Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Some of your least favorite bun related stuff

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLass568
      Participant
      446 posts Send Private Message

I know that all of us on here love rabbits but I was wondering if anyone has a least favorite rabbit related thing? For example the other day when I was filling up the hay racks I got a good smell of their hay and it smelled horrible because it was sitting in like 106+ fahrenheit weather (and that’s inside, on the front porch which doesn’t have an AC) and as much as I love my buns I don’t really like how they pre and poop in their water dish some times. (Some times it’s bearable but other times it’s horrendous.)  Also hate the small cages that are for sale and the cages with the wired bottoms. So what about you guys? What’s your least favorite bunny realted thing(s)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

• Daisy
        Participant
        199 posts Send Private Message

– Hay EVERYWHERE
          – Fur EVERYWHERE
          – Stinky pee
          – Buns chewing everything you’ve ever loved

That’s about it I think! When I compare it to other pets I feel like I’m still lucky with my buns. Cats, dogs and a lot of rodents stink worse and cats and dogs don’t have a pen so will mess up all the things all day every day. Yay for bunnies!

• Sirius&Luna
          Participant
          2320 posts Send Private Message

Yepp, it’s the hay and fur everywhere that I can’t cope with. We’re moving house soon and the buns are going to get their own room, so HOPEFULLY I can finally have a kitchen and living room that isn’t coated in rabbit fur

• Bladesmith
            Participant
            849 posts Send Private Message

Gotta be the hair and to a lesser extent, the hay. I live in a TINY 680 sq ft home, and the hair gets into places, I would swear it was impossible to get into. My vacuum cleaner actually filed abuse charges against me because I use it so much.

• sarahthegemini
              Participant
              5584 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Sirius&Luna on 7/05/2018 3:30 AM
                Yepp, it’s the hay and fur everywhere that I can’t cope with. We’re moving house soon and the buns are going to get their own room, so HOPEFULLY I can finally have a kitchen and living room that isn’t coated in rabbit fur

Trust me, it still gets everywhere

• Sirius&Luna
                Participant

Haha don’t shatter my dreams Sarah, let me have hope until I move in at least

• Wick & Fable
                  5812 posts Send Private Message

That time Wick sprayed pee into my open mouth. That was pretty terrible.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• joea64
                    Participant
                    1423 posts Send Private Message

The hay and (less so) fur (there’s molting going on with the recent heat wave). I live in a small efficiency apartment which is basically one big room plus bathroom and walk-in closet connected to the main by a hallway, and stray bits of hay are literally just about everywhere, even getting into my food. I think I’m going to bite the bullet, put Panda and Fernando in their carrier, put them in the bathroom so they don’t get too spooked by the vacuum, and give the place a good vacuuming this weekend; it really is getting that bad, and I think it has something to do with the constant hay fever I’ve had all this past month (in addition to the outside pollen count). It’s not that I’m particularly allergic to hay, but the dust is getting really bad.

The buns are very good about peeing, so that I’ve never seen it outside their cage. They’re also good at pooping where they’re supposed to; there are on average usually only two or three stray balls on the floor that I have to pick up and throw back into the litterbox.

• Bam
                      16957 posts Send Private Message

OMG, Wick ???

Hay is my least favorite part of bunny ownership. I love the hay that gets eaten, but the rest not so much.

• Poppyhani
                        Participant
                        52 posts Send Private Message

Okay, the hay, yes, but my least favourite thing is when they go in a mood with me. I have a pretty affectionate bun, she’ll kiss me if I lower my head to her, but she has her moody days, as bunnies do, and that… LOL… I cry every time. 

Please love me. I feed and pick up your poop! At least pay attention to me too!

• sarahthegemini
                          Participant

Posted By Wick on 7/05/2018 12:09 PM

I love him

Sirius – tbf, it’s not as bad. There’s still fur and hay all over but to a lesser extent

• LittlePuffyTail
                            18092 posts Send Private Message

Haha….Wick…You naughty bunny!!!! Not quite as horrible but my little Bridge lop, Velvet, was once sitting on the top of the couch while I was laying down and she peed….and it went in my ear!!!! Gross….

What I hate most about bunnies: VET BILLS!!!!

