Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR 15 Week old Netherland Dwarf body moves while breathing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Netherland Dwarf Dad
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

IMG_6131

Hello all, I have a Netherland Dwarf baby bunny (Jax) who just turned 15 weeks old and I’ve had him since he was 9 weeks, from all of the videos I have since I got him his body has always moved as he breaths. His mouth is closed, lips aren’t moving just his little nose going at the same rate as his body moves. I’ve been concerned about it for the past week or so but it’s been a constant since I got him from what I recall. He eats his food regularly same with the alfalfa hay, tends to only eat alittle of the pellets at a time or just eats throughout the night.
        Active bunny flopping ALOT , binkys all the time while out of the cage, running around and explorative but has been on alert recently due to an incident where my cat got into my room and tried to get at him but he’s recovered from that I believe just goes on alert if he hears the door open or goes into his hiding spot if hearing a loud strange noise.

Eats his Veggies as a treat which I use to help work him down if he gets scared too. I’ve attached a video of the breathing I hope it posts (video was taken pretty late as he was kinda tired, after video ends he stretches than flopped over to rest)

Please any information will gratefully be appreciated!

• pinkiemarie
        Participant
        414 posts Send Private Message

How cute! Keep in mind that bunnies can’t breathe through their mouths so it isn’t concerning that his mouth is closed. It looks like he’s behaving pretty normally to me.

His cage does look too small though even if he’s a dwarf. It looks like he’s up on a table so I’m guessing he can’t just get out and play when he wants. Is your house bunny proofed? He needs lots of play time and space to explore and exercise. Bunnies are very inquisitive and get bored easily.

• Netherland Dwarf Dad
          Participant

Thanks for the response! His cage is 3 and a half feet in length but he has my whole room to roam and play around in which is about the size of your average living room. I let him out every morning and night for however long im here but if I leave I put him in.

Unfortunately I’m not able to let him free throughout our house because I’m worried about our family cat (he’s a wild cat and tbh I don’t exactly trust him), the cat has his own room and when he is in there I’m open to letting him run free though. Just have to make sure there isn’t anything he can get into.

Also, so I shouldn’t have anything to worry about with the way his whole body moves while breathing? He’s always acted great but I know rabbits are good at hiding if they are unwell

• pinkiemarie
            Participant

Oh good I’m glad to hear he gets time out. I have cats who like hunting and I was able to train them to be good with rabbits, but if the cat has been feral you’re good to be careful. Keep a spray bottle handy in case he sneaks his way into your room. As for play time, would you be able to put his cage into an exercise pen so he has a little more space during his confined time?

I didn’t think the video looked concerning but I’m not an expert. My best advice is to have him see a vet for a few reasons. One, they can check and make sure there isn’t anything wrong with his breathing but also check his teeth and just have a baseline record of his health on file. Two, if he does have any health issues and they’re treatable it’s best to catch them early!

• Netherland Dwarf Dad
                Participant

That’s what my plan is to do but I’ll have to wait till the weather warms a bit. There’s an old desk in my room I’m getting rid of but with the snow and Covid it’s difficult to get a friend to come help me (father can’t because of his back). I’ve gotten a spray bottle for the cat, he’s gotten a hold of animals outside unfortunately which is the main reason I don’t think he’ll understand the little bunny isn’t food.. but I’ve also put the fear of god in him after the first time he got into my room lol

I’ve set an appointment with my local vet just to make sure he’s doing alright. Thanks a lot for the advice and tips, I really appreciate the help!

• pinkiemarie
                  Participant

You’re welcome! Please let us know how the appointment goes.

• Netherland Dwarf Dad
                    Participant

Sorry for the late reply but brought him in and they said everything is all good! Could just be a bit of an anxious little bunny but nothing to worry about. All his levels were fine

• pinkiemarie
                      Participant

I’m glad to hear it! And that probably makes you feel a lot better too!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR 15 Week old Netherland Dwarf body moves while breathing