Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Unusual Rabbit breeds

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
    • prince dorian the bun
      Participant
      766 posts Send Private Message

Just to be clear I am very much a adopt don’t shop person, and would not pick a rabbit just for it’s breed… I don’t even know what Dorian is. The shelter just called him a rex and wasn’t sure if he was a mini or not… I think he is a mini, but not really a rex from what I have read.

That said I do like looking at all the fancy variations. I just discovered Belgium Hares and seriously in love with how they really do look like hares! Those ears are crazy large! Has anyone had any experience with them?

Also what other more unusual rabbit breeds are there? What are your favorites?

• DanaNM
        9050 posts Send Private Message

The most interesting breed I have seen recently was a velveteen lop! He had a plush rex coat and these HUGE lopped ears. He was SO cute.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
          Participant

Oh I just looked at some photos, they look sooo soft!

• Louiethebunny
            Participant
            604 posts Send Private Message

Although not very unusual, Netherland Dwarf rabbits have my heart, as well as lops with airplane ears! They are just so so so cute!

• HipHopBunny
              Participant
              640 posts Send Private Message

My buns’ are mixes as well! I know that they are descended from a Californian, but am not sure on the other.

One unusual rabbit breed (I think) is the Rhinelander rabbit. (Although it might just be me, I haven’t heard of her before 😆 )

• Louiethebunny
                Participant

English lops and French lops are strange to me, usually I think of the tiny holland lops, but these two can get really big!

• Hazel
                  Participant
                  2587 posts Send Private Message

tanlover had Tan rabbits, they are beautiful and look a lot like Belgian Hares. I miss them.

Does anyone know if she still has her blog?

• DanaNM

@Hazel Tans are so beautiful! My Moose was a Satin and he was soooo handsome, and kind of reminded me of a Tan. Tanlover seemed to disappear from the internet at some point. I was in communication with her a few years ago via facebook but then at some point her blog disappeared and she stopped responding to me. So I have no idea. :-/

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• prince dorian the bun
                      Participant

@Louiethebunny – I should have just said interesting/cute breeds, I really don’t know much about rabbit breeds so all are a bit unusual. The Lops are really cute, though personally I love big stick up ears

@HipHopBunny
                        – oh the markings of Rhinelander rabbit are cool. I have seen them before, just didn’t have a name.

@Hazel
                        – Tans are pretty! They remind me of otters… the rabbit variety not the actual otters.

What makes a satin? I can’t really tell from looking at photos. Is it the fur?

• DanaNM

Satins have a different structure to their hair so they are very shiny and silky soft.

Here’s some pics of my Moose. He had the otter type coloration but Satins can be other colors too!

• prince dorian the bun
                          Participant

Moose is so handsome. Love that coloration! He’s very shiny too.

• Hazel
                            Participant

Aww, sweet Moosey 🙂  What a ham! He was so beautiful.

That’s too bad about tanlover. 🙁  I thought we would have more old members showing up at this point, it’s kinda sad.

• DanaNM

Moosey was such a handsome and sweet boy! And he was such a ham! He somehow had the ability to teleport himself on top of the pellet container the moment I opened the cabinet door. 🙂

Agree the Tanlover disappearance was odd; my memory was that it happened long before the site update. Hopefully more and more members will keep trickling in! We are certainly happy to have you back!

• Hazel
                                Participant

Aw, stop it… 😆  I sure am glad BB is back, fingers crossed more old members will get with the program soon! 😀

Moose 😆  Bunnies do seem to get special powers whenever food is involved.

• jerseygirl
                                  22345 posts Send Private Message

I didn’t realise Moose was a satin! So beautiful. x

@HipHopBunny
                                    , I’ve always found the Rhinelander so pretty. I’ve never met any but I’m told they have a bit of satin sheen to their coat also?

@PrinceDorian, I agree, the belgian hares are gorgeous. I suspect they’re very active, like the Tans. Less of a pet and more of a fanciers breed. That said, I do remember a YouTube video for years ago of 2 Belgians using a modified human toliet! So perhaps they’re the most perfect pet? Depends whether they leave the seat up or not. 😄

This one is not a breed but IS an unusual rabbit. Mr Bigglesworth, the hairless rabbit! Look him up if you haven’t heard of him.  He has social media 😄. He’s a Rex rabbit here in Australia that was born with a genetic condition.

• DanaNM

I love Mr Bigglesworth! He is soooo funny!

• HipHopBunny
                                      Participant

@jerseygirl Oh, the Rhinelander took my breath away when I saw her! Though I have never seen any in person. But they are stunning!

