Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING 24/7 Bonding with excessive mounting

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • poppy.clyde.thedewlops
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hey there, I apologize if my concern has been addressed in a previous post. I tried looking for a similar situation and could not find something that is exactly like mine, also I may be looking for some reassurance (as any bunny owner does lol). I am currently on day 3 of 24/7 bonding my spayed female, Poppy, and my neutered male, Clyde. We brought Poppy home in December (about 7.5 months ago), she was spayed 2.5 months ago from today, we brought home Clyde 1.5 months ago and he was neutered almost about 2 months ago (was neutered when we got him).

For the past month Poppy and Clyde have been living together separated from metal grids. She is free roam but we set him up in our dining room and swapped their litter trays and even swapped the rabbits in each others living situations. We started doing some bunny dates with them in bath tub, these worked well but we knew we needed to do the 24/7 method as they needed to sort out their dominance issues. Poppy would occasionally lunge/nip at him.

Come to now, day 3 of 24/7 bonding and they are actually doing really well. Grooming each other (more Pop grooming Clyde than the other way, Clyde is dominant), they have been cuddling together, eating and drinking together, no fighting anymore (was a few bunny tornadoes at the start), flopping together all of the time, but now around supper time to morning he is relentlessly mounting her. So far she has been putting up with it, I worry that she won’t for much longer as she’ll run away sometimes and thump. But he just keeps going for it. I will let it on for a bit when I think its safe and then shove him off but he just Keeps going for her. In turn I think this causes her to not groom him as much as she wants/should. Other than this issue they are getting on well. Flopping, sharing food, grooming, cuddling. Everything to me seems to be going perfect except for the constant mounting.

My question is does this sound reasonable at the start of the 24/7 bonding, do you think it’ll resolve itself in a couple more days? I feel like we have done everything we were supposed to when pre-bonding. Just need a bit of advice and a pinch of reassurance. haha thank you so much!

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

My Bun Jovi can be an excessive mounter too. What is the bonding space like? I found it helped to give mine a lot of space during the marathoning sessions, along with some hiding spots for my other bun to escape to (things she could hop up on top of were helpful).

I do think it should resolve in a day or two (or at least calm down to a more reasonable level).

I have also noticed Bun Jovi mounts a lot more when he gets parsley or dandelion in his salad (which are both diuretics), so if you are currently feeding lots of those you could remove them and see if it helps.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING 24/7 Bonding with excessive mounting