Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE To all the bunnies who never even had a chance…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Barbie
      Participant
      1581 posts Send Private Message

Hi eveyone, This isn’t actually a memorial post, per say, but I wanted to get this off my chest… I’ve been thinking a lot about this since I saw the article this morning: http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/….php?c=pfs  WARNING: DISTURBING IMAGE ON THIS SITE    This made me feel a bit better, but not much http://www.woio.com/Global/story.asp?S=10848039

And then I got to thinking about all those poor bunnies and animals that have similar fates at the hands of cruel people and all the poor furbabies that never find a loving home and, instead, spend their remaining numbered days in shelters, or worse, in an abusive negletful “home.”  I love Leroy and my other pets so much and I have so much love to give to other fuzzy babies, but there are so many homeless animals out there, and it makes me sad to think about all the wonderful, silly, loyal, beautiful animals that will never experience the life of a spoiled house pet and the love of a completely devoted (some might say crazy) human “slave.”  It makes me so mad!

This afternoon, I was starting to feel better… Things were going well at work and my projects were moving right along and on schedule, and then after work, I got to spend lot of time with my boyfriend and we had a good evening… and as we were driving back (we were on a quiet country road), we saw this tiny little wild rabbit in the road. 

WARNING: description below may be disturbing to some

I thought at first it was doing a big stretch in the middle of the road, and just hanging out, but as we slowed down and got closer, I saw that the poor little thing was dragging itself by its front legs, desperately trying to get out of the road.  It had been hit by a car and left to die.  The poor little bun seemed to be paralyzed in it’s hind legs, most likely a broken back, and its intestines were hanging out of its abdomen.  As we pulled up beside it, it just turned and looked at me with the most piercing eyes… it was obviously scared out of its wits and in a tremendous amount of pain.  I knew he was dying, but I wasn’t sure if he’d die quickly or suffer for hours.  I know some of you may not agree with this but… I wanted my boyfriend to turn the car around and drive over it, to put it out of its misery quickly instead of leaving it in pain.  Taking it to a vet briefly crossed my mind, but even if it made it to the nearest vet (almost 2 hours away) and somehow survived, it was a wild rabbit, not suited for life in a house. (And then of course, there are the dangers of me coming in contact with wild rabbit blood and possibly bringing something home to Leroy).  So there really was nothing we could do for it.  My boyfriend didn’t want to drive over it – neither of us are capable of hurting an animal, let alone killing one!  But I felt like I had to suck it up and help release it from it’s pain.  The last thing I wanted was for the vultures or other nasty things to start picking at its body before the bunny died.  Nor did I want it to get hit again and not be killed by the second car.  So I traded seats with my boyfriend and got behind the wheel (even though I felt like I was going to throw up at the thought of what I was going to do) and drove back to where it was in the road.  But by the time we got back (it took probably less than a minute for us to switch seats and drive back), he had passed on.  At that point, all I could do was send up a little prayer for him.  I can still see the pain and fear in his eyes and it’s tearing me up.  I know life is hard in the wild and death is most definitely a frequent occurance, but to see that poor little bun in so much pain that someone had hit and left to suffer made me so upset and angry.  Sigh…

I’m so glad I was able to go home tonight and cuddle Leroy.  But thinking so much about all these poor buns bring back the pain of loosing Little Sugar, my first bunny.  I loved my beautiful ruby eyed white nethie dearly.  It’s been 5 years since she passed on at the age of 8, and I still miss her.  I will always love you, Sugar-bun.

Binky free little bunnies!  I’ll meet you all at Rainbow Bridge.  Say hi to Little Sugar for me.

• jerseygirl
        22345 posts Send Private Message

*Binky Free To the un-named and unloved*

Barbie, thanks for posting this, it’s something I would guess many of have thought of time to time – all those rabbits/animals in general, we cannot help directly. I don’t envy the position you found yourself in this afternoon. I don’t think I’d know what to do.  I do know I would not be able to just leave it. To put it out of it’s misery humanely is best but to actually build the courage to do it would be difficult I imagine. Morbid as it’s sounds, I actually think it might be something to learn from the RSPCA – how to best to go about euthanising a road victim – so I’d be better prepared.

• Barbie
          Participant

Yes, binky free to ALL the un-named and unloved

Jerseygirl, of course I don’t think driving over it is the most humane option, but at the time it was the only thing we could have done – thank goodness the bunny passed before we came back so I didn’t have to mutilate its poor body even more and put it through more pain. I think that’s a really good idea to ask how to best euthanize HBCs on the road. =)

• MissPinUp
            Participant
            151 posts Send Private Message

About your new article, our Petland was shut down as well! It’s back up and running under new ownership, unfortunately. Our Petland people killed kittens, I won’t go into the gory details. What is it with Petlands? Also, good on ya. You did everything you could. I’m posting a similar experience I had last night

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

Barbie,

I once hit a squirrel with my car. I had made the same choice as you and like you, it was ‘gracious’ enough to have died before I reached it. It is never an easy thing when you see such an animal in such a state.

• jerseygirl
                22345 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Barbie on 08/06/2009 05:49 AM
                  Yes, binky free to ALL the un-named and unloved

Jerseygirl, of course I don’t think driving over it is the most humane option, but at the time it was the only thing we could have done – thank goodness the bunny passed before we came back so I didn’t have to mutilate its poor body even more and put it through more pain. I think that’s a really good idea to ask how to best euthanize HBCs on the road. =)

I pass no judgement whether it would have been humane or not – I hope you didn’t think I was indicating otherwise.  The fact was your intention was to humanely deal with the situation.

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

I can understand how you came to that decision. I know if it were me, I’d rather be put out of my misery.

(((Bunny…)))

• Barbie
                    Participant

Jerseygirl, no, I didn’t think you were passing judgement =)

Thanks for your support everyone

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

OMG I’m just in shock-you hear about people doing these evil things-but the LOOK ON HER FACE I’m just in shock. If I knew where she lived, I’d gather a mob with pitchforks I’m sure

I appreciate this memorial to these buns and others like them, Barbie.

• DeVaStAt0r
                        Participant
                        96 posts Send Private Message

Anyone who could intentionally harm any animal must have something seriously wrong with them.

They should have to endure the same torture they give these little helpless creatures.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE To all the bunnies who never even had a chance…