Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Simethicone dosage

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Sirius&Luna
      Participant
      2319 posts Send Private Message

Luna gave me a real scare last night. She was eating normally when I got home and topped up their hay, but a couple of hours later she wouldn’t eat her evening veg, and refused pellets. She was pressing her belly to the ground and looked uncomfortable, and when I picked her up she was very passive (normally she chews through my jumpers if I pick her up).

Anyway, I got out my simethicone, and realised I had no idea how much I should give her. I did some quick searching, and saw 0.5ml, so that’s what I gave her. An hour later, she was happily eating hay and was perfectly normal this morning.

But, my question is, what is the correct dosage for a 2kg rabbit?

Also, I assume I don’t need to take her to the vet now, unless this is a recurring problem?

• Bam
        16946 posts Send Private Message

Simethicone drops differ in strenght between brands from 20% to 100%. Infacol it’s 40%. 1-2 ml of 20% simethicone for first dose, 1 ml for follow up doses is what Dana Krempels recommend in her excellent stasis article http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html She doesn’t specify weight of bunny. It’s difficult to overdose simethicone by mistake because it’s not absorbed by the body, it only works locally in the GI canal and comes out with the poop.

I usually give 1 ml Infacol as a starter dose, then 0,5 ml.

• Sirius&Luna
          Participant

Thanks for the info Bam, it was infacol. I knew they couldn’t overdose, but I had no idea what a suitable amount would be. Happily we didn’t need a second dose

• Bam

I find it’s often enough with one dose. I have Infacol too, bought it in London. Bam actually likes it!

• Sirius&Luna
              Participant

Great that Bam likes it! I was surprised that Luna wasn’t enthusiastic about it, since it’s sweet. But I guess she wasn’t feeling enthusiastic about anything at that moment, but she did tolerate me syringing it into her mouth.

• Bam

My SO is going to Eastbourne in February, I’ve already told him to buy more Infacol. Booths should have it, I think?

• Vienna Blue in France
                  Participant
                  5317 posts Send Private Message

BOOTS do have it.

But DO NOT mention its for your bunny or anything other than a baby or they won’t sell it to you !!!
                    Trust me. I’ve had the experience…..

• Sirius&Luna
                    Participant

Boots have it, and I got mine in a regular supermarket, just off the shelf, so didn’t have to tell anyone what creature it was for ?

• Vienna Blue in France
                      Participant

Well, i wouldnt have normally, but i couldnt find it so had to ask, and it just sort of fell into the conversation and OMG it was like i threw “I’ve just killed my grandmother” into the conversation. She recoiled and sought management immediately!!!!!! LOL

• Bam

I remember that, Vienna, so I’ve instructed him to not say a word about rabbits! I got it at Tesco’s, but for a man it’s easier to find Boots at the airport. I know this because I actually got him to buy mascara for me at Boots last time he was in the UK.

• Vienna Blue in France
                          Participant

Yup Boots or Superdrug will do it xx

• LittlePuffyTail
                            18092 posts Send Private Message

With regards to Simethicone, just want to mention that in my experience if there is no improvement after the 3rd dose, it’s unlikely that it will help. I’ve had many gassy bunnies and sometimes even the first dose does wonders. Usually if bunny is still unwell after 3 doses, I eventually end up bringing them to the vet.

• Vienna Blue in France
                              Participant

Thats good to know LPT thanks

Rofl

• Sirius&Luna
                                Participant

???

• LittlePuffyTail
                                  18092 posts Send Private Message

Haha….well, I felt it was very important.

I deleted my extra posts. I’m very impatient with computers. If something doesn’t work right away, I just keep clicking.

• Bam

=D

But I do agree it is important, if you don’t see any improvement after 3rd dose, it’s time to contact the vet.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Simethicone dosage