• Muj Mom N Bun
                              Participant
                              352 posts Send Private Message

In the grand (all puns intended) scheme of it… hay everywhere, poopie berries here and there… fur: may never need new insulation in this part of the house I rent… but the worst of the offenders is definitely same as LittlePuffyTail… Exotic Vets with their Exotic Prices! And, even once you go to one, you may still not be guaranteed that they will really be on top of their game with being as Up to date Rabbit Savy… but boy they are quick to be up to date on their Exotic Prices. Smh…. it almost hurts to feel like your held over a barrel with your beloved bunny’s health needs versus the scant amount of Rabbit Savy Vets, who then aren’t also costing your month’s income.

• Nutmeg
                                Participant
                                594 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Wick on 7/05/2018 12:09 PM

OMG I just Died! BHAHAHAHAH That is so horrible! 

• Nutmeg
                                  Participant

Posted By LittlePuffyTail on 7/08/2018 5:51 PM

Haha….Wick…You naughty bunny!!!! Not quite as horrible but my little Bridge lop, Velvet, was once sitting on the top of the couch while I was laying down and she peed….and it went in my ear!!!! Gross….

What I hate most about bunnies: VET BILLS!!!!

OMG I have tears coming down my face! My MOST FAV. Thing is that I haven’t had that happen to me LOL

My least fav things is that my boy Rupert hasn’t been neutered yet and is Pooping EVERYWHERE!! His current nick name is “Poopert” 
                                    And yes the Hay 
                                    and YES the Vet bills – its going to cost me almost $700 to have my two spayed and neutered on Wednesday!  

• LittlePuffyTail

LOL @ Poopert!!!!!

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                      Participant
                                      2512 posts Send Private Message

Hahaha, rabbits can be downright foul when it gets to pee accidents. Yuck…in your mouth…or in your ear, blegh!

What I like the least about rabbits is the late night cecals. This often happens around our cuddle time, and Breintje often tries to kiss me with his mouth still brown. He doesn’t understand and insists on kissing me.
                                        Nah, I’ll pass this time. Thank you, but no! No, no, not the pyjamas…either… Okay, I guess that’s a new set of PJ’s on…

• Nibbler&Georgie
                                        Participant
                                        35 posts Send Private Message

Oh my gosh Wick, I cant even imagine how gross that would be!
                                          Nutmeg, yes pooping everywhere! My two are getting spayed Wednesday as well and I’m really hoping the poops will end up more in the litter box and less everywhere else.
                                          Currently, because I know it will change and there will be something new, Nibbler likes to move around her litter box. Its not really a problem since she still uses it, but it just bugs me that its not where its supposed to be. And she moves her bed to directly up against her water bottle so that it leaks out and soaks the bed (she also has a bowl of water, so shes not going without water).

• Nutmeg
                                          Participant

Posted By Nibbler&Georgie on 7/09/2018 9:53 PM

Nutmeg, yes pooping everywhere! My two are getting spayed Wednesday as well and I’m really hoping the poops will end up more in the litter box and less everywhere else.

Oh man, I am SO Nervous for tomorrow. I’ve never had an animal spayed / neutered (my dad was very against pets growing up so I had a hamster lol) and they are just so small these little bunnies of ours 

Ironically my girl is bigger than my boy – but when we brought them both to the vet for their first check up – & to book the spay / neuter appointment – SHE was the one who freaked out on the car ride in – to the point they brought her right into the back to check her over once I got there and went into hiding for hours once we got home. 
                                            HE (Poopert lol) could care less! He jumped right out of his carrier once we got there and we exploring around and was 100% fine once we got home. 

I almost wish it was the other way around for them for how more invasive her surgery is going to be. 

**** OH that makes me think of another hate – I hate how much I worry about my bunnies lol

• Sirius&Luna
                                            Participant

Good luck with the spays and neuters all paws crossed for a quick recovery!

• LittlePuffyTail

**** OH that makes me think of another hate – I hate how much I worry about my bunnies lol

Yup, I hear that!!!! I’ve been a bun Mom for over 15 years. The worrying never stops.

• Sofia
                                                Participant
                                                348 posts Send Private Message

I hate worrying about whether my buns actually happy, or whether shed rather be anywhere else than be with me, and is actually plotting my murder?

