Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Starbuck has buried the babies under bedding

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • sinistermooess
      Participant
      45 posts Send Private Message

Is this an ok thing?  I feel like maybe they can’t breathe, my husband said if i move some of the bedding I would be overriding her natural maternal instincts, which makes sense.  She just got done feeding them before she buried them, a normal thing after feeding maybe?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

it’s okay that she buried them, she wants to keep them warm. how much bedding is on top of them? if it’s a thin layer i woldn’t be too concerned… if it’s a lot, than maybe move a little off the top…

• sinistermooess
          Participant
          45 posts Send Private Message

Quite a bit of bedding actually, the babies are trying to poke their heads out of it.  I will try moving just a little bit off and see what she does.

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

Yes, that is normal. They need to be warm to digest their milk. It does sound like she knows what she is doing.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
              Participant
              971 posts Send Private Message

Just let her do her own thing. She’ll know instinctively how to take care of them. Don’t bother her so early on…
                When my Lionhead female Kibou had babies, I checked them once daily, otherwise I left them alone. Kibou rejected one baby, which I then attempted to bottlefeed and return to the nest, and Kibou ate the baby since she clearly knew he was not meant to live.
                These bunnies…they know what to do.
                Once the little buggers got their fur, and started to open their eyes I interacted with them more…but in these initial days it is crucial you leave mom alone and check them maybe once a day to make sure they are alive and fat.

• bunnytowne
                Participant
                7537 posts Send Private Message

Gosh she just went to one extreme to the other.  You can shred some newspaper and put in there too.  Your girl should be ok.  So will the babes.  They feed at nite like 11pm and morning like 4 pm or some such.  You usually don’ t see them nursing.  I am sure they will be ok. The mommy bunny should do just fine with them.

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

I sounds like she is doing a very good job with her babies – also, I’ve seen wild bunny nests and the moms cover their little bunnies up as well, so it sounds like a natural instinct. I’m so jealous of your little baby buns

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Starbuck has buried the babies under bedding