Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR ❗Extremely serious question about bunny behavior❗

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Emelia7124
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

Why do rabbits growl and attack?

In the wild rabbit moms always train her rabbit kids to absolutely fear foxes or eagles, when they see one, just run for their life, never look back or be eaten.

But when my bunny sees grandma, whom she hate, she just growl and attack, don’t she feel terrified that she may eat her? Does she see me as her protector mom?? Please help.

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

Wild bunnies will sometimes fight back against a predator.

Pet bunnies can growl and lunge if they are fearful. However, this is not always the case. The more common reason is a bunny being territorial. They will growl and lunge at an intruder that they perceive is invading their territory. So grandma probably isn’t a “predator”, she is probably another “rabbit” trying to invade your bunny’s territory.

• Emelia7124
          Participant
          24 posts Send Private Message

Haha yeah, grandma always waves her hand directly in her face, I’d be annoyed too if I was her. But grandma is 100 times larger than my bunny, how could she misunderstand grandma as a rabbit???

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

When rabbits communicate with each other, getting right in the other rabbit’s face is seen as threatening, so that would explain why your rabbit is getting defensive towards her.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

Domesticated rabbits typically don’t see humans as a predator, especially ones that are accustomed to living inside a house. They will communicate (or attempt to communicate) with you like they would with another rabbit. I’m sure they know humans aren’t actually rabbits, but they interact with humans as though they are peers (rather than predators). However, rabbit language is different than cat or dog language.

Anyway, if grandma encroaches on bunny’s territory and waves her hand in her face, then bunny may perceive that as a threat. Therefore, she gets defensive in the same manner she would if it was an actual rabbit encroaching on her territory and, as Dana said, getting in her face. Make sense?

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR ❗Extremely serious question about bunny behavior❗