• Muj Mom N Bun
                                                  Participant

Nutmeg…. Can you believe that that, plus a bit more, is what it is gonna cost me to have my 1 gal spayed in my area!!! And I’m scared to pieces about so the exorbitant cost isn’t making me take the risk of losing my little sweetie any faster.

• Muj Mom N Bun
                                                    Participant

I have been worrying about spaying my BunBun for so long that it is causing me some significant anxiety. I have even considered starting a forum thread on this very topic but I was ashamed of my fear.

• sarahthegemini
                                                      Participant

Posted By Muj Mom N Bun on 7/11/2018 10:41 AM

I have been worrying about spaying my BunBun for so long that it is causing me some significant anxiety. I have even considered starting a forum thread on this very topic but I was ashamed of my fear.

Don’t be daft – make a thread and we can reassure you

• Nutmeg
                                                        Participant

HEY!!! Awwww Muj Mom N Bun – maybe this will help….

SO Rupert bounced right back – and jumped right out of the top of his cage when I went to clean his letter the NEXT Day!! When he was supposed to be resting.
                                                          The boys always have it easier than the girls.

Ok so Penny and her spay –
                                                          1) They kept them over night to make sure they had seen them both eat something and poop / pee before they let them go home.
                                                          2) Penny was super grumpy and showing me her butt when we got home (don’t blame her)
                                                          3) About 3 hours after I got her home it was time for her next pain / anti inflammatory medicine. I could tell as she was NOT interested in food and was hunched up and starting to grind her teeth.
                                                          4) The problem with above is that she had to have food IN her stomach before I could give her the pain meds – but she was in pain and didn’t want to eat.
                                                          5) So I had to feed her critical care and then her medicine – and she had enough energy to fight me on that one!!! I was so worried she would hurt herself / incision while she was struggling but I got some food in her and the medicine.

6)She then started to nibble on some Kale.
                                                          7) I spent the next two days trying to get her to eat anything. I sat there and waved food in her face until she would get pissed at me and grab it – which would result in her nibbling on it a bit. I got enough in to her that I didn’t have to force feed her again, but still not as much as I would have liked.

8) While she did start to eat a little more each day (she still does not have her full appetite back – its day 5 but she’s eating enough that I could go back to work today) I was giving her whatever she wanted to eat – But then one day she would eat a bit of apple and the next day not touch it lol UGH. So just keep trying different things. She’s still not really back into eating Hay yet, she nibbles, but that’s about it – and everything I read said that would be the first thing she would probably go back to lol. But she would nibble on Kale and Colard Greens – wasn’t feeling herbs at all.

9) Neither of mine have really bothered their spay / neuter site (knock on wood) so after a lot of research I went out and got cheap newborn baby onesies to put on them if they do – less stressful than the “Cone of Shame” lol – just watch youtube videos on how to put them on cats. Its the same thing.
                                                          10) giving them their medication was the second most stressful part for me, besides Penny not wanting to eat.

SOOoooo after all that, what I will say is this – Yes its 100% worth it to get the spay done to help with uterine cancer – BUT it does not matter how much you read about how the girls taking longer to get back to their old self and how they wont really want to eat – because as much as you think you are prepared you will still worry like crazy when its your own bunny.
                                                          My vet got a phone call 3 times a day lol – but they were great about it.

The biggest thing to watch for – besides if she’s pooping and eating – is her alertness. Penny was always alert. She may have given me wicked “Cut-Eye” and dirty looks but she was aware of her surroundings.

Now the hardest thing for me is going to be keeping in their cages as they are going STIR Crazy lol.

We are all here for you when you go through with her Spay! And remember this – most people only come on when something is going wrong. Think of how many MORE people had their bunny’s spayed and everything went well so they never felt the need to post.

• Nutmeg
                                                          Participant

Ps – sorry for the delay in updating. I can only really get online at work and I took the rest of the week off to take care of them lol. Thank god I did as Penny took all my energy and attention.

• Reesebun
                                                            Participant
                                                            1034 posts Send Private Message

My least favorite bun related thing is nail clipping day… it turns into a 3 day process because once I take an hour to do one rabbit, they all know what’s going on and won’t let me catch them so I have to wait until they trust me again to do the second one! I wish they were the rabbits that chewed their nails so I wouldn’t have to cut them.

• LittlePuffyTail

My least favorite bun related thing is nail clipping day.

