just want answers. We know they won’t bring back our Bun but nothing makes sense, the lack of an answer as to what happened doesn’t make sense, and she should have lived for so many more years.

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry you lost Bun.

The meds your vet prescribed plus sub q fluids and the examination incl x-rays to make sure there wasn’t a blockage is the correct way to treat stasis. I’m sorry it wasnt successful. It’s sadly not very uncommon, but it’s still so, so sad.

As you know, stasis is a symptom rather than an actual illness. It can be a symptom of a wide range of problems, from something very minor to something really grave. Rabbits hide illness extremely well and once they become symptomatic, they are often very poorly and go downhill quickly.

I dont think anyone can give you any good answers as to why this happened. An autopsy may provide some explanation, but often those too are inconclusive. Not knowing is very hard though.

It’s very difficult to cope with the loss of a rabbit, but it’d be unfair of you to blame yourself. As you said, Bun had had bouts of stasis before, and you had the appropriate meds at home. The vet wouldnt have done anything different at that stage, because there wasn’t a blockage.

Grief needs time, often a lot of time. Bun was deeply loved, and she loved you, and that’s what matters the most.

When you feel up to it you are very welcome to post a few pictures of her here and maybe tell us some fond memories of your time together. Some people are helped by painting or drawing or embroidering a tribute to their lost bun.

We are so many here who have experienced loss of a beloved rabbit. You are among friends here.

Binky free, sweet Bun 💗❤💖

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry for your loss. 🙁

I agree with Bam that the treatment and everything you did sounded correct and there was likely something more serious going on that presented as stasis. I do wonder if she had a congenital issue that was contributing to her having repeated stasis issues in the past but that finally became too much of a problem. An autopsy may provide some answers, but it also may not.

A few years ago I experienced the sudden loss of my 1 yr old bun Moose, who had a history of dental issues. He presented like he was due for dental work, and then crashed before the appointment. The vet was just as shocked as I was and couldn’t find anything in autopsy. So sometimes you just never really know. It’s especially hard with a younger bunny, we all hope our bunnies will live to 16 but we just never know how long we will have with them, even with perfect care.

Again I’m very sorry for your loss. She was a beautiful bunny. <3

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE 4.5 Year Old Rabbit Died Suddenly: how to deal with the grief