Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums BEHAVIOR 2 unaltered unbonded bunnies in the same space?

This topic contains 5sd replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  DanaNM 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Mirpanda
    Participant

Hello! I’m new to the forum and to owning bunnies. I’ve had my Lola since October and she is about 8 months old (Rex/Mini Rex). She isn’t fixed yet but her apt is on March 16th. A couple days ago I brought home our new family member, Bugs (Rex/Lionhead), who is 8 months as well. He isn’t fixed yet, but the humane society will call me when they have him scheduled for his neuter. They are in separate cages but they are placed next to each other. Since I brought Bugs home, I’ve noticed that they seem obsessed with each other. Whenever I let one out, they are all over the others cage. I separate them with a baby gate, but I have let them meet a couple times through the bars. When they meet through the bars, usually they will like tug on each others fur. It doesn’t look aggressive though I’m not really sure. Every time I separate them, they both start thumping. I guess I’m just wondering what that means. Does anyone have an idea of what they are thinking?

Harley&Thumper
    Participant

It does sound like they are nipping through the bars but can’t do any harm to each other. The thumping might be a “good riddance” to the other bunny or they might be mad that the other bunny is gone, it’s hard to tell. There are stories of bunnies mating through cage walls so I would be very careful with the baby gate. Can you put a blanket over the gate so they can’t see each other?

sarahthegemini
    Participant

Fur pulling is not a good sign. They shouldn’t be able to touch one another as they can fight and mate through bars so keep them completely out of reach of each other at all times.

DanaNM

You’d be amazed at how quickly bunnies can mate… so agree that be extra careful that they cannot contact each other through bars or otherwise. Give them a bigger buffer, and maybe put a solid barrier through any gates.

There are for sure stories of bunnies mating through cage bars. Not sure if they are true, but where there’s a will there’s a way!

Mirpanda
    Participant

Okay! Yeah their cages are at least 3 inches apart and the baby gate makes it so they cant reach each other through to bars when I let one out. I just let them meet a couple times through the bars to see how they would react.

DanaNM

I would make the cages a bit further, even up to a foot. And definitely no more meetings!

(PS. I deleted the duplicate posts. Be sure to only hit submit once, even if you don’t see anything happened, to avoid this in the future )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.