@DanaNM Wow! Moose was such a handsome boy! (and a ham 😆 )

@Hazel
                                        Tans are gorgeous! They look so soft!

@Prince Dorian the bun: Belgium Hares do have large ears! Nice to put a name to the face! 🙂

@Louiethebunny
                                        French and English lops are very impressive with how big they can get! 🙂 You would think because of their size, that they are half dog!

• prince dorian the bun
                                        Participant

@jerseygirl I do know Mr Bigglesworth 😀 (Well not personally, but have seen him on instagram).  & I was reading more on the Belgium hares and I think you are right, I just started following a couple on instagram and they appear very energetic. They do seem affectionate with their owners though, though sometimes hard to tell from a few photos.

Anyone know the name of the little white bunnies with what looks like black eyeliner on them and sometimes blue eyes? I want to say it was hottentop or something like that… not finding it on google right off. Those are adorable too.

• Hazel
                                          Participant

@prince dorian the bun : I think it’s Hotot? They’re very cute!

@jerseygirl
                                            : Thanks for mentioning Mr Bigglesworth, I hadn’t heard of him. He’s amazing! 😀

• prince dorian the bun
                                            Participant

@Hazel – yes that’s them!

• Azerane
                                              4689 posts Send Private Message

Belgian Hares are my favourite rabbit breed, followed very closely by the Tan. Unfortunately we don’t have Belgian Hares in Australia and Tans are pretty rare so I’ve only seen a tan once or twice at shows and don’t recall ever having seen a Belgian Hare when I’ve been overseas.

I suspect that both Belgians and Tans, being very active breeds that they would require a lot of mental stimulation. Not like my two lazy lumps which are happy to lounge around all day. Belgian Hares and Tans would probably always be getting into mischief.

I’ve also got a soft spot for the Smoke Pearl, but that’s because Bandit was one 🙂

• prince dorian the bun
                                                Participant

@Azerane Oh Smokey Pearls are so pretty! They look a little like lighter version of Dorian… now I wonder what he might all be mixed with.

• DanaNM

Oooh so pretty! A new rabbit just arrived at the shelter and I think he is that color! He is so pretty, we were all fawning over him.

• Hazel
                                                    Participant

*cough*gethim*cough*

• DanaNM

@Hazel do NOT encourage me LOL

• Hazel
                                                        Participant

I did no such thing, I have a cough. Also, we’re gonna need some pictures so we can help you pick out a name.

• Azerane

Smoke Pearl is confusingly a colour as well as a breed, so the colour is present in other breeds. There are two versions of the colour, smoke pearl, and smoke pearl marten. 🙂

@DanaNM we need pics 😀

• DanaNM

I will get some this week! His name is Sven, lol. He just came out of quarantine the day of my shift last week, and we had a ton of new bunnies and guinea pigs so I didn’t really have anytime for playing with the buns. Then the next day someone dropped off 10 rabbits in a trash can…. WTH is wrong with people?? >:(

• Louiethebunny
                                                              Participant

In one of my online rabbit groups someone posted an alert about someone giving away free bunnies at a garage sale… I couldn’t go to see if I could help, but some others did, so that’s good.

• HipHopBunny
                                                                Participant

@DanaNM, What? 👿 That is so un-humane!!! ALL 10 bunnies crammed in a trash can? Poor, poor, poor bunnies. 😥 It is a blessing for them that they are at your rescue now, though. 🙂

• DanaNM

I got sent a picture…. it was awful. I think they worst thing about it was that if the person thought it was OK to transport them that way, what type of conditions must they have had them living in? Poor babies. 🙁 They are now in RHDV quarantine so I won’t get to see them for a couple weeks but will update on them once they come out.

Most of the bunnies that get surrendered seem to come from OK situations (or are found outside somewhere), but every once in a while we get some that are just so heartbreaking.

Sorry to derail your thread Louiebun!

• Peanutthebunny
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    239 posts Send Private Message

I love English lops but I think the ears may get infections and other health problems. if you want to find out what breed/breeds Dorian is maybe a bunny DNA test will help there’s more about that on binky bunny information

• HipHopBunny
                                                                      Participant

@DanaNM It is heart-breaking what people seem to think is ‘okay’ living conditions. 😥 There are so many poor buns out there who my heart just breaks for. It is truly beautiful what your shelter is doing for these poor buns. I am so grateful there are people like you, and all of the binky bunny members out there to help these poor, poor bunnies. 🙂

• Louiethebunny
                                                                        Participant

I’m so grateful the people in my area + FaceBook group are so loving with bunnies. They are willing to drive hours to rescue bunnies from bad situations and take care of them until they can be rehomed.