YES!!!! I’ve had Elara since March and have yet to brave clipping her nails myself. Why do they have to be so difficult, the little buggers.

• Ava
                                                                Participant
                                                                144 posts Send Private Message

I don’t like how hard it is to find an exotics vet. It’s nigh impossible. So my bun goes to my dogs vet for now. Le sigh. I also don’t like the strong pee odor, nasty.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  2512 posts Send Private Message

Nail clipping day = use your human as a scratching post day

Especially with those razor sharp freshly clipped claws. *Zing* Both my arms, neckline area and neck are covered in red scratches. He also managed to hit me on the cheek with one of his long thumpers.

Sorry to hear that Mortimer. In the western world it’s slowly getting accepted that rabbits are house pets (instead of garden decorations), but it’s still a bit difficult to find a good vet.
                                                                    I’ve heard lots of people complaining about the lack of exotic vets in other areas. Appearantly it’s nearly impossible in Southern/Eastern Europe. It must be so hard to find one in Asia

Is your vet open to input from your side? Would he/she accept it if you researched treatments on the internet and brought in the articles? Some doctors are extremely offended if they have to admit that they don’t know much about a certain topic.

• jerseygirl
                                                                    22345 posts Send Private Message

Last week, I found a small piece of hay in my sugar canister. And a hay seed in my bunny slipper’s ear. Lol. It really does get everywhere.
                                                                      I’ve found carpeted areas in the home don’t help. Here, I have carpeted hallway and living room and they always have hay and fur even though the rabbits go there. Where I was before, I had floors I could just quickly sweep to collect the fur and hay.

• jerseygirl
                                                                      22345 posts Send Private Message

Mortimer, there are 2 organisations (ACTAsia and Vets For Compassion) that have come together to hold events for training vets . A rabbit vet here from Australia was the main guest at last years event. So things are changing for the better.

• Luna's Parents
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        27 posts Send Private Message

She is always trying to get into our bedroom! Our bunny is free roam – she has access to our entire apartment with two exceptions: the first is the area by the TV, which we blocked off with a puppy pen because of all the wires, and the second is the bedroom because when she gets in there, she hides under the bed and makes us chase her around in circles. She is so intrigued by the bedroom and waits outside the door a lot – she makes it so hard for us to get in and out!

• Muj Mom N Bun
                                                                          Participant

Thank you so much all of you. Thanks for the reassurance and the wonderful support you all have been as a resource and a bunny bunch of friends. Nutmeg, thank you… truly, thank you. I somehow managed to rescue the sweetest rabbit I’ve ever seen and couldn’t imagine better! She just seems so perfect… nail clipping fights aside… (It’s absolutely no secret that I totally adore my BunBun’s spunk!) so I can’t handle the thought of losing her…. I’m just about at the point where I’ve now saved almost enough to cover the cost of the surgery and the office visit before it. The vet actually asked me if I wanted to consider doing everything all in one day… he told me he understands it can be hard without a car, depending on others… I was very impressed with him, but even I worry, if that would be the right option.

I’m glad to have read the other day that someone said that rabbit slays are getting far more safer and regularly done… but this is my little girl. I’ve told myself to prepare for it to be done early fall. Let the summer heat end, so no little buggers hopping or flying… and lower risk of her dehydrating.

• Nutmeg
                                                                            Participant

Oh you are so welcome Muj mom N Bun – Trust me I took 3 days off work just to watch her like a hawk. It doesn’t matter how much you read and prepare yourself – its still super stressful!
                                                                              And you wouldn’t be an awesome bunny mom if you didn’t worry!
                                                                              BUT look at it this way…. having her spay has an 80% chance of increasing her life span by more than DOUBLE due to eliminating the rest of uterine/ovarian cancer!

• BunnyLass568
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              446 posts Send Private Message

Sorry for not being active but these are all wonderful to read! Thank you all for sharing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pets-Passed away: Hailey (9 years old, half rat terrier and miniature pincher, Feb-5-2019),Monster (13 years old, mixed breed, Lhasa Apso and some form of terrier, Sep-14-2020), Demon (14 year old Lhasa Apso, Aug-3-2022) Blossom (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-7-2024) Thumper (6 year old bunny breed(s) unknown, April-12-2024)💔💔💔💔

Viewing 36 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Some of your least favorite bun related stuff