Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE 2 week old bunny, what to feed her?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

So I went back to the shop where I got Qir & Qofi and bought a cage for them since their old one was a little cramped for the two of them…. 

And then, I saw this little bunny who was all alone and is being put up on sale (she was probably the last one from their batch). She’s really small and somehow looks like a hamster (her face). So I decided to get her, and then when I asked the store clerk how old she was, he said she was only 2 WEEKS OLD. So I asked him what he feeds them, he said “chicken feed”. Please do correct me if I am wrong but I think 2 week old bunnies should still be with their mother and the milk is the best food they should get.  Even so, I heeded to the clerk’s words, now it is Qir instead who eats the chicken feed when dissolved in water but the other bunny (which I named QQ) wouldn’t eat some whether it’s dissolved in water or no. She has always been sleeping ever since she got here and would always sleep beside Qir or me. I’m quite worried because she hasn’t eaten yet. I can’t possibly give her some veggies, can I?  She’s too young for it  

I feed Qir water spinach, some lettuce, some pellets and I’m still looking for stores where hay is available but to no avail. I live in the southern part of the Philippines which is Davao and I’ve been looking all over the city. Also, as I’ve read somewhere (I forgot where), that a rabbit owner gives 1 cc of Yakult everyday to help with the digestive tract, which Qir enthusiastically drinks. But I would like to have your thoughts on this. I’ve also searched for some hay for sale in Philippines but I couldn’t find any, I was planning on ordering from other countries but I think it’ll be too late because a shipping takes a few working days right?  I really don’t want another rabbit to die so I hope someone could answer meeee 

• Vincent
        Participant
        121 posts Send Private Message

That’s way to young. Could you post pictures? You can generally tell a age by looking at them after a while

I looked it up and they should definitely be drinking moms milk still but this site had a formula to feed them I’d read it

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

The baby should only be drinking this formula for now and at 3 weeks they csn start having some afalfa hay and rabbit pellets (chicken feed is a big no no make sure you get rabbit pellets)

Anyways the formula on the site is

fresh, whole goat milk – 1/2 cup
          KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer by PetAg) – 1/2 cup
          lyophilized (freeze dried) colostrum – contents of 10 capsules, or 1-1.5 Tablespoons
          This is available at most high-quality health food stores, either in bulk powder form, or in capsules. It’s expensive, but will give the babies their best head start.
          heavy cream – 3 cc (a cc is the same as one ml, or milliliter), equal to about 1/2 teaspoon

Mixed till everything’s dissolved and warmed to 105 degrees f

And fed through nursing supple look at site for more details

And don’t forget the photo it’s hard to imagine any bun being sold at 2 weeks

And most grasses work as hay too so if you have some clean un pesticide grass that would work instead of hay probably. Make sure you clean it and they will need a lot

• Vincent
          Participant
          121 posts Send Private Message

Obviously I don’t know your situation but I’m trying to be helpful

• Bam
            16878 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for taking QQ in!

If she’s only two weeks old she should absolutely be with her mother, but since she can’t, you have to feed her. Rabbit’s milk is fat, so goat’s milk is ideal, or kitten milk replacement, + cream, slightly warmed. I’d add the Yakult for healthy bacteria. Since she’s been used to chicken feed (if she ever ate it), I’d give her some of that too, but in very limited amounts. You will have to feed her with a dropper or a syringe if she wont take the food.

Here are some instructions regarding feeding very young buns, from the HRS, I quote:

FEED TWICE A DAY ONLY for healthy babies. It may be easiest to start with a 3 cc/ml syringe or an eyedropper. Feed only with the bunny sitting UPRIGHT, and point syringe down towards bottom or side of mouth, so if too much comes out, the baby does not aspirate. At first, they may only take a few drops at one feeding until they are not stressed and used to this.

2-3 weeks: 7-13 cc/ml each feeding (two feedings). Domestic rabbits’ eyes open at about 10 days of age. Start introducing them to timothy and oat hay, pellets and water (always add fresh greens for wild ones).

The whole article can be found here http://rabbit.org/faq-orphaned-baby-bunnies/ It’s about orphaned bunnies, so there’s lots of info that doesn’t apply to you situation, scroll down to Feeding of True Orphans.

She must eat. She must keep warm, so it’s good if she’s near you and Qir.

You can also try asking at http://www.rabbitsonline.net/, they have a section called The Rabbitry and Showroom, or at http://rabbittalk.com/ where there’s a section called Breeding and Raising Rabbits. You will find more people experienced with baby bunnies there, most of us here have very limited experience with very young bunnies.

• Floppy
              Participant
              84 posts Send Private Message

Where do you live? I would contact the RWAF for advice.

I seriously hope that poor rabbit isn’t 2 weeks old.

• Bam
                16878 posts Send Private Message

I just want to highlight the fact that Quir and Qofi resides in the southern part of the Philippines (Davao).

This means a lot of the stuff we’re used to be able to get with ease in the USA or Europe is unavailable to this member.

• Mikey
                  Participant
                  3186 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for taking the baby in, no matter the age. It needed to be removed from that situation, and needed proper care. Thank you for being the one to try to do that

Vincent put up a good recipe for formula for the kit, but I want to add that you should feed it to the kit after its been cooled a bit. 105F is very hot and can cause burns if you try to feed directly after. You heat it to that, then let it cool before putting it into a dropper or syringe to feed the bun.

Is there a way you can order hay online from somewhere and have it shipped to you? Can you feed some untreated grass from outside?

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

Thank you everyone for replying! Here’s some link addresses of QQ’s pictures:

https://scontent.fmnl4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19244225_1563847917020782_267798032_n.jpg?oh=6a3efb36c7367e81c93441a631215253&oe=5945CB20
                      https://scontent.fmnl4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19239879_1563847713687469_900150637_n.jpg?oh=be7373be29a68a00e412f7a0425d0504&oe=5946A8DA
                      https://scontent.fmnl4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/19206550_1563847687020805_481059751_n.jpg?oh=e0892eec4e371606c6550451726c9035&oe=594709AD

I couldn’t take a clear photo because she keeps on moving around, I think she panics when I try to approach her. Of course, I looked for some pictures in the web for 2 week old rabbits, she’s a bit bigger than a 2-week old but I wouldn’t say that she’s far more older than 4 weeks. I think she’s around 2-3?

I tried looking online, but since it’s Philippines we’re talking about, some online shops do not ship in this country. I came across an online shop on Facebook that is based in the Philippines, however, Martial Law has been implemented here in our area recently because of some insurgencies in the province so they couldn’t ship in this location.

I also came across a Facebook group in which rabbit breeders are discussing about rabbits, they said chicken feed would do fine, as well as vegetables like malunggay that are not fresh because they would diarrhea if it is fresh or if fed with veggies with juices. Right now, I put some chicken feed in their home but she wouldn’t drink water. I tried to give her water in fear that she might get dehydrated by using a syringe but she freaks out at the sight of it.

She moves around for a minute or so when I open their cage but goes back and sleep. Always. I’m worried.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE 2 week old bunny, what to feed her?