@prince dorian : found another cute breed! They arent very uncommon but I just discovered them: Polishes. They have huge gorgeous eyes! I thought they were Netherland Dwarves but they reach a slightly larger weight I believe.

• LBJ10
                                                                          Moderator
                                                                          17012 posts Send Private Message

English angoras! I love it when they have their hair cut. It’s just sad though because their fur is so unnatural. Someone must maintain it, otherwise it would become very matted.

• Reesebun
                                                                            Participant
                                                                            1034 posts Send Private Message

I think my favorite rabbit breed is the jersey wooly. They have the adorable squished Netherland dwarf head shape and ears but with a little fluffy cotton ball body. They’re like the angora rabbit so you can make stuff out of their fur easily, but they seem hard to take care of with their fur type. I just think they’re really cute lol

• Peanutthebunny
                                                                              Participant

I’ve never seen those @Reesebun wow so cute i thought they were angoras at first

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                                Participant

jersey wooly remind me of sheep with bunny heads 😀 so cute. Polishes are cute too!

@RabbitLover908
                                                                                  – I am happy with a couple of educated guesses more than needing an actual DNA test, I don’t really care that much at the end of the day. Thanks for suggestion though! Dorian is a handsome little snuggle bun and that’s all that matters in the end! He does have a bit or the pearl markings other than his little white patches and he’s a little darker, so that’s what made me wonder 🙂 (I was using the description from https://www.petguide.com/breeds/rabbit/smoke-pearl-rabbit/ so not sure how good that one is)

Also glad there are good people who care about animals and very disappointed in the other kind of people.

• Peanutthebunny
                                                                                  Participant

i cant believe i used to want a specific kind of rabbit being here opened my eyes to adopting and showing me that all rabbits need home thankyou everybody

• HipHopBunny
                                                                                    Participant

@RabbitLover908 Everybun is beautiful in their own way, and one day I am sure you will find some very kind bunnies, that will call to you. 🙂 Whichever buns you end up picking, will be very lucky to have you.

• Peanutthebunny
                                                                                      Participant

aww thank you @HipHopBunny I cant wait till I can get a bun or two

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                                        Participant

@RabbitLover908 – the right bun or bunnies will probably find you (at least that’s my experience with fur family) . I went into the shelter thinking I would just look and see what the rabbits were like, the plan had been to maybe adopt a bonded pair of middle aged large rabbits and not necessarily that day… but the pair I was eyeing was being looked at other people at the time, so I just picked the little grey bunny with no intention of taking him home. But long story short, I did and ended up with a single, small very young bun instead 😀 . No regrets.

And no shame on wanting a certain type of bun, as long as at the end it’s about how you two (or three) get along! There are so many cute buns at shelters wanting a forever home.

• DanaNM
                                                                                          Moderator

This thread has moved on a bit, but as promised, here are some pics of “Sven” (lol), @Hazel

He is maybe not quite a Smoke Pearl but he sure is handsome!

• cottonballbun
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                              28 posts Send Private Message

omg sven is super handsome!!!!!

• HipHopBunny
                                                                                              Participant

@DanaNM You HAVE to get him! He is adorable, he seems as though he is easy to bond if you don’t get him, I just might track him down and get him myself! Definitely get him! 😀

• DanaNM
                                                                                                Moderator

LOL nahhhhh, right now I somehow have a magical group of three that doesn’t chew and has impeccable litter box habits (well, aside from Bun Jovi’s sleep pooping, but he’s an old man so I can’t blame him) so I can finally have free-roam bunnies. I don’t think I want to risk bringing a crazy young boy into that mix! He was running the fence with Marigold all afternoon… too much teenage boy energy for me!

Plus there are so many bunnies at the shelter that have my heart but aren’t as “adoptable”… I would totally opt for one of them if I was going to get another!

• Louiethebunny
                                                                                                  Participant

If I had more room, I would adopt all the bunnies, but I live at home with my family, and my room, while it is large, doesn’t have room for a ton of bunnies. There are so many cuties at shelters (somewhat) near me, and I can’t wait until we find Louie a match!

• prince dorian the bun
                                                                                                    Participant

Good luck with the speed dating @LouietheBunny! Would love to hear your experiences with it. & of course take & share pics of the dates! 😀

• Hazel
                                                                                                      Participant

SVEEEEEN!!! Aww, he’s amazing! I need him Dana, get him!

• Louiethebunny
                                                                                                        Participant

I need them all! They are too cute, and it’s a shame they have to be stuck in the shelter because somebody dumped them or surrendered them 🙁

• Azerane
                                                                                                          Moderator

Sven is so handsome <3

Viewing 49 reply threads
                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Unusual Rabbit breeds