Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Small Flesh-Colored Bump on Side of Nose

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • LokiLover
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

Hello everyone,

I just noticed this small, flesh-colored bump or wart on the side of my rabbit’s nose (it is only on one side) — see photos. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I’ve heard that the papillomavirus can cause wart-like growths in rabbits; however I don’t know what that would look like in its early stages.

I took my rabbit (Loki) in for a vet check-up last week and he also received an RHDV2 booster there. However neither myself nor the vet noticed this small growth at the time. So maybe this is harmless, I just have never seen this before!

• Bam
        16946 posts Send Private Message

It could be a papilloma wart. They can go away on their own, or you can have them removed by a vet. I’d keep observing it for a bit. It’s good to take pictures regularly, because that way you can spot even smaller changes and keep track of the development in either direction over time.

Rabbit syphilis (not the same syphilis that humans can get)  can manifestas sores around the nose and mouth. So that’s another reason to keep a close eye. Rabbit syphilis also tend to cause cold-like symptoms and there can be sores around the genital area as well (but not all forms of rabbit syphilis cause sores in the genital area).

This could possibly be related to the vaccination, because any vaccination work by challenging the immune defense. If there’s something lurking in the body, it could happily seize the opportunity when the immune defense is busy making antibodies against another disease.

• LokiLover
            Participant

Thanks so much for your reply, Bam! I was also considering rabbit syphilis, but not sure how likely it would be (the last time he had contact with other rabbits was 6 months ago, they were two spayed girls <1 that I was fostering). So I don’t know how long it could lay dormant for before signs started to show. I have not seen any other sores on him (in the genital area or elsewhere).

Does make sense about possibly being related to the vaccination. I hope that this will resolve on its own once his immune system is 100% back on-line, but I will continue to monitor/take photos and bring him to the vet if needed.

• LBJ10
            16994 posts Send Private Message

Not all papilloma warts get big. Many of them stay quite small. I agree that you should just watch it for changes. They can go away on their own. Or, if it gets bigger, the vet can remove it.

• LokiLover
                Participant

Thank you for your reply! I didn’t realize that the warts could stay so small, because all of the photos I see online are really advanced cases. I will monitor it for sure.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Small Flesh-Colored Bump on Side of Nose