Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR 10 year old rabbit losing his litter box training

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ollie’s mom
      Participant
      21 posts Send Private Message

Ollie is 10 years old. A week ago he had a stroke and I thoughts I was going to lose him.

somehow he has had an incredible recovery. He’s regained his ability to walk and move, but he is unsteady and struggles with coordination. He is not jumping anymore so he’s in a 5 x 5 ish pen and not in his 2 story condo any more. I replaced his litter box with a tray from a hutch. It’s got really low sides so it can’t hold litter, I’ve been lining it with puppy pads.
        90% of the time he’s peeing in his box but 10% of the time he’s peeing on the floor.
        I have carpet so this is a big problem.
        I ended up having to line the whole pen with puppy pads but it’s encouraging him to pee outside of the box.

I am unsure what to do. In the past I would give him an additional box where he’s peeing and slowly move it back to his normal box. But he can’t get in a normal box and there isn’t room for another tray.

Any ideas to help him remember his litter box training?  If not is there a way to make the bottom of his enclosure more like a giant cage so I don’t ruin the carpet? I’m not going to keep  him in a cage. I need to figure this out.

• Bam
        16871 posts Send Private Message

Could you cut a hole in one of the sides of a normal litterbox so he can get in easier? Maybe that would jog his memory?

It is also possible that the stroke has caused him to lose some of the sensation in the bladder, so that he doesnt always know that he needs to pee. He could have lost some of his bladder control due to the stroke so he cant manage to get to the box (or tray, now) before peeing is a fact. Does he get wet from pee on his legs/inside of thighs?

• Ollie’s mom
          Participant

@bam he was initially peeing on himself and needing but baths the first few days after the stroke. But now he’s not, he’s lifting his tail and everything. Maybe he doesn’t realize he has to pee until it’s urgent. I don’t know.

I could buy another litter box and cut it for him. That’s a good idea. He’s always had a huge litter box (2 x 3.5 foot bottom of an old cage) I’ve struggled to find something a good size/ I don’t want to ruin the cage in case we need it.

• Wick & Fable
            5781 posts Send Private Message

Would a boot-tray work? They are large and shallow, but still have a lip. Hay might get everywhere, but if it’s surrounded with high walls, the hay won’t get pushed out too easily. Both my rabbits love lounging in the black boot tray I have. it is also easy to clean and they open track hay into there (one of their hay feeders is right next to it) and like eating in there too. My thought is it’s spacious, so if he ends up liking it, it may give him room to lounge and also have space for him to eat and use the restroom too.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
              8930 posts Send Private Message

There are some litter boxes meant for puppies and cats with limited mobility that have one low side, which might be helpful for him. Also plant potting trays are good litter boxes for buns with limited mobility (they have a similar low side). I got one marketed as one for senior cats when Bertha lost some mobility in her back leg towards the end of her life, it helped her a lot.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
                Participant
                743 posts Send Private Message

I have seen pen liner blankets that are made for dogs that are supposed to be water/urine proof. It would seem less like a puppy pad if he now thinks of those as where he is supposed to pee.

• Ollie’s mom
                  Participant

These are all really helpful ideas!! I’m going to go pick some of these things up. Thank you!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR 10 year old rabbit losing his litter box training