Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING 2 newly spayed previously bonded buns now fighting..

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • felmotes
      Participant
      60 posts Send Private Message

I got my buns spayed on Friday morning. I brought them home Saturday morning. On Sunday night.. they started fighting. Specifically one of them. Deedee started chasing around Dora. Dora looked terrified. She was thumping her feet and trying to hide in the corner of the x-pen. I separated them so they could rest and heal comfortably.

Today I switched their pens so they could get used to each other’s smells again. I had them briefly in the same pen.. and Deedee full out attacked Dora. I once again have them fully separated in two pens.

There’s no way I can keep 2 rabbits in separate pens.. have separate play-times, etc. It’s just too much.

Any advice? They’re only 4 days post-op. When is an appropriate time to reintroduce them in neutral territory? And how successful do you think it’ll be? Why are they suddenly fighting like this? Is it hormones or what? The visit to the vet? Stress??

I’m worried. I don’t want to have to rehome someone.

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

It’s possible that it’s all of the above. This happens sometimes, but they should be able to rebond after they’ve healed up in 3-4 weeks. You would just start over with the bonding sessions in neutral territory. Continue to switch them between pens each day. How old are they?

• felmotes
          Participant

They’re only about 6 months. They were littermates. I wanted to get them done as soon as my vet would allow it. Their litterbox habits totally deteriorated, so it was a regular pee/poo fest every day. I look forward to that lessening!

Thanks for the advice. I’ll continue switching pens each day. I’ve been giving them raisins between the x-pen bars right next to each other, so they’re forced to be close. They seem fine like that.. it’s just when they get in the same pen. Go figure.

• Beka27
            Participant

Can you make the pen “feel” different? Different flooring maybe? Or move it to a new location? It does take awhile for hormones to clear out, 1-2 months. And even after that, they are still technically in “adolescence” for the entire first year. Are they on pain meds right now? They may not be feeling well and that could be causing them to lash out.

• felmotes
              Participant

I can move the pen to a new location temporarily (the living room), but it needs to eventually go back into the spare bedroom. The living room just isn’t big enough to have it there permanently.

I was given no pain meds.. but they both seem to be okay now. They’re eating plenty and chewing their toys and stuff. I’m going to wait at least a week before trying them together again.

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

I think it is a good idea to wait a little longer until putting them back together so that they don’t re-open the spay wounds. Have you checked both of of their scars to see if either one opened up the area with the fighting. It is a good idea to continue checking them every day until the area heals.

I have also heard of this happening before, so I think you’ll just need to go through the bonding process again, but since they were together before I’m pretty sure that you will be successful when re-bonding them!

• felmotes
                  Participant

I’ve been checking the scars everyday. They look fine. Dora’s is a little bit pinkish.. Deedee’s looks a lot “better”.. just grey skin with the stitches. But Dora has a pink belly and Deedee’s is grey.. so I don’t know. I’m calling the vet tomorrow just to check. Otherwise, Dora is eating and drinking just fine.. the incision doesn’t look weepy or oozing or anything.

Thanks for the reply! I so do hope re-bonding them is easy. They were adorable together.

• felmotes
                    Participant

UPDATE!

dora and deedee have been playing together nicely for several days now. and i caught them snuggled up together for a nap yesterday during play-time

i think everything is going to be OK…. i’m still keeping them separated until they’re 3 weeks healed. then they’ll be getting a nice gigantic brand new NIC condo! (yet to be built!)

here they are relaxing near each other.

• Sarita
                      Participant
                      18851 posts Send Private Message

Yay, that’s great. What a cute picture, look at those ears.

• Beka27
                        Participant

Aw so cute!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING 2 newly spayed previously bonded buns now fighting..