Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Snuggle safe really safe?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Nicolle
      Participant
      65 posts Send Private Message

I’m looking into getting a snuggle safe as my bun seems cold at night as it drops to under 10C In my house at night. I thought of getting a snuggle safe after seeing one in my local pet store.doing a bit of research I looked at reviews on Amazon and most are brilliant, but threre are quite a few where the snuggle safe has leaked and I’m worried it’s not worth the risk if I get a bad one. Thoughts? Am I best just turning the radiator next to his hutch on?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe-Microwave-Wireless-Heatpad-Fleece/dp/B0014LJKUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450096904&sr=8-1&keywords=snugglesafe

• Mimsy
        Participant
        271 posts Send Private Message

I have 3 that I’ve had for over 10 years. I had one that I over heated in the microwave and that did make it leak and had to be thrown out.

I’ve used them for after surgeries or very old/sick pets and never had anyone chew on them. For someone young and healthy I’m not sure if I’d trust them not to chew on it. the plastic is very hard, so it would not be easy to chew through, but a determined bunny I’m sure could.

• tobyluv
          Participant
          3310 posts Send Private Message

I’m not familiar with Snuggle Safe, but maybe you could use a fleece blanket for your bunny. You could make it even cozier for him if you put the fleece blanket inside of a box.

• Bam
            16923 posts Send Private Message

If you elevate his cage a few inches off the ground f ex by putting stacks of old newspapers under it, and see to it that there is no draft in the room, I think a fleece blankie in a hidey-house would be sufficient. Bunnies generally handle cold very well, if it’s not moist or drafty. They grow thicker fur.

• Nicolle
              Participant
              65 posts Send Private Message

Ok thanks guys. I think I will stick with non snuggle safe ways. He doesn’t really like sitting in blankets. I’ve put them in for him and he just chucks them around and digs them but never seems to get to a place he feels he wants to sit in it. He’s not big on hiding either. He always sits so he can see out the ‘window’ bit when he’s in the cage (I only put him in if I’m out or at night…) His cage doesn’t sit on the ground anyway I don’t think it’s drafty…
                He is a strange bunny!
                No doubt I am just over reacting and he will be fine with a bit of cold. I might just turn the radiator up a bit in extra chilli nights. He just seemed so cold when I came down this morning he came in the living room which is slightly warmer and sat huddled with his ears up (he’s a lop).

• Rookie
                Participant
                466 posts Send Private Message

I have a lop and I had the same concerns…he would sit in the window on cold marble. ..I’d touch it and it would be freezing so I figured he too must feel it as cold.
                  So I got him the memory foam bathroom mats and put them in the marble. He still lover it and I feel much better knowing he is not directly on the cold surface.

• Vienna Blue in France
                  Participant
                  5317 posts Send Private Message

I was coming home the other night and drove around what I call “rabbit island” (a roundabout inhabited by bunnies, they are safe there and noone bothers them!!). It was 4 deg at midnight and they were all out nibbling away, so i think its fine for them.

Of course it’s all about thermic shock… if your rabbit (or cat or dog or even human being) is used to a heated house at 25 deg and suddenly gets put outside in zero temps, then you’re going to have a problem… but if it’s gentle descent into cold temp or increase into summer, they will adjust .
                    Bam has already given me a “comfort window” of a 10 degree difference… so for the minute my bun is still coming and going from outside (8 deg) to indoors (18deg)….

• Bam
                    16923 posts Send Private Message

Vienna, I think you can let your bun decide herself really, since she can go in and out as she pleases and her body has adjusted to that. The 10 degree rule is more for moving a bun permanently (or seasonally) in or out.
                      Nicolle, I think your bun will be fine, if he has blankies but doesn’t burrow into them he’s probably not freezing. You can give him a little extra food because he’ll need extra energy to keep warm and protein To grow thicker fur.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Snuggle safe really safe?