Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Seems like she had a cold

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnymama
      Participant
      161 posts Send Private Message

I just wanted to post  this in case anyone has similar thing happen. Baby by 3 year old dwarf started sneezing. Now rabbits will sneeze when they are too warm but we purposely keep the house temp 66-69 for the buns.  She sneezed for about 4 days and then she sorta started to cough.  It seemed like a guttereral cough like a human would. I kept a close watch and she was eating and pooping. Then about another 4 days later she was doing this coughing thing with a choking almost like she was throwing up (which rabbits can’t do by the way). I assumed she was choking on nasal drip.  She had all the same symptons I had the previous month when I had a cold. So to the vet she went.  He did a chest xray, head xray, checked her teeth, listened to her heart and couldn’t find anything wrong. He did two different throat cultures and still nothing.  He also did some blood test that came back fine. But I said to him very clearly –there is something wrong with her – I know her and she is having some sort of an issue. He gave her a shot and then gave us the purple pills to crush up, mix with jelly and give to her by mouth using a syringe for 7 days.  Right after bringing her home later that day she instantly seemed better. I think she coughed maybe 2 or 3 times more and than that was it.  It’s perplexing tho that the dr couldn’t  find anything wrong but there was something very wrong with her. She has been fine ever since and I just wanted to share this experience with everyone.

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

Hmm interesting.  I don’t know much about this subject but someone who does will show up. 

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

When she would sneeze would there be any white goop? Seems like your vet was very thorough though. Sometimes bunnies can stump even the best vets. I know my own very rabbit savvy vet has been stumped by Rucy before.

I may have said allergies or dusty hay, but the fact she seemed like she was choking is rather perplexing and that she seemed to get better with antibiotics also seems to be an indication that she was fighting something. (though usually a 100% turnaround wouldn’t happen wiithin just a couple of hours of the first dose. What was the shot he gave her?)

Keep us updated.

• KatnipCrzy
            Participant
            2981 posts Send Private Message

I am curious about the injection also- if it was an anti-inflammatory then that could explain why you would see results right away.  Now as it what was inflammed- I am not sure- but if something in her nasal passages or throat that the vet could not see was inflammed and “clogging” normal breathing, drainage, etc- that could make sense.

• BinkyBunny

Katnip – Ah…good to know! I learn so much from you!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

WOW Well I’m glad she’s better-I’ve never heard of anything like that….Your vet sounds very good though!

• bunnymama
                  Participant

Thanks for the replies. Baby was actually sick during the holidays and this is the first chance I’ve had to post about it. Here are replies to your questions. She did not have any nasal discharge at all. The vet told me that allergies in rabbits have not been proven (since I totally changed everything to get her to stop sneezing and it didn’t work). I will confirm later today what the shot was he gave her. Thanks.

• bunnymama
                    Participant

The injection shot and pills that were crushed up and given in jelly with syringe was baytril. Both the pill and injection were baytril according to the receipt. It was a wonder drug in this case for my little girl.

• Slater91
                      Participant
                      56 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for this, little Jimmy has started to sneeze as well, well, once or twice over the last week. It sounds cute but I was a bit worried as i did not know they could do this.

He is a weird one 🙂

• Slater91
                        Participant
                        56 posts Send Private Message

Forgot to say that I am glad your little guy is ok again….. 🙂

• bunnymama
                          Participant

Thanks Slater91….remember that if a rabbit is too warm -they will sneeze. According to my vet, rabbits perfer house temps between 60 and 70. So if your house is warmer than 70, the house temp may be causing Little Jimmie to sneeze and a occasional sneeze is okay. But Baby was sneezing mutiple time per day for several days in a row before it went into the sneezing/coughing/choking thing. Keep an eye on the little guy and feel free t post again if you need to….

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

Glad Baby’s OK now!!

• MimzMum
                              Participant
                              8029 posts Send Private Message

OMG bunnymama, I think you may have found my problem in your post.

I’ve had a lop rabbit, about two years old, that has been sneezing on and off over the winter and making wheezing sounds for no apparent reason of late. I have taken him to the vet for this before and she also could find nothing clinically wrong with him. But the hubby keeps the house temperature way high and we recently had to drop it due to our convalescent dog being indoors. When outdoor temps dropped, he boosted the heat again and Mimzy started sneezing! I had no idea rabbits will sneeze when too warm!

I am almost positive this is the reason he’s been having trouble now! Thank you so much for this information and I am glad your bunny has recovered!

• bunnymama
                                Participant

MimzMum – so glad that my post helped. This is EXACTLY why I love binkybunny – bunny slaves helping each other. Hope the bun stops sneezing soon. Your dog is beautiful by the way….bunnymama

• BinkyBunny

Bunnymama – So when you turned down the temps, did that solve the problem completely? That is so interesting! I love learning something new. Did the vet explain why warmer temperatures would make some bunnies sneeze? I’d like to get to the bottom of that! Time for me to research.

• bunnymama
                                    Participant

Hi BinkyBunny – the vet told me when I got my first rabbit that they don’t like warm temps. They like it between 60 and 70 F. Baby sneezing wasn’t from the temp since I always keep it around 68-69. It was the shot from the dr and the meds that made her “bunny cold” go away completely within 24 hours…….thanks for the follow up…..

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Seems like she